Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is modern music lacking

The_Spirit_of_Truth

I never explain myself well, so feel free to "Huh?"

I think there are a lot of great singers, today. Just from an "Okay, she/he can sing."

But there is that certain something that seems rarer these days. I think the rawness and determination and imagination and work ethic that came with the beginnings of rock isn't easily replicated today. There was a whole different climate and the musicians seemed different and their driving force seemed different and the drugs were different too (I'm guessing).

Maybe the market is just so much more saturated today it would have been somewhat similar 50 years ago if the population had had the same opportunities, market, "head" hunters, talent shows, etc.

I know, I know "Huh?"

Along those lines, I think it is hard to get motivated and really "feel" a song someone else wrote, which is most of today's music, someone else writing the music. There isn't the connection from within expressed.

Also, when under contract an artist has to do certain things and if you don't feel it then it shows very clearly in the performance/recording...

• Like 1

I'll also add my personal bias and prejudice that there were incredible voices and musicians in years past. I just don't see similar anywhere today with most new talent. But I am no music expert, by far.

Great Whites newest...

Aw, I wrote out a reply amazed that you had heard of this band, then realized it was Great White you said, and not White Lion. Oh well, it got me to find the video of Little Fighter on YouTube again. Always good for a laugh at the pro wrestling style spandex, cheesy dance moves, and awesome guitar solo (in my top 5 of all time). You'd probably like it, too. They're an obscure band that should have been bigger.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaT8is6b3QA[/media]

Edited by _Only

Aw, I wrote out a reply amazed that you had heard of this band, then realized it was Great White you said, and not White Lion. Oh well, it got me to find the video of Little Fighter on YouTube again. Always good for a laugh at the pro wrestling style spandex, cheesy dance moves, and awesome guitar solo (in my top 5 of all time). You'd probably like it, too. They're an obscure band that should have been bigger.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaT8is6b3QA[/media]

Oh yes, saw them live :) ( I believe every 80's band there was I saw live....I was like Mark Wahlberg in " Rock Star ", only no talent or looks....Concerts yes.

They are in my collection also.... :tu:

Edited by Sakari

This topic began with the OP saying the number one 'rotten thing' about moden music was the lack of reference to soul stealing (I won't get into all that because... wow). But the UM crowd has morphed the conversation into an intelligent debate about the pros and cons of modern music. That's nifty, I'm starting to like this place.

As for the tunes, I'm in the same boat as Taun... I'm an older guy and the tunes aren't mad for me, they're made for young people. That's just natural because they're at the point in their lives where music is very important to them for all sorts of reasons. And each generation holds dear the tunes from their youth, that's to be expected. But I hate to hear so many people say there's nothing good happening anymore. I'm often pretty out of the loop musically, but every few years I make an effort to throw myself back INTO the loop. There's lots of crap but that's always been the case. Thing is... there's also ALWAYS some new tune or group that just rocks me like crazy. Every time. Never fails. Even though the stuff's written for a much younger group of listeners. So for anyone who isn't open to newer tunes, all I can say is you're missing out on a lot of fun.

And to the OP... please rejoin the conversation, I promise I won't swipe your soul. Like... totally won't.

• Like 5

I never really got into the spandex groups of the eighties......especially the ones that also wore girls makeup. In the eighties it was Def Leppard and Night Ranger along with a heavy dose of Rush! Synthesizers were terrible in that decade....or any decade.

As far as guitar solo's go, my favorite has always been the live version of Rock Bottom by UFO's Michael Schenker. I went to see them once in my home town, but Michael was a no show.....he seemed to favor his drugs. Had he shown, I would have only been about 12 feet away from him.....oh well......

I never really got into the spandex groups of the eighties......especially the ones that also wore girls makeup. In the eighties it was Def Leppard and Night Ranger along with a heavy dose of Rush! Synthesizers were terrible in that decade....or any decade.

As far as guitar solo's go, my favorite has always been the live version of Rock Bottom by UFO's Michael Schenker. I went to see them once in my home town, but Michael was a no show.....he seemed to favor his drugs. Had he shown, I would have only been about 12 feet away from him.....oh well......

That guy can rip !!!!

Scorpions dumped him because of his habits....His brother isn't bad either :)

Edited by Sakari

Def Leppard and Night Ranger along with a heavy dose of Rush! Synthesizers were terrible in that decade....or any decade.

You need to listen closer to Night Ranger and Rush then. Both make heavy use of the synth. The Taurus bass pedals and the Moog and the Oberheim that Geddy plays, yup... even they fall into the synth category. Even Def Leppard used the synth for a lot of their stuff.

Being a keyboard player myself... Well, I may just be biased though. :P

You need to listen closer to Night Ranger and Rush then. Both make heavy use of the synth. The Taurus bass pedals and the Moog and the Oberheim that Geddy plays, yup... even they fall into the synth category. Even Def Leppard used the synth for a lot of their stuff.

Being a keyboard player myself... Well, I may just be biased though. :P

Most of Rush's great music was without any synthesizers or at least had minimal use, but I get your point! Pink Floyd was the best at using these and I think they pioneered them on their album Dark Side of the Moon.

I guess my main beef with it was it's use in Pop, Disco, and some of the other horrendous music of that era. Also, I think it was just overused in the eighties to the point that I got sick of it.

There has been some great work done with synthesizers, keyboards, and the good old piano though.......I guess it just depends on the person stroking the keys! B) I guess I'll have to listen to your music to see what you sound like!

Play on! :)

PS, I wrote this whole post with my guitar around my neck... :D

• Like 1

PS, I wrote this whole post with my guitar around my neck... :D

Whew, I thought you were going say with a set of drumsticks in your back pocket. :tu: