Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged]Man dies after live roach-eating contest

ozman

MIAMI (AP) — A contestant in a roach-eating contest who downed dozens of live bugs and worms collapsed and died shortly after winning the contest in South Florida, authorities say.

About 30 contestants ingested the insects during Friday night's contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 40 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Man-dies-after-live-roach-eating-contest-in-Fla-3929382.php

• Like 2

Thanks for posting this, i cant wait to hear updates on this, Why did he die? and no one else even feel a little bit sick. crazy

• Like 3

Wow, Karma strikes!

I hope the organisers are sued and prosecuted.

Edited by Atlantia
  • Like 3

Very sad. Yet unfortunately I can't help picturing his autopsy resembling the scarab beetle scenes from The Mummy.

• Like 6

Why would would to eat a c*** roach.? I can think of a lot better thing to eat.

when someoen asks me, "Hey Biff! What are you doing on Friday?" I always want to respond, "Eating bugs..." That guy is so luckaaaaaaaaaaay.

• Like 1

I wouldnt be so quick to judge! Ben and everyone at BSR are great people! This is not the first bug eating competition they have held, this is a annual event. This was just a freak accident that occured. Being a breeder of ball python morphs myself, I was going to compete in the challenge, however, circumstances did not allow as the location was still about 4 hours away from me. Everyone in the competition signed waivers before hand.

• Like 1

[media=]

[/media] Edited by BiffSplitkins
  • Like 1

"I'M WINNING!!!!", Charlie Sheen

Living in the south, we have cockroaches nearly big enough to saddle up and ride off into the sunset and you get used to the little vermin. BUT, the thought of eating one.......??? Thanks, but I'm on a diet.

Place your bets: how many weeks before this appears on "1000 Ways to Die"?

• Like 1

I wonder if one somehow perforated his stomach or intestinal lining .That's all I can think of .Unless one had eaten bug poison ,and it released in his stomach when the bug hit the stomach acid .

• Like 1

People do the weirdest things. If the autopsy shows it was the bugs that killed him, oh well. His own stupidity. If it wasn't the bugs, then what a coincidence.

• Like 1

I seriously doubt the roaches had anything to do with his death. You gotta go when you gotta go. He that saying is good in multiple situations!

I was issued a survival book in Viet Nam that recommended maggots or the white wood under the bark on pine trees if you needed food for survival. The maggots could be fried or eaten raw. Fortunately, I never had to try that.

• Like 2

Lets all immediatley dismiss this guy as an idiot for engaging in a strange cultural activity. Its not like he had a family or anything. Or he lived every other part of his life as a decent human being. Nope he's an idiot for dying doing an activty no one ever died before doing.

Woohooooo!

• Like 3

Lets all immediatley dismiss this guy as an idiot for engaging in a strange cultural activity. Its not like he had a family or anything. Or he lived every other part of his life as a decent human being. Nope he's an idiot for dying doing an activty no one ever died before doing.

Woohooooo!

You know that? He could have been a pedophile. Unless you personally knew him no disrespect, but we're all just giving our opinions.

It's a message board.

• Like 1

There are some places in the USA where cochroaches fly, and they're big enough to knock you off a bike if you're riding pretty fast. I kid you not, they're like mutant roaches.

Edited by WoIverine

People have proven over the ages they will put anything in their mouths and sometimes it makes them sick or kills them. Stupidity at its best.

You know that? He could have been a pedophile. Unless you personally knew him no disrespect, but we're all just giving our opinions.

It's a message board.

So you can assume he's a idiotic human being. But I can't assume he is a decent average guy? You don't know him personally either. So don't disrespect him or his family by calling him an idiot. Its not an opinion. Its an insult.

Edited by Kazoo
  • Like 2

Wow, Karma strikes!

I hope the organisers are sued and prosecuted.

Karma for what? if killing bugs means that you have an untimely death then i am in real trouble.

• Like 1

Woohooooo!

I was just thinking the same thing earlier. Small world.

• Like 2