Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Contradictions in the bible

Bling

It was a joke, first off, second, the Bible was written by humans.

Well, sure Hasina, we all know that... but the Christians don't want us to know that...!

• Like 1

It was a joke, first off, second, the Bible was written by humans.

I never said it wasn't written by humans...did I? Lol. Like Arbitran said...ssshhhh its a secret, the Christians don't want ANYONE to know this lol. No it was a funny joke though Hasina :)

• Like 2

PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen

See possible Source for more information

Edited by Paranoid Android
Added source link
  • Like 3

JOH 10:30 I and my Father are one.

JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

PRO 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

ECC 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

1CO 1:19: "For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent."

ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

DEU 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

See Source

Added source link
  • Like 3

Here is the order in the first (Genesis 1), the Priestly tradition:

Day 1: Sky, Earth, light

Day 2: Water, both in ocean basins and above the sky(!)

Day 3: Plants

Day 4: Sun, Moon, stars (as calendrical and navigational aids)

Day 5: Sea monsters (whales), fish, birds, land animals, creepy-crawlies (reptiles, insects, etc.)

Day 6: Humans (apparently both sexes at the same time)

Day 7: Nothing (the Gods took the first day off anyone ever did)

Note that there are "days," "evenings," and "mornings" before the Sun was created. Here, the Deity is referred to as "Elohim," which is a plural, thus the literal translation, "the Gods." In this tale, the Gods seem satisfied with what they have done, saying after each step that "it was good."

The second one (Genesis 2), the Yahwist tradition, goes:

Earth and heavens (misty)

Adam, the first man (on a desolate Earth)

Plants

Animals

Eve, the first woman (from Adam's rib)

See Source for further reading

Added source link
  • Like 2

Christianity has branded every Sacred Book other than the Roman Catholic Bible as being false and fraudulent in its practice. Jews, however, make the same claim of falsity and fraud against Christianity and base it on their own ancient, sacred Scriptures. They further assert that it is a complete blasphemy for Christianity to claim that it shares the Judaic God and charge that the Bible is false and forged.

Hebrews were not alone in their opinion. Emperor Flavius Claudius Julianus wrote in his Against the Galileans,"It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that the fabrication of the Christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. Though it has in it nothing divine, by making full use of that part of the soul which loves fable and is childish and foolish, it has induced men to believe that the monstrous tale is truth."

In more recent times, Robert Taylor tells us in Diegesis, ““Whether a Church which stands convicted of having forged its Creed, would have any scruple of forging its Gospels, is a problem that the reader will solve according to the influence of prejudice or probability on his mind.”

St. Paul seemingly confessed to as much with “Being crafty, I caught you with guile” ... For if the truth of God hath more abounded through my LIE unto his glory; why yet am I also adjudged a sinner?”

Examinations of the texts, especially the New Testament, reveal an astounding number of insertions, editing, alterations and outright forgeries.

• Like 3

i once argued a similiar thing regarding god character in matter of the holy trinity

such concept " as the trinity " could be the result of these contrictions

there is much to be learned here in this topic .. i'll keep an eye on it thanks :yes:

• Like 3

ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

DEU 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

This should go with that^ also:

http://bible.cc/exodus/34-7.htm

maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation."

Exodus 34:7 is a contradiction within itself.

Edited by HavocWing
  • Like 4

This should go with that^ also:

http://bible.cc/exodus/34-7.htm

maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation."

Exodus 34:7 is a contradiction within itself.

And it contradicts that several more times. Depending on where you're reading, sins are passed down unto either the third, fourth, seventh, or fourteenth generation; or, if you look at the New Testament of course, sins aren't passed down at all.

• Like 2

You really have to wonder how much crack god smoked.

Edited by HavocWing
  • Like 5

Bling I for one don't get too concerned about such things. This text is in some cases 3000 years old and while the majority of it has been very carefully transcribed I'm sure that errors could have been made - humans and all...

But I use as my pattern my grand father. He was a good man. Honest and fair dealing with all. Avid church goer at a time and in a place (very rural south Alabama) that church going was not a convenient thing - it took great effort, walking long distances, etc. Anyway, my point is that he put in the effort and was uneducated to the point that he couldn't even begin to be the scholar that many here at UM are.... but he had a very strong faith and centered his life on the words of Jesus. I believe the Bible was inspired by the Holy Spirit of God. I try ( and fail a lot) to live my life from it's precepts. When the end comes for me and I discover the answer to the mystery for myself then all I will leave behind is the memory of how I treated others and whatever inspiration my faith gave them. That book and my grandfather's belief in it and his actions toward it make me a better person than I otherwise would be. No saint for certain, but better than I would be without it. So my point is why is it necessary to demean and call it into question when so many other things in this life are already so destructive? It's almost like trying to blow out the last few candles in a rapidly darkening cave with pits everywhere one could fall into.

My only comment since and then took the words from my mouth would be that God had angels and was unhappy because they were created to love and worship him. He made man to have a choice and open thought and faith. If he wanted perfection he would have stuck with his perfect angels. But, as and the said, I am no saint or pusher of the faith, to each his own. The hope and faith that something comes after death keeps me going. But I will add this, in all my flaws I do question some things out of curiosity, not trying to disprove.

(Inserted and then's quote)

Edited by John Rayne
  • Like 2

The whole Deuteronomy 24:16 and Romans 2:6(God "will give to each person according to what he has done.")also contradicts the whole Jesus dying for our sins thing.

