Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ever felt a connection to a place

Likely Guy

Just to clarify at the start, I'm not talking about something like, "Oh, ancient Egyptians fascinate me and I want to go there someday", kind of connection.

For me it started when I was little, watching WW2 documentaries and everytime I heard an air raid siren go off (particulary the London Blitz) I'd feel a cold chill and the hair on the back of neck would stand on end.

Fast forward a few years and when I was 15 the high school I went to sponsored a drama field trip to London. The strange thing was, was when I got there I felt 'right in my element' and not at all like a tourist. I could take one look at the city map and walk straight to where I wanted to go.

I returned about 20 years later and the same sense of 'being at home' enfolded me again.

Keep in mind that the first time I went to London it wasn't my conscious decision. The choice of location had already been made by the school so I didn't have an 'inside yearning' to go there.

Also bear in mind that my mother has researched almost every branch of our ancestory back 200 years and there is no English blood in my veins that we can tell. So it's not a familial or cultural connection I have.

I also didn't have that feeling when I left London and explored the rest of the country. I 'became a tourist' again.

Past life? I don't know but it's probably the best explanation. I do know though, that before I die I'll go back again someday. Something tells me I have to.

I'm curious if anyone else has stumbled upon somewhere they've never been before and felt the same type of connection.

- thanks in advance. :)

• Like 6

Yes. New Orleans,and Japan,both had this affect on me .

I want to be buried in japan actually .

First time I went ,I was only 20 .I would weep in bed every night ,thanking god ,I got to see it with ny own eyes,before I died .

• Like 2

Maybe a reincarnation or maybe foresaw future events in a dream. Strange indeed.

• Like 1

Japan has always made me feel homesick in some way.

Even now it holds an attraction, the shrines, the countryside, hills and mountains...everything.

One thing I always wanted was a set or two of Samurai Swords...I don't know why but just holding one feels right.

Anyways..it could be nothing more than being enamored from something I seen as a kid but yeah, I have had such feelings.

• Like 4

when i was a wee tike i was fascinated with dinosaurs and large earth moving equipment, i used to draw them together in scenes... now that i'm a lot older i know what that meant..

there is another mundane side to this... when i was also a wee tike [a person] would take me with him to get drugs.. when i was a little older and we'd drive through that area i'd say stuff like "i don't know why but i know this area.. like i have dreamt it before" (this was that same drug scoring area)

many years later i asked questions and pieced it together.

both deal with 'previous experiences' in a different way.

• Like 1

when i was a wee tike i was fascinated with dinosaurs and large earth moving equipment, i used to draw them together in scenes... now that i'm a lot older i know what that meant..

there is another mundane side to this... when i was also a wee tike [a person] would take me with him to get drugs.. when i was a little older and we'd drive through that area i'd say stuff like "i don't know why but i know this area.. like i have dreamt it before" (this was that same drug scoring area)

many years later i asked questions and pieced it together.

both deal with 'previous experiences' in a different way.

Okay. Well kind of, except I'd never been to London before. I never had a 'previous experience'.I'm curious about the dinosaur/bulldozer thing though. What do you now know about 'the meaning of it'?

Awesome topic and awesome story ..

I've felt more comfortable in some cities then in others, and felt like I've been living there all my life, but nothing like you've described ..

Maybe I haven't visited that place yet :)

• Like 2

When I went to the job interview for my current job....as soon as I walked in the door the place hit me....home.....

Not the connection the OP means really....but...I knew that was were I should be..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

YES! I feel the exact same way you do about London, OP, and have felt that way ever since I was a child. I have never been there, unfortunately, but it is as though there is a part of me that is there, and I will not feel whole until I can go there myself.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I went to Scotland last summer.

I had been there before, but this time, I visited a little coastal town called Oban. I have never felt a connection like that. It was coming home. I got pretty emotional.

Now, I'd love to do a past life regression - but at the same time, I am aware that I have kind of convinced myself that I have probably had a past life in Oban. I am therefore sceptical that anything that might come up under hypnosis might be wishful thinking, producing ideas that I have planted into my own head. I don't know. I'd still like to try one day. It's just so damn expensive...

Edited by Anita K.

I sort of felt that way when I first went to Chicago... My friend's grandma took me and her and even though her grandma had lived there for like 6 months I was catching on and navigating the city like I knew where I was going. I'm really glad I don't live too far from there so I can take the AmTrak when it gets upgraded. It'll only be a 3-4 hr train ride over there... :tsu:

I feel strange going into older houses and older parts of towns, no matter what town it is. I like to go walking around town at night (I live in a town with a 3000 population) and when I get to some of the oldest parts, right next to the river, it's almost like I know exactly how everything was originally, in its prime. All the old houses that need some paint or reconstruction cause no one lives in them, the old factories that are now tourist shops, new buildings feel out of place... it's a very strange feeling.

