Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Supersquatch

Do You See "Red" the Same Way I See It?

23 posts in this topic

I read about this before. Fundamentally, there's this question: Do you see "red", or any color for that matter, the same way I see it? I'm stumped about it.

1 person likes this

It's one of the eternal questions - do you see the world the same way I do?

For all we know "red" probably looks like "blue" to me, but we'd never know since we were taught the words for "that" color color.

Red probably looks "blue" but I was taught it was called "red" so we'd never know

That's a good question, I think what most of us see is close to the same anyway.

Well this is all tied to what word you associate with something. We have all been taught "red" the same I assume and can all identify it correctly (except those who are blind/colour blind). The way we see colours however can differ even in the slightest, all compared to the condition our eyes are in.

For example, you buy a new pair of shoes, you go out to walk in them and even in the slightest they diminish. Small particles eroded and scraped away as you walk. Everything is constantly diminishing even just doing nothing, just at a very slow and minute level. So from when you were born to now, your eyesight has diminished or even sharpened, depending on how you take care of them (they are a biological part of a living thing after all, in the case of the shoes, probably repairing them slightly each day). But most likely after a certain age they do go backwards.

A more quizzical question to ask is, do you see me the same way I do?

Obviously we can go and see each other from a third person perspective but you understand what I mean.

Unless you or I are a mutant, then we see them the same. Biological hardware(our eyes) are made of the same stuff and our brains(unless something has been wired different) perceive what our eyes see the same way. Asking if people see or smell things differently is like asking if two webcams of the make and model on the same type of computer see the same.

I'm sure there are people with abnormalities though. I know I'm missing taste alleles so I can't taste the bitterness is certain foods.

We have ways to compare colors of similar shades, so unless you have some form of color blindness you'd see red the same as I do.

Edited by Rlyeh

i think we all understand what 'red' is, or any other color, for that matter. the subtle differences in hue are where i think we may differ.

there are those of us who can see more variations of a color than others as well.

here's a fun test to see how well you can see color

edit to add:

i just did the test - here's my results

Based on your information, below is how your score compares to those of others with similar demographic information.

• Your score: 26
  • Age range: 50-59
  • Best score for your gender and age range: 0
  • Highest score for your gender and age range: 1520

Edited by JGirl
1 person likes this

Men and Women Really Do See Things Different

]Differences may be rooted in hunting, gathering.[/b]

Females are better at discriminating among colors, researchers say, while males excel at tracking fast-moving objects and discerning detail from a distanceevolutionary adaptations possibly linked to our hunter-gatherer past.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=233727&st=0&p=4455679&hl=+see%20+men%20+womenentry4455679

Not too sure about humans, but I heard birds and bees (ooh er matron) see the colours of flowers different than we do. And since nature supposedly adapted these colours to attract birds and bees to help pollenate, it stands to reason we do not see flowers as they should be seen... maybe.

i think we all understand what 'red' is, or any other color, for that matter. the subtle differences in hue are where i think we may differ.

there are those of us who can see more variations of a color than others as well.

here's a fun test to see how well you can see color

edit to add:

i just did the test - here's my results

Based on your information, below is how your score compares to those of others with similar demographic information.

• Your score: 26

Mine:

• Your score: 4

1 person likes this

Mine:

wow that's excellent! i thought i did well but now i have to blame my glasses for not being clear enough haha

1 person likes this

wow that's excellent! i thought i did well but now i have to blame my glasses for not being clear enough haha

I'm old school trained in Electronics - color determination was very important...

• Age range: 20-29

The only flaw with that test is it's reliant on your monitor settings. The only spectrum I had trouble with was #3, that purple/teal one. Could barely see a difference at all.

1 person likes this

• Age range: 20-29

The only flaw with that test is it's reliant on your monitor settings. The only spectrum I had trouble with was #3, that purple/teal one. Could barely see a difference at all.

that's exactly where my problem was - within the purple teal areas.

Got a score of 7 in the 20-29 range. Noticed a flaw in the teal-> purplish one as well, but submitted anyway

Scored 19 in a range of 0 to 99 for my age range, so my color acuity is actually pretty good. I always have trouble with teals. I'll say, that's a pretty color blue, and the person I'm with will look at me oddly and say, "Don't you mean green?" I always thought it was my problem, but maybe not. Thanks for the link, it's always cool to discover something new about ones self.

Not too sure about humans, but I heard birds and bees (ooh er matron) see the colours of flowers different than we do. And since nature supposedly adapted these colours to attract birds and bees to help pollenate, it stands to reason we do not see flowers as they should be seen... maybe.

Birds:

http://kromakhy.blogspot.nl/2004/07/51-birds-ultraviolet-vision.html

i know that bees see flowers in ultraviolet not sure about birds though

being a spectacled person i can very well relate this do you see things the same way as i do , when i was 21 years old i had some problems in reading the black board and wondered how could the person sitting in last bench could read the board so easily and i sitting in the third bench could not read it, then one of my friend advised me to go for eye test my first eye test in life, and i realized that my eyesight was -1.75 in both eyes and the eye technician told that you have come so late, how could you not known your sight is weak. I was astonished till now i thought that whatever i see everyone is seeing the same thing. Dont know since when the eyesight started becoming bad, but i never seem to realize it and all time i used to think that everyone sees like me, and when i first wore glasses it was like all HD, then only i realized that all people see things same and i can see like other people only when i wear glasses. This was a very astonishing moment of realization of the clarity that glasses give to eyes so that eyes can retain their original capturing power and transmit to brain.

We all see the color we have been taught is red. Red is nothing more than a word in the English language used to describe many shades of "red". .unless you are color blind or can't see at all.

I read about this before. Fundamentally, there's this question: Do you see "red", or any color for that matter, the same way I see it? I'm stumped about it.

white-yellow

grey-red

black-blue

what-if-the-same-blue-i-see-isnt-the-same-color-blue-you-see-_1082.jpg