Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Contradictions in the bible

Bling

I love the way the bible contradicts itself as it adds to the argument I have that it was not inspired by God but written by storytellers.

Here's a good example:

Has anyone seen God?

• John 1:18 "No man hath seen God at any time."
  • Exodus 33:20 "Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live."
  • John 6:46 "Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God [Jesus], he hath seen the Father."
  • I John 4:12 "No man hath seen God at any time."

vs

• Genesis 32:30 "For I have seen God face to face."
  • Exodus 33:11 "And the Lord spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend."
  • Isaiah 6:1 "In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple."
  • Job 42:5 "I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee."

Possible Source for more information

I love the way people contradict themselves by telling children that Santa Claus, Easter Bunny and The Tooth Fairy exist

then a few years later say, No They Don't.

I love the way people contradict themselves by telling children that Santa Claus, Easter Bunny and The Tooth Fairy exist

then a few years later say, No They Don't.

It called allowing children to have a childhood.. Its what childhood is about.. It is harmless I used to believe in those things too, when I found out later as a child they were not real, it didn't bother me.. I still looked forward to Christmas and Easter ..

It called allowing children to have a childhood.. Its what childhood is about.. It is harmless I used to believe in those things too, when I found out later as a child they were not real

:o

• Like 1

It called allowing children to have a childhood.. Its what childhood is about.. It is harmless I used to believe in those things too, when I found out later as a child they were not real, it didn't bother me.. I still looked forward to Christmas and Easter ..

When a child is brought into the world they don't know of the existence these characters, The same with Jesus or God. It's a taught thing by adults.

It's really more for the adults entertainment then the kids. A child can enjoy these holidays and still have a childhood by telling them the true meaning.

If you scold your child for ever lying to you, be careful, they might respond by saying...Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy. :santa:

If you're interested in following contraditions, I post them daily, and explain them using source-critical and historical-critical emthods. Is Yahweh and El the same god or different god? is today's contradition. The various texts that now make u p what later generation of readers labeled as "the Bible" answers affirmatively to both. contradictionsinthebible.com

Well who knows. Maybe 2000 years from now there will be this big thick book talking about a big fat man in a red suit or a rabbit with eggs

and a girl with wings, lets also include the man that sprinkles sand in your eyes to make you sleep (sandman). Anyway a lot of people

will think it was once all true because the big thick book spoke of it. :cat:

When a child is brought into the world they don't know of the existence these characters, The same with Jesus or God. It's a taught thing by adults.

It's really more for the adults entertainment then the kids. A child can enjoy these holidays and still have a childhood by telling them the true meaning.

If you scold your child for ever lying to you, be careful, they might respond by saying...Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy. :santa:

Nah she wont.. I know I didn't.. We never mentioned the Easter Bunny though, but the tooth fairy and Santa, that only lasts for a few years and then its over.. I let them enjoy it while they can...All harmless.

• Like 1

Hell, try to reconcile Genesis chapters 1 and 2. Some of the biggest contradictions in the book are between the first two chapters.

I will do that for you. Genesis Chapter 1 is in Chronological order whereas Chapter 2 is in Story form, truly they still the same thing, just Chapter 2 is out of order since that author did it that way. NEXT!

Nah she wont.. I know I didn't.. We never mentioned the Easter Bunny though, but the tooth fairy and Santa, that only lasts for a few years and then its over.. I let them enjoy it while they can...All harmless.

But yet when it comes to the bible and the characters in it people try to discredit it by saying those characters never existed

even though there isn't any concrete proof otherwise. Maybe back then people where lying to their kids.

I will do that for you. Genesis Chapter 1 is in Chronological order whereas Chapter 2 is in Story form, truly they still the same thing, just Chapter 2 is out of order since that author did it that way. NEXT!

They are the same thing, a work of fiction.

But yet when it comes to the bible and the characters in it people try to discredit it by saying those characters never existed

even though there isn't any concrete proof otherwise. Maybe back then people where lying to their kids.

Its a different kind of lying ...When you tell your child about santa, it is adding the magic to her Christmas.. It makes me feel good when she writes her letters.. When she finds there is none, she wont care as much, she will be older and a bit wiser by then and she will understand the harmless behind it.. I did and millions of others did too.. There is also the lying that you use to prevent others from feeling hurt..

I personally do not hold beliefs in the bible.. But the difference for me was - My parents tried to get me to believe as much as possible and this was put out as truth for the rest of my days... The difference is, you cannot prove these characters did not exist, so you cannot prove if people are lying about them.. Christians put this out as a fact and not in the same way as tales told about Santa .... That is a lot different from santa or a tooth fairy ..