I've gotten it in houses too.. it's like the houses 'speak' to me. Some are happy and some are sad or angry. A friend of mine has a very angry house she used to live in. .. I was looking at a house I almost bought that was being renovated and I got a strong feeling of 'home' and I automatically didn't the structural changes the owner had made.

So yeah, I kinda understand B)

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hi Am new on here but wanted to ask if anyone has had a feeling of belonging to a house they have never actually been in and felt a really strong emotional bond with. I recently moved to an area I said I'd never live in. However on a walk along the sea front with my children I was hit with this beautifully stunning Georgian house in ruins quite literally. But I immediately felt an overpowering connection to this house and I don't no why I could see it in its former glory I envisaged walking through the massive door greeted by a stunningly grand hallway olive green paint on the wall solid mahogany spiral stair case with the most intracate detail beautiful chandallear generations of photographs in gold frames all the way up the stair case. This house is literally in ruins just standing there adandoned and it honestly brakes my heart as something deep inside me tells me that's my house I want it how it was. But oddly enough something in me is saying if I was ever to get that house (which is highly unlikely) I'd restore it but not for me or my family but I'd like it to be a home for ex service men and women who maybe have no where else to go with a full time councillor to help with any ptsd issues ect it room to help them get computer skills and build up a cv. I just want to help and for some reason that's what I want for "MY" home. Has anyone else ever had them same feeling? What dose it mean?

I had it .    When I first moved to  the area i now live, I went for a motorcycle ride , cruising along this winding country road , passed a property that grabbed me . Dont know why, the outlay, orientation, the big pine trees ( I like  them ) the type of house, everything. I remember thinking " I would LOVE to live in a place like that for a while . "

20 years later, I decided to get up out of the valley for a while up onto the mountain.  But rent is high and places scarce, and I own a nice little cabin in the valley down by the river. Anyway I looked on internet, straight away this place jumped out at me , I could not believe how cheap it was, I thought it was a misprint. I rang up and heaps of people wanted it but the Lady and I 'clicked'.

Yep, it was that house. So I got to stay there  for 6 months. It was great !     But not as well positioned as the cabin ...  but also, when there ....   Ooooooo    a bath !    Sheds !   Electricity , running hot water !  en suite bathroom ... flush toilet !    ......   and bills to pay   :(  

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I'm from South Africa. My mom and 3 siblings and I once toured around the UK. 

One day when we were in Dublin, all 5 of us got the strange feeling of being "at home". It felt like coming back to a place I've been all my life. We all did. This subject further intrigued me a few years later, after watching an episode of "Who do you think you are", where actor Jeremy Irons walked across a rugby field and stopped mid-sentence, suddenly with a puzzled, confused look on his face. He said he's never been there before, but felt like he knew the place. At the end of the episode, it was revealed that his family owned that piece of land in the previous century, and sold it for the school to be built there (along with the rugby field).

This kind of confirmed what I was suspecting. A sort of genetic memory. 

Now to conclude, I have since found out the following: My family crest has not one, but TWO clovers on them, and as far as I know, these are mostly Irish (or Gaelic at least) in origin. My family arrived in South Africa in the 1770's more or less, and came from the Netherlands. I don't know further back than that. Yet. 

But somewhere, somehow, there must be a connection to Dublin. 

• Like 2

I have found myself feeling a sense of longing for Japan, not necessarily the city part but some of the older areas.

Basically Japan in general. I don't know why but I felt the need to learn the Japanese language even though I'll probably never use it. Actually when I seen articles as a kid whereas Japan was becoming increasing westernized I felt a sense of loss, as if Japan is no longer the country I once knew.

I also felt something similar to Ireland too. But it is entirely possible, and far more likely, that all of this is probably just a baseless fascination too.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm from Michigan. Lansing to be exact. There are two places that I will name. 1 is a city that I always felt a strange connection to while the other is a place I feel I am meant to go to for some reason. The first place is Chicago, Illinois. During my childhood the only time i ever went to Chicago at all was on the way to Wisconsin to see family that lives out in WI. We'd stop at rest stops out there sometimes that's it. But then when I was 18 I went with my dad sometimes who was driving semi through the midwest. I'd help him unload stuff and he paid me to help. He'd go to Chicago every week. I'v always felt an interesting connection to that city when going through there. Being from Michigan, Detroit you'd think would have more connection to me as a big city. But there was always this connection to Chicago for me. Then just this week I went on a trip through amtrak to see a friend of mine in another state. (I'll say what state that was later) Well I had to take a bus to Chicago's Union Train Station. Well when I first arrived in Chicago there was just something about Chicago that felt home to me. It was an eerie feeling. Now yes I had been there before but remember it's a big city and these were parts of the city that I hadn't seen. 

Now Minnesota or in particular u could say the twin cities is the next one. I don't have a feeling like I've been here before. But I have this feeling like I'm supposed to be here. I've always had this feeling in general that I'm supposed to get out of my city in Michigan. And recently have been real tired of my life there and wanna leave. But also I've had connections to Minnesota for the last few years. Many of my favorite things have connections to Minnesota somehow. Including probably my best friend who lives there that I met a few years ago. Then when I look back to childhood I realize interesting connections to the state. For instance the one thing in school when they taught us about the states that always stuck out to me most was about Minnesota. Their number of lakes. It stuck out to me most. I don't remember much about other states and what I do remember wasn't that interesting. Also even though it was just another random city that I had no connection to growing up I always had this special feeling when hearing the word Minneapolis. Idk why. There's so many connections and gut feelings on it. I actually am in Minnesota while writing this as that is where I went this week when I said I visited a friend. I would hope to move here someday when I can afford to. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Yes. I can very much relate to most of what you all said. Like some of you, I really love Japan, although I don’t know that much about it. I don’t know the language, most cultural reflections on Japanese society, or other things. I have for a long time felt very connected to Japan, especially the thought of living a life there with friends that you walk to and from school to (I have friends just never been able to do this). I like the idea of how life is shown in some anime. Just an average life in Japan. I really feel connected to Japan as I have said. I like the life of more Windows computers and flip phones better than America. I like the idea of turning on the tv and hearing/watching Japanese broadcasts even if it’s some boring cooking show. Luckily for me there are people in my family who understand what I mean to a certain extent. In fact I’m just a kid who looked up a thread and decided to post (13 actually and I live smack in the middle of the heart of the U.S.). I hate America’s pop culture (modern only, love ‘30s-‘80s). Yet ironically I love Japanese pop culture and music even though it was modeled after American ‘60s, ‘70s, ‘80s, and ‘90s (which I said I liked). Also funny thing to think about:

1. How many 7th graders keep and use a Microsoft Windows Pocket PC PDA from 2004?

Me.

2. How many kids care for Windows 98 today?

Not too many, if any, but me.

3. How many kids want a flip phone?

Some, me.

4. How many kids feel like they are older than their own class and feel like they know things about life and the world that an 80 year old man would know?

Not too many, me.

I think I’ve made my point. I don’t enjoy my life in America all that much. In fact, it tires me. Yet when I think about a normal life in Japan, that brings me an urge to go there. One day I plan to live there as I feel I should. May it be as soon as I am capable of doing so? Why most certainly yes. Nothing will keep me from living there even if I’m homeless on the streets of Tokyo or Kyoto. I’ll live there unless something happens to where I won’t want to or can’t. I’m glad that somewhere there is a community of people who understand what I feel and what even if you don’t.

:)

I don’t think anymore will be said. 

:)

-NR

On 10/7/2012 at 6:50 PM, Ryu said:

Japan has always made me feel homesick in some way.

Even now it holds an attraction, the shrines, the countryside, hills and mountains...everything.

One thing I always wanted was a set or two of Samurai Swords...I don't know why but just holding one feels right.

Anyways..it could be nothing more than being enamored from something I seen as a kid but yeah, I have had such feelings.

:) Yup

• 1 month later...

Past life or spirit guide you back there.

For me as Japanese soldier invade Malaysia. I got headshot and die in Malaysia. Now reincarnated, born in Malaysia, i still love many Japanese stuff, food sushi, people, culture. 

Edited by DRAGYN RAKEN

• 8 months later...

I actually signed up for this site just because of this topic. I've always been an oddly emotional/empathetic person, getting weird sensations, tinglings in my spine, lurching of the stomach, as if I'm feeling things that are associated not with people but with places. Often these weird sensations come more with photos of places vs. actual places. This morning, as I was perusing real estate online (for a city I have never been to but have thought about moving to), I came across a house and the minute I clicked on the picture, my stomach did a somersault. I was overcome with this feeling - butterflies mixed with happy tears with a side of anxiety. It was the most bizarre, most intense feeling of this kind that I have ever had. That this was my place. Not just the town, but this house in particular was where I was meant to be. Sadly for me, the house is grossly out of my price range but it really brought forth how intense this somewhat indescribable feeling could be. After a quick Google search i came across this site and I'm happy I did because it gave a touch of validation to the feeling of belonging/place.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

i think this works both ways... i went to this one European city that from the moment i got there i felt dread and couldn't get away fast enough. can't really say what about it had such an effect on me but it wasn't a place i was comfortable staying in. 

• Like 1