Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged]Man dies after live roach-eating contest

ozman

Maybe those bugs got his blood sugar up too high.

hmmm.....

are you thinking what i'm thinking?

pretzel shaped bug-eating competition at the whitehouse?

its funny and ironic i was watching a natgeo dovumentary that said some beetles have very bad bacteria that can kill if eaten.

I would have died before eating those.

I wouldnt be so quick to judge! Ben and everyone at BSR are great people! This is not the first bug eating competition they have held, this is a annual event. This was just a freak accident that occured. Being a breeder of ball python morphs myself, I was going to compete in the challenge, however, circumstances did not allow as the location was still about 4 hours away from me. Everyone in the competition signed waivers before hand.

Thanks for giving us a behind the scene tour... :tu:

There are some places in the USA where cochroaches fly, and they're big enough to knock you off a bike if you're riding pretty fast. I kid you not, they're like mutant roaches.

We've got those in Hawaii and we call them 747s. They will fly right into your face if they feel threatened.

I can barely wait for the autopsy report. I hope it is followed up on by the local media. It couldn't have been the cockroaches since no one else that ate them got sick.

I saW another guy on TV that catches them in his house or wherever and eats them live, even got caps that look like fangs on his canines so he could bite down and kill them before munching on them... or whatever. Point is he eats the nasty, dirty, bacteria riddled, gross kind and he's fine.

This other dude ate the nasty, dirty, bacteria riddeled, gross kind that is bred.

Ugh... I don't want to think about those anymore... gross.

The news tonight said,he may have been allergic to the roaches ....

The snake they were competing for is highly coveted apparently .

• Like 1

I'm positive my stomach would be about 100 times emptier after eating one than before eating one. Wait.. I would never eat one.

To be fair the main reason most are disgusted by this is that it is not common in western culture to eat bugs. This is not always the norm though and it is more social conditioning than any real danger. It looks like an unfortunate reaction/complication rather than being a likely outcome of the activity. If they were by nature unsafe to eat this would not be a regular competition which as another poster pointed out it is. Its certainly an eccentric way to try and win a prize but it certainly doesnt make the gentleman intellectually stunted by default. Though even if he was I think saying he deserved to die is a little much people.

Edited by tipsy_munchkin
  • Like 3

Wow.. who would be crazy enough to eat them in the first place? Unless they're starving.. Ehhh.

I know right. He would have been better off eating at McDonald's. ;)

So you can assume he's a idiotic human being. But I can't assume he is a decent average guy? You don't know him personally either. So don't disrespect him or his family by calling him an idiot. Its not an opinion. Its an insult.

Show me where I called him an idiot. I said if he died from the bugs it was his own stupidity. I'd say the same of anyone because I think it's stupid to binge eat anything. That's an opinion.

Oh well.

I often wonder why people do things like this. I think it's absolutely disgusting. I can't imagine people risking their lives for a python.

Show me where I called him an idiot. I said if he died from the bugs it was his own stupidity. I'd say the same of anyone because I think it's stupid to binge eat anything. That's an opinion.

Oh well.

Lemme rephrase:I'm not allowed to call him a decent human being. But you have no problem with everyone else in the thread calling him an idiot even though they don't know him either.

Do you not see the double standard in your response?

Edited by Kazoo

Quote from ghostbusters: 'that's a big twanky' *twinkie*

Lemme rephrase:I'm not allowed to call him a decent human being. But you have no problem with everyone else in the thread calling him an idiot even though they don't know him either.

Do you not see the double standard in your response?

I don't know where you're getting your information, unless you can read my mind. In which case you need to visit The Amazing Randy.

I haven't said I agreed or disagreed with anyone. You just want to argue. I don't know if he was decent or not, don't care. I'm saying binge eating is stupid.

I doubt his friends and family are searching message boards for opinions. Get off your high horse.

I don't know where you're getting your information, unless you can read my mind. In which case you need to visit The Amazing Randy.

I haven't said I agreed or disagreed with anyone. You just want to argue. I don't know if he was decent or not, don't care. I'm saying binge eating is stupid.

I doubt his friends and family are searching message boards for opinions. Get off your high horse.

So instead of pointing out the at least 3 other people who judged him as an idiot. You point out me. Because I said he was a decent human being. Its not information. Its a fact anyone can check. You do not correct them for judging him with an insult. But instead you judge me for assuming he is a normal person. This is because you agree with them. Correct? I mean that is the only logical assumption. You did not respond to me because you agree with me? You responded to me because you disagreed blindly without thinking threw what you said and how it pertains to anyone else who agrees with you.

This is a double standard. If you like it or not. And I find it fairly annoying.

Edited by Kazoo

So instead of pointing out the at least 3 other people who judged him as an idiot. You point out me. Because I said he was a decent human being. Its not information. Its a fact anyone can check. You do not correct them for judging him with an insult. But instead you judge me for assuming he is a normal person. This is because you agree with them. Correct? I mean that is the only logical assumption. You did not respond to me because you agree with me? You responded to me because you disagreed blindly without thinking threw what you said and how it pertains to anyone else who agrees with you.

This is a double standard. If you like it or not. And I find it fairly annoying.

No, I wondered if you knew the person. That's why I quoted you. And I don't care if you are annoyed or not. Get over it.

No, I wondered if you knew the person. That's why I quoted you. And I don't care if you are annoyed or not. Get over it.

....You knew I did not know the person...You said he could be a pedophile for all I know. Its not like you were asking a honest question. You pointed out a flaw in logic that many other people used but only corrected mines because you did not agree...Its that simple.

Edited by Kazoo

....You knew I did know the person...You said he could be a pedophile for all I know. Its not like you were asking a honest question. You pointed out a flaw in logic that many other people used but only corrected mines because you did not agree...Its that simple.

No I didn't know you knew the person. I told you why everyone was giving their opinions, because it was a message board. That is what people do. If it annoys you to see what others think, then stop participating. It's that simple.