I may no longer hold beliefs in the bible, but I do not force any of that on to my daughter ...I will allow her to learn all about it and later make her own mind up.. It's the better option..I will do the same with little Aaron The only thing I do not allow her to believe in is creationism...She is keen on science and is learning a lot about our planet and the universe...But she only gets that education here at home, not at the christian school she attends ....She still believes in god but thinks god started it all..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I assume you're Jewish mate which is why you prefer to think that doesn't refer to Jesus? If you care to glance at more of Isaiah ch 53 you'll see that the prophecy continues at considerable length, and leaves no doubt whatsoever that Isaiah was talking about Jesus-

"He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him, He was despised and rejected by mankind, Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering, But he was pierced for our transgressions, and by his wounds we are healed. the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; for the transgression of my people he was punished. He was assigned a grave with the wicked, though he had done no violence,nor was any deceit in his mouth. For he bore the sin of many..."

No Crikey, it is not because I am Jewish but because Jesus was a Jewish learnt man to know more than that the Prophet was not speaking about an individual Messiah but the collective one in Israel. BTW, it does not take a genius to figure that the Prophet is talking about the Suffering Servant which he mentions him by name, if you read Isaiah 41:8,9; 44:1,2,21; and 45:4. And last but not least, if you read Psalm 44:11-26, you will have it all. Christians have no difficulties seeing Jesus in Isaiah 53 because of the influence caused by the Christian preconceived notion concept.

Ben

Edited by Ben Masada

Firstly, Jonah received word from God that he wanted him to be a prophet. that word may have come in a dream, but then he woke up and ran away in terror-

"The word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai: “Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me.”

But Jonah ran away from the Lord and headed for Tarshish"...

Secondly, Jesus knew all along that he was going to die, for example when he and his disciples approached Jerusalem he said "they're going to kill me in there" but he still went in.(Matt 20:18)

In the dead of night in Gethsemane when his disciples fell asleep he was racked with loneliness, so no wonder he asked God to remove the bitter cup from him.

But as Paranoid Android pointed out, he didn't want to die but still said to God -but if it is what you want then so shall it be.

PS- And to those who say the Bible has been edited, censored and prettied up over the centuries to make it look good, why didn't the translators say "Quick, cut out that bit where Jesus asks God to remove the bitter cup, it makes him look too weak and human!"

The fact that nobody cut it out just proves once again that the Bible can be trusted to give us the true story without any editing.. :)

Do you know something Crikey? I agree with you about the "cut it out" Church policy to prevent a spiritually weak Jesus. The name is pious forgery. This was very common in the 4th Century just prior to the approval of the NT Canon. I believe that the same thing was done to make Jesus a bachelor for life. The "son of God" could not be looked at as a married man getting his jollies just like the rest of us. You are on the right track.

Ben

Ha ha, so you're telling us Jesus didn't really mean it when he said "Love God, love one another, feed the hungry, house the homeless, clothe the destitute, tend the sick, visit the prisoners, look after the poor" ?.. :)

You say doing stuff like that is against "natural human values".

Yes but Jesus wants us to overcome our base ungodly human values, we're not- "brute beasts, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed" (2 Peter 2:12)

No, I am saying nothing out of the top of my head. I am just pointing to you the Logic that Jesus had in mind. To go literal with these things, you will be working against the nature of human being. One cannot force him or herself to love. Love happens. I did not say that exercising charity is against natural human values. But one does not do "stuff like that" out of love to another as one loves himself. That's impossible. Do you do "stuff like that?" No. Does it mean you are a "brute beast, creature of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed?" Of course not! These things are found on the paper only. Reality is quite something else.

Ben

Edited by Ben Masada

Its a different kind of lying ...When you tell your child about santa, it is adding the magic to her Christmas.. It makes me feel good when she writes her letters.. When she finds there is none, she wont care as much, she will be older and a bit wiser by then and she will understand the harmless behind it.. I did and millions of others did too.. There is also the lying that you use to prevent others from feeling hurt..

I personally do not hold beliefs in the bible.. But the difference for me was - My parents tried to get me to believe as much as possible and this was put out as truth for the rest of my days... The difference is, you cannot prove these characters did not exist, so you cannot prove if people are lying about them.. Christians put this out as a fact and not in the same way as tales told about Santa .... That is a lot different from santa or a tooth fairy ..

I may no longer hold beliefs in the bible, but I do not force any of that on to my daughter ...I will allow her to learn all about it and later make her own mind up.. It's the better option..I will do the same with little Aaron The only thing I do not allow her to believe in is creationism...She is keen on science and is learning a lot about our planet and the universe...But she only gets that education here at home, not at the christian school she attends ....She still believes in god but thinks god started it all..

I personally think that there is a creator but not exactly how the bible tells it. 86% of the worlds population believes in some kind of creator but call

that creator by a different name and worship that creator their own way. Even Indigenous peoples like Native Americans or Australian Aborigines and

tribes in Africa believe in a creator. The bible has several Authors with different views and that's what makes it confusing. The main thing is to look

at the big picture. Don't put too much faith in science either because they have even proven themselves wrong on their findings many times.

I personally think that there is a creator but not exactly how the bible tells it. 86% of the worlds population believes in some kind of creