Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Likely Guy

Ever felt a connection to a place

14 posts in this topic

Just to clarify at the start, I'm not talking about something like, "Oh, ancient Egyptians fascinate me and I want to go there someday", kind of connection.

For me it started when I was little, watching WW2 documentaries and everytime I heard an air raid siren go off (particulary the London Blitz) I'd feel a cold chill and the hair on the back of neck would stand on end.

Fast forward a few years and when I was 15 the high school I went to sponsored a drama field trip to London. The strange thing was, was when I got there I felt 'right in my element' and not at all like a tourist. I could take one look at the city map and walk straight to where I wanted to go.

I returned about 20 years later and the same sense of 'being at home' enfolded me again.

Keep in mind that the first time I went to London it wasn't my conscious decision. The choice of location had already been made by the school so I didn't have an 'inside yearning' to go there.

Also bear in mind that my mother has researched almost every branch of our ancestory back 200 years and there is no English blood in my veins that we can tell. So it's not a familial or cultural connection I have.

I also didn't have that feeling when I left London and explored the rest of the country. I 'became a tourist' again.

Past life? I don't know but it's probably the best explanation. I do know though, that before I die I'll go back again someday. Something tells me I have to.

I'm curious if anyone else has stumbled upon somewhere they've never been before and felt the same type of connection.

- thanks in advance. :)

Yes. New Orleans,and Japan,both had this affect on me .

I want to be buried in japan actually .

First time I went ,I was only 20 .I would weep in bed every night ,thanking god ,I got to see it with ny own eyes,before I died .

1 person likes this

Maybe a reincarnation or maybe foresaw future events in a dream. Strange indeed.

1 person likes this

Japan has always made me feel homesick in some way.

Even now it holds an attraction, the shrines, the countryside, hills and mountains...everything.

One thing I always wanted was a set or two of Samurai Swords...I don't know why but just holding one feels right.

Anyways..it could be nothing more than being enamored from something I seen as a kid but yeah, I have had such feelings.

1 person likes this

when i was a wee tike i was fascinated with dinosaurs and large earth moving equipment, i used to draw them together in scenes... now that i'm a lot older i know what that meant..

there is another mundane side to this... when i was also a wee tike [a person] would take me with him to get drugs.. when i was a little older and we'd drive through that area i'd say stuff like "i don't know why but i know this area.. like i have dreamt it before" (this was that same drug scoring area)

many years later i asked questions and pieced it together.

both deal with 'previous experiences' in a different way.

when i was a wee tike i was fascinated with dinosaurs and large earth moving equipment, i used to draw them together in scenes... now that i'm a lot older i know what that meant..

there is another mundane side to this... when i was also a wee tike [a person] would take me with him to get drugs.. when i was a little older and we'd drive through that area i'd say stuff like "i don't know why but i know this area.. like i have dreamt it before" (this was that same drug scoring area)

many years later i asked questions and pieced it together.

both deal with 'previous experiences' in a different way.

Okay. Well kind of, except I'd never been to London before. I never had a 'previous experience'.I'm curious about the dinosaur/bulldozer thing though. What do you now know about 'the meaning of it'?

Awesome topic and awesome story ..

I've felt more comfortable in some cities then in others, and felt like I've been living there all my life, but nothing like you've described ..

Maybe I haven't visited that place yet :)

2 people like this

When I went to the job interview for my current job....as soon as I walked in the door the place hit me....home.....

Not the connection the OP means really....but...I knew that was were I should be..

1 person likes this

YES! I feel the exact same way you do about London, OP, and have felt that way ever since I was a child. I have never been there, unfortunately, but it is as though there is a part of me that is there, and I will not feel whole until I can go there myself.

1 person likes this

I feel connected to japan for some reason never been there.

1 person likes this

I went to Scotland last summer.

I had been there before, but this time, I visited a little coastal town called Oban. I have never felt a connection like that. It was coming home. I got pretty emotional.

Now, I'd love to do a past life regression - but at the same time, I am aware that I have kind of convinced myself that I have probably had a past life in Oban. I am therefore sceptical that anything that might come up under hypnosis might be wishful thinking, producing ideas that I have planted into my own head. I don't know. I'd still like to try one day. It's just so damn expensive...

Edited by Anita K.

The ocean

I sort of felt that way when I first went to Chicago... My friend's grandma took me and her and even though her grandma had lived there for like 6 months I was catching on and navigating the city like I knew where I was going. I'm really glad I don't live too far from there so I can take the AmTrak when it gets upgraded. It'll only be a 3-4 hr train ride over there... :tsu:

I feel strange going into older houses and older parts of towns, no matter what town it is. I like to go walking around town at night (I live in a town with a 3000 population) and when I get to some of the oldest parts, right next to the river, it's almost like I know exactly how everything was originally, in its prime. All the old houses that need some paint or reconstruction cause no one lives in them, the old factories that are now tourist shops, new buildings feel out of place... it's a very strange feeling.

I've gotten it in houses too.. it's like the houses 'speak' to me. Some are happy and some are sad or angry. A friend of mine has a very angry house she used to live in. .. I was looking at a house I almost bought that was being renovated and I got a strong feeling of 'home' and I automatically didn't the structural changes the owner had made.

So yeah, I kinda understand B)

Africa.