Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Still Waters

How squirrels save for hard times, explored

5 posts in this topic

Humans could learn something about padding their nest eggs from squirrels, claim a team of U.S. researchers who say the animals have an innate knack for long-term savings strategies.

Psychologists from the University of California, Berkeley are gathering evidence to show the fox squirrels scampering around campus have a sound investment plan behind their nut gathering.

'Think of them as little bankers depositing money and spreading it out in different funds, and doing some management of those funds,' said Mikel Delgado, a doctoral student in psychology.

http://www.dailymail...hard-times.html

Very interesting....must resist urge to make vulgar joke resist resist

I love squirrels :wub:

Yes it's a good idea that they do prepare but squirrels and other critters will sometimes forget where

they store some of there cashes. I have squirrels living in a big maple tree in my yard and I have a walnut

tree growing out of a bush where the little critter buried it and forgot about. :yes:

One of my squirrels left a nut and took a tomato. If they didn't eat it within a few days and they buried it for later they are going to be disappointed when they dig it up and its decayed away.

I also rely on them to pick up the pears that have fallen off the tree. They never let me down and they even relieve the tree of the ones left on it.