Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Still Waters

Stephen Fry: "only humans are homophobic"

152 posts in this topic

It's just a circular argument with no resolution, suffice it to say that the burden of proof does not rest on me to prove the fantastical.

burden-of-proof.jpg

;)

2 people like this

Morals come from culture, not the other way around.

You are wrong. People are born with a sense of right and wrong - or in other words, morals. This is nondependant as to ones culture.

Give me empirical proof that your god created anything. A book of jewish fairy tales doesn't count.

More hatefulness spewed forth by you that you don't even recognize as such.

Tell me, who created the universe. How did everything around us come from absolutely nothing?

I could honestly care less about you, your friends, or your/their orientation.

Again, more hateful and smugness.

Nonetheless, don't care about me all you want. Don't go grouping me into categories I don't belong, however, based upon knowing nothing about me.

Oh, so you've managed to work up a full psychological profile of me based on a few statements and know now exactly how and why I feel the way I do about things, right?

Bravo.

Certain psychological principals apply across the board and have nothing to do with individuality.

Study psychology and you will find this to be true.

I thought preaching was against the rules.

1 person likes this

burden-of-proof.jpg

;)

mQlKr5D7NEWgegbboaHwkA2.jpg

;)

2 people like this

It's just a circular argument with no resolution, suffice it to say that the burden of proof does not rest on me to prove the fantastical.

I just asked this in the last response to you - tell me, where has all that has come to be come from to begin with? How did everything spring forth from nothing?

If you believe that, then you believe in the fantastical yourself.

Also, can you prove to me that God does not exist?

That burden of proof lies on religion - see my post above

2 people like this

Can you chose to make yourself fall in love with someone of the same sex? If you can.. can you tell me how easy it is?

Can you explain to me the relevance of this question as it applies to what I stated?

I don't know that people can "make" themselves fall in love with members of the same sex anymore than they can "make" themselves fall in love with someone of the opposite sex (or someone who is transgendered, etc).

As for the second question, again, it is no easier to fall in love with a member of the same sex than it is to fall in love with someone of the opposite sex.

Being as I know there is only one God I would not believe I have turned away from yours (unless we believe in the same God of course).

That's it.. off into the darkness for you my friend.. You and I can have fun in the darkness.. Just don't tell my husband, he gets a bit weird about that sort of thing lol ..

That said, you'd be well within reason to state I have turned away from your god (or gods) if you truly believe in them and do your best to live by their laws due to the level of belief you hold in him/her/them.

You will be in darkness forever, and you wont know it, but you will be there, with no light.. and you wont notice it..and you will just be in darkness and not know it...So then you will not know . but hey it might teach you a lesson...and you wont know what that is, because its hidden in the darkness .. .......... :P

I haven't chosen "my" god. God has chosen me

So..he made you follow him? You didnt make a choice ?

They can only choose to turn towards Him

That is still choosing to follow god.. it is still a choice........ You chose to follow god..Just like I did and everyone else who chose to... We made the decision...

Edited by Beckys_Mom
1 person likes this

You are wrong. People are born with a sense of right and wrong - or in other words, morals. This is nondependant as to ones culture.

Have you ever studied ethnography and ethnology? How many cultural anthropology clase have you taken? Ever spent and time in the field with a more ancestral group of people?

Do all that, as I have, then tell me that morals do not come from culture.

More hatefulness spewed forth by you that you don't even recognize as such.

I didn't realize that asking for proof of something was hateful....

Tell me, who created the universe. How did everything around us come from absolutely nothing?

That second statement betrays your lack of science education. The observable universe did not 'come from absolutely nothing'. It could have come from quantum flucations, another universe, or could be a closed time-like curve, with no beginning nor no end. Cosmology and quantum physics are getting closer to an answer every day.

Again, more hateful and smugness.

Nonetheless, don't care about me all you want. Don't go grouping me into categories I don't belong, however, based upon knowing nothing about me.

I never grouped you anywhere. Sure, I implied it, and that was just me being smug. The fact remains, however, that you see homosexuality as something unnatural. It's not.

Certain psychological principals apply across the board and have nothing to do with individuality.

Study psychology and you will find this to be true.

