Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Object from river-bed, Florida

Macroramphosis

Ft Pierce, FL, was the location where the item below was found. I'm not in the least saying it is ancient, valuable, or deeply significant. In fact, I think it probably came out of a hurricane-damaged house or boat, but what I do want to know is what it is, or was.

It's made of some form of amalgam, perhaps pewter, though it is not very pliable. It has decorated motifs on it in places, and appears to be hollow through the long part. Someone suggested it may be a "lighter-pole", where it was filled with oil and wick and lit candles and lamps high up. Someone else has suggested that it may be part of a curtain rail.

Any ideas ?

20121006_193033_zps4234770b.jpg

20121006_192906_zpsb3f46ecc.jpg

20121006_193021_zps9fbab335.jpg

20121006_192840-1_zps9314e79d.jpg

20121006_192830_zps588922b2.jpg

post-95206-0-58470700-1349622830_thumb.j

• Like 2

Part of a metal fence design is the first thing that came to mind. Around the area I live a lot of people have front fences often containing small details.

Some examples of what I mean:

fencing_styles.jpg

It's probably a long shot, but yeah just one suggestion. Interesting find.

• Like 2

Im thinking maybe a part or an old bed , Or maybe an old style lantern holder ?

TiP.

It could be what was used to light the street lanterns at night time. It had a hook to open and close the lanterns

• Like 1

I researched your town since I am not familiar with the area. This was one of the first sites from the search engine. http://www.treasurecoast.com/index.cfm/st-lucie-county/fort-pierce/

Fort Pierce is among the oldest communities on the east coast of Florida with its rich history beginning in 1837 when Lt. Benjamin K. Pierce built the fort that was the headquarters for the U.S. Army during the Seminole Indian War.

Maybe its the handle and hand guard of an army soldier's sword.

AMERICAN

AND EUROPEAN SWORD

THE

HISTORICAL COLLECTIONS

OF

THE UNITED STATES

NATIONAL

MUSEUM

BY

THEODORE

T. BELOTE

Curator

of History, Uiiited States National Museum

http://www.google.co...wv8Gr8MwVoKC3ZA

It's a PDF file with 228 pages of different swords from differnt times and cultures

pg 65

edit title and author + page number

Edited by John Rayne

I think the boat hook makes the most sense. Whatever it is nice find.

I agree with the boat hook. It's the first thing I thought of when I saw it. Pretty interesting. Is there some way to clean it up and remove the corrosion?

Thomas J - could be, good call !

Tipotep - maybe, part of a head frame. Good call !

Wolfknight - that's what I said in the OP. But the problem I see is that a wooden handle was used for these lighters and this object is too small in aperture of tube for a wooden dowel.

John Rayne - I looked through your PDF and did not see a sword with either the guard so circular as I have pictured, nor a pommel as pictured. I do not think it is a sword handle, unfortunately, but thank you for the time you took to post the PDF.

Prof Buzzkill and Darkwind, and KMT - as a seaman, I see no way the dimensions of the object could be used as a boat hook, especially tube diameter for a wooden handle. The "hook" is also far too curved - a boathook needs to be released of its burden very fast sometimes ! I do not know if we can bath it in some acid or not. We're still struggling to find out precisely what the damn thing is made of !

Wreck7 - do you have an example you can show us, please ?

Thanks for the interest and time taken to post your comments and ideas, people. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Could be almost anything. Hard to tell since it's obviously missing parts, though I might second wreck7's opinion.

Material wise, I going with some sort of zinc alloy, either pot metal or the slightly more durable "white bronze." Could even be a modern peice of cast aluminum. Any pewter I've seen pictures of out of old wrecks didn't look corroded like that does though the photo could be missleading.