Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Looking for Pointers

Vlade1

Let me start by introducing my self. I am new to the form's here... and this sort of form altogether. I don't really know the lingo or or etiquette or any thing like that. So please excuse my ignorance and I will try and be as breif as possible.

I have been following a couple of local stories from the past few years as well as an old legend from this area . These events have a geographical association but little else in common, as they are separated by a pretty huge amount of time. I can't shake the feeling that there's either a relation between the stories, or that the area itself is somehow influential in the happenings. I don't have any real research skills I know the area very will and have explored much of it. All I had to start with was the old legends... there are three that are immediately connected and two other's that are from the area but don't, at first, seem to have anything to do with the other events. I looked for old news paper articles, I cross referenced the old stories with news papaer articles from their respective era's and was able to verify one happening and that the other people lived in this particular area in this time period and some circumstantial information.

The articles I found I found online;

one was an PDF of an old article and

another was a census document and

another was a paraphrasing from a document I couldn't find an original of.

Like I said I don't have any experience at this and What I'm really looking for are any pointers on how you may have dug up some information on something like a myth or local legend. This is a pretty strange place to ask for advice I know but it seems appropriate all things considered.

P.S. I'm really not as crazy as this all may sound I'm just very curious

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vlade1

• sickpuppy

• poetofsheba

Top Posters In This Topic

well.. asking questions and looking for answers can hardly be considered crazy..

oh, hi and welcome btw..

look... you come here posting about some of your innermost methods and motivations.. not necessary.. we all research stuff here, we're all in the same world.. so , just tell us what it is in this world you're trying to dig info up about?

..there's a good chance someone here knows something about it... as it is, i don't know what the hell you're talking about.. apart from how to research? ..i may as well tell someone how to pour their breakfast cereal.. in the end, as long as it gets the food into your mouth, that's all that matters.

Unit,

Thanks for the welcome,

but I don't know what to tell you I'm not exactly looking for how to kill a werewolf.

You can't really google it.

As far as methods go that's the only one I really tried (googling it haha).

look... you come here posting about some of your innermost methods and motivations.. not necessary.. we all research stuff here, we're all in the same world.. so , just tell us what it is in this world you're trying to dig info up about?

I'm not trying to be smart Btw.

What kind of information would help you? I don't really know "what" i'm trying to dig info up on :blush: .

Well I don't know that much about finding info in the US, but I can tell you a little about how I do it here in Denmark.

1) Most towns have a local archive with local history or society - sometimes a local archive will be part of the local library, which collects all the history from the nearby smaller towns as well. These archives are usually run by older locals who themselves knows quite a bit about the local history. They'll usually also keep old newspapers and stuff.

2) In Denmark they used to register births, marriage, death in church books which for the most part still exist.

3) also there are censuses all the way back to 1787 (maybe earlier, but incomplete) detailing, property owners, family members, occupations etc for the majority of the population. It's currently being made available online but all the records are kept at the royal library. There must be some similar records in the US but I don't know enough to help - hopefully some other people can help you with that :)

4) old maps (might be able to find those at the local archive or historical society) can also show a lot about the land: if there used to be buildings, who owned it, how the land was divided etc. In Denmark in 1844 all land was measured and accurate maps were made, including the division into numbered "Matrikler" - so nowadays you can look up a number and find info about the owners. I doubt something like it have been done in the states.

5) local newspapers might have archives of old issues, it's possible they could help you find the article you were looking for.

6) some local archives or historical societies publish books about local history, which can be found at the local library.

But seriously if you live in the area (you said you had explored the area?) looking for a local archive or historical society is probably the best solution, they'll most likely be able to help you find exactly what you're looking for if it exists.

Hope it gave you some ideas :)

Poetofsheba,

Thanks for the response that gives me alot of ideas I hadn't thought about church records. There are two local historical societies neither one covers that area exactly but I'm sure the older people in the group's may have some ideas like you said.

Thanks Again!