Half tempted to go in to the whole Jesus Christ is the anti-Christ spiel.

Just remember folks Forgive your enemies but when your children misbehave stone them oh and that only God can judge.

Edited by Jinxdom
  • Like 3

Ahhh, lovely topic .. Thanks for posting ..

I find this one particulary funny:

Shall we call people names?

Matthew 5:22 "Whosoever shall say Thou fool, shall be in danger of hellfire." (Jesus speaking)

And then..

Matthew 23:17 "Ye fools and blind." (Jesus speaking)

See Source for further reading

Added possible source reference
  • Like 5

We dont have anyone here with biblical knowledge anymore? What happened to PA? There were a few others as well. I cant believe no one has come to the defense of the bible. Anyhow, I used to study up on all the so called contradictions. I have yet to see one where it holds water. Things are taken outta context, there have also been ligit translation difficulties, ect ect. Id go into it, but no one comes to a thread like this to learn anything. But just know this, there isnt a single so called contradiction that hasnt been throughly debunked.

• Like 1

.. But just know this, there isnt a single so called contradiction that hasnt been throughly debunked.

By whom?

fullywired

• Like 2

The whole Deuteronomy 24:16 and Romans 2:6(God "will give to each person according to what he has done.")also contradicts the whole Jesus dying for our sins thing.

Here is a perfect example of a so called contradiction that even just basic knowledge of christianity debunks. Jesus died for our sins in order to be able to bring us the free gift of salvation. Giving to each man according to what he has done isnt about salvation. Its about giving reward for the good works you have done. You might have no reward coming to you, but that doesnt mean you are not saved.

We dont have anyone here with biblical knowledge anymore? What happened to PA? There were a few others as well. I cant believe no one has come to the defense of the bible. Anyhow, I used to study up on all the so called contradictions. I have yet to see one where it holds water. Things are taken outta context, there have also been ligit translation difficulties, ect ect. Id go into it, but no one comes to a thread like this to learn anything. But just know this, there isnt a single so called contradiction that hasnt been throughly debunked.

I'm no scholar the way PA and some others here are, Preacherman76 but I don't see any reason to try to convince people to believe in something they have thoroughly rejected. These threads seem to pop up occasionally and run for a few pages until everyone gets some of the vitriol out of their system then they die out. No one gets convinced of anything one way or another. As I stated earlier, the only problem I have with threads like this is that they add nothing positive to anyone's life. In a time when the whole world is spinning out of control and darkness of one kind or another is burgeoning, having a group hatefest over one of the few positive influences in modern life doesn't seem very productive to me. It's not an attack on non believers. I genuinely support their right to believe what makes them comfortable - whether I find it to be error or not. It seems to me to be an expression of resentment against all things Biblical and I can't imagine where this level of anger comes from - but I have never been harmed by someone saying they were Christian. If I had I suspect I might have a different take on the subject.
  • Like 1

But none come to mind?

fullywired

Here is a decent source that touches base on a few of the so called contradictions.

Though I have seen much better sources, I dont have alot of time this morning to go through them.

http://litteralchristianlibrary.wetpaint.com/page/Answers+to+the+so-called+%22Bible+contradictions%22

I'm no scholar the way PA and some others here are, Preacherman76 but I don't see any reason to try to convince people to believe in something they have thoroughly rejected. These threads seem to pop up occasionally and run for a few pages until everyone gets some of the vitriol out of their system then they die out. No one gets convinced of anything one way or another. As I stated earlier, the only problem I have with threads like this is that they add nothing positive to anyone's life. In a time when the whole world is spinning out of control and darkness of one kind or another is burgeoning, having a group hatefest over one of the few positive influences in modern life doesn't seem very productive to me. It's not an attack on non believers. I genuinely support their right to believe what makes them comfortable - whether I find it to be error or not. It seems to me to be an expression of resentment against all things Biblical and I can't imagine where this level of anger comes from - but I have never been harmed by someone saying they were Christian. If I had I suspect I might have a different take on the subject.

Well said and then. I couldnt agree more. People dont come to threads like this to learn anything. They come to spread pre conceived notions that are extremly uninformed. I also support peoples right to believe what ever they want. Its just sad to see people so willing to spread misinformation sitting on the shoulders of smarter people then themselfs, and thinking they understand what they are talking about.

Here is a perfect example of a so called contradiction that even just basic knowledge of christianity debunks. Jesus died for our sins in order to be able to bring us the free gift of salvation.

As much of a "free" gift as sex workers receiving a "free" money gift.
  • Like 2

So the bible the world reads today is fake?

It is highly possible that it is fake or part's of it is fake, but saying that I do believe that the Bible has some truth to it (just not sure how much)....

But due to the manipulation by the council of Nicea and the Roman Catholic Church, we do not have the whole story, just the part's that suited the early churches need's, (to control the people ? to gain more money or power ? or all three ? )

Here is a perfect example of a so called contradiction that even just basic knowledge of christianity debunks. Jesus died for our sins in order to be able to bring us the free gift of salvation. Giving to each man according to what he has done isnt about salvation. Its about giving reward for the good works you have done. You might have no reward coming to you, but that doesnt mean you are not saved.

http://www.whatjewsb...planation1.html

An even bigger contradiction is that the Mosaic Law makes very clear that no man can die for the sins of another; so, based on the Bible's own internal logic (albeit rather shaky and incoherent to begin with), Jesus cannot have died for anyone's sins but his own.

Edited by Arbitran
  • Like 4