I've studied much psychology. Your continued insistence on my 'hatefulness' simply isn't true. I can certainly be an ass at times ,but never hateful. Feel free to read all of my posts on this website. I'm far from hateful.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

Heh. I can't come in today, I got lost in a godless darkness.

Ohh my word.. that was funny.. :lol:

There's too much proselytizing going on in this thread for my liking....

Come on, have fun with it.. I do lol

1 person likes this

I thought preaching was against the rules.

It is, but no one here is preaching.

I am discussing my belief in God and responding to questions and comments posed to me. That is not against the rules anymore than you stating why you are an aetheist or Imaginarynumber1 stating his belief that the Bible is a book of jewish fairy tales.

I just asked this in the last response to you - tell me, where has all that has come to be come from to begin with? How did everything spring forth from nothing?

If you believe that, then you believe in the fantastical yourself.

Again, it didn't come from 'nothing'. As I stated, there are several hypothesis for how the observable universe came to be the way it is. 'God did it' is not an answer.

As Bling said, the burden of proof is not on me. You are the one making the claim.

I am discussing my belief in God and responding to questions and comments posed to me. That is not against the rules anymore than you stating why you are an aetheist or Imaginarynumber1 stating his belief that the Bible is a book of jewish fairy tales.

Stating I'm an atheist is not against the rules.

I'm in love with a girl, I wonder why it's so wrong to care about someone romantically that's the same gender as myself.

That burden of proof lies on religion - see my post above

Your post above states you are an athesist because science cannot prove God exists.

Science cannot prove how everything around us came to be either. That being the case, do you believe that nothing is real?

Can you explain to me the relevance of this question as it applies to what I stated?

Because I was curious..I wanted to know if you felt it was a choice or not... ? I tend to ask questions when I get curious, I picked it up as a kid.. sigh

As for the second question, again, it is no easier to fall in love with a member of the same sex than it is to fall in love with someone of the opposite sex.

Just like I cannot force myself to have a sexual relationship with someone of the same sex.. I find that impossible to do... We cannot help who it is we feel attracted to.. We just feel it.. I was born straight.. just like those who are gay were born that way.. Many will not like being gay, and have tried dating the opposite sex, marrying them thinking it will make the gay go away.. Some killed themselves thinking they were not normal because society said so... Humans are cruel... and stupid

1 person likes this

I'm in love with a girl, I wonder why it's so wrong to care about someone romantically that's the same gender as myself.

I'm in love with Left-Field. I want to hold him and be close to him everyday. How can something so wrong feel so right?

1 person likes this

Stating I'm an atheist is not against the rules.

And I never said it was. Stating my belief in God and responding to peoples questions pertaining to that belief is not against the rules either.

Because I was curious..I wanted to know if you felt it was a choice or not... ? I tend to ask questions when I get curious, I picked it up as a kid.. sigh

Just like I cannot force myself to have a sexual relationship with someone of the same sex.. I find that impossible to do... We cannot help who it is we feel attracted to.. We just feel it.. I was born straight.. just like those who are gay were born that way.. Many will not like being gay, and have tried dating the opposite sex, marrying them thinking it will make the gay go away.. Some killed themselves thinking they were not normal because society said so... Humans are cruel... and stupid

I get gay when I drink. Not 'sexually attracted to men' gay, but 'people get so hilariously uncomfortable when I drunkenly hit on them' gay.

I'm in love with Left-Field. I want to hold him and be close to him everyday. How can something so wrong feel so right?

:lol:

I'm finding myself strangely attracted also....I think I may be on the cusp of conversion

1 person likes this

How dare you try and steal my new boyfriend...He and I were to have fun in the darkness.. and here you are trying to snatch him from me..

I am taking you off my christmas card list for that bucko ... Now you will be sorry lol

:D

2 people like this

:lol:

I'm finding myself strangely attracted also....I think I may be on the cusp of conversion

You stay away! He doesn't want your lady bits!

1 person likes this

Science cannot prove how everything around us came to be either. That being the case, do you believe that nothing is real?

At the moment, science can't, but it's constantly improving, and so is our understanding of the universe, little by little.

2 people like this

You forgot to mention you are also judging others, telling them they live in darkness all because they didn't make the same choice as you did.. Naughty boy lol

3 people like this

Naughty boy lol

I think that's why I like him... ;)