Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Ashotep

Teen’s stomach removed

28 posts in this topic

A teenager has had her stomach removed in life-saving emergency surgery after she drank a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen during a night out in northern England.

The 18-year-old, named in media reports as Gabby Scanlan, was rushed to hospital after she began feeling breathless and suffering severe stomach pain on consuming the drink at a bar in Lancaster on Thursday.

She was diagnosed with a perforated stomach and doctors performed emergency surgery to remove the organ, Lancashire Police said.Read More

Poor girl, she was celebrating her 18th birthday.

Anyone ever had one of these drinks?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

read about this today, poor girl.... you assume at least drinks from the bar are safe

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw this earlier when I first got to work. My friend lives right near Heysham so I'm going to ask her if she has heard of the girl or anything since she also works at one of the high schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I smell a lawsuit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might drink some thermite, worth a go.

Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what she will do as far as nutrition goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How would you ingest liguid nitrogen?

Wouldn't your lips and tongue freeze solid instantly?

Did they run out of icecubes? I would think criminal charges and a civil lawsuit will follow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drinking PBR will do the same thing to your stomach. :tu:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw this on the news, poor girl. Using liquid nitrogen is not something a bar tender should be doing surely? No disrepect to bar tenders!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow i can't believe this sort of thing is being served to people in their drinks!

i figure she must have had several of these drinks to be affected the way she was. either that or she had an existing condition that was aggravated by it.

otherwise wouldn't a bunch of people from the same bar have had similar problems?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate that she has no stomach anymore, but I'm sorry she was dumb.

If it looks like something harmful and you've had a chemistry class (which by 18 she should have) don't drink it.

It's like petting a barking, snarling dog and complaining when you get bitten.

And yes the club that served the drinks are morons too.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate that she has no stomach anymore, but I'm sorry she was dumb.

If it looks like something harmful and you've had a chemistry class (which by 18 she should have) don't drink it.

It's like petting a barking, snarling dog and complaining when you get bitten.

And yes the club that served the drinks are morons too.

I think you are being a bit harsh calling her dumb , If she had of just drank liquid nitrogen for the fun of it , then sure she's dumb but she got this drink at a licenced venue and it was claimed to be safe . She had just turned 18 and was having fun and trying new things , if the drink wasn't safe it should never have been put on the menu to start with .

My 2C

TiP.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you are being a bit harsh calling her dumb , If she had of just drank liquid nitrogen for the fun of it , then sure she's dumb but she got this drink at a licenced venue and it was claimed to be safe . She had just turned 18 and was having fun and trying new things , if the drink wasn't safe it should never have been put on the menu to start with .

My 2C

TiP.

Well then you think I'm a bit harsh. It's my opinion.

If a licensed establishment tried to sell me a bottle of nails to drink, I'd know better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well then you think I'm a bit harsh. It's my opinion.

If a licensed establishment tried to sell me a bottle of nails to drink, I'd know better.

The difference is that a licenced establishment wouldn't sell a bottle of nails but they sold this drink ....

Edit : To add - I'm not trying to have a go at you and I can respect everyones opinions :tu:

TiP.

Edited by tipotep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The difference is that a licenced establishment wouldn't sell a bottle of nails but they sold this drink ....

Edit : To add - I'm not trying to have a go at you and I can respect everyones opinions :tu:

TiP.

Understood.

But I have 2 kids over 18 and honestly if they did something like this I'd think they were dumb to drink it too. Just being honest.

I do feel bad for a young girl with such a huge medical problem now, and I too put partial blame on the establishment. I'm just saying that at a certain time we have to all take responsibility for our own actions and have some common sense. Hopefully the establishment is shut down and has to pay out a lot of money to her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems kind of silly to put liquid nitrogen in a drink. Seems pretty silly to drink said drink also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You would think if it is legal to sell in a bar it would be safe.

I'm not sure if they are putting it in the drink or using it to chill the class or alcohol for a smoke effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cigarette's are legal for sale, totally safe then, and those filters make them extra safe.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cigarette's are legal for sale, totally safe then, and those filters make them extra safe.

You make a very good point , cigs are legal and we know they kill .

I wonder if they had a " drink at your own risk " warning with this one ?

TiP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You would think people would know it's bad to bring liquid nitrogen into contact with your flesh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen liquid nitrogen used to make drinks and ice cream on food TV channels. They think it's cool when you can blow "smoke" after taking a bite.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen liquid nitrogen used to make drinks and ice cream on food TV channels. They think it's cool when you can blow "smoke" after taking a bite.

That's not smoke, those are the vapors of Ted Williams' head. :whistle:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do feel sorry for this girl. She has lost her stomach over a drink. Yes I do smell a lawsuit in the wind. She didn't use common sense in this matter. And Yes Coldethyl I do agree with you 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do feel sorry for this girl. She has lost her stomach over a drink.

That's the really sad part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever the rights or wrongs of what happened, an 18 year old girl is now left without a stomach. How horrible and very sad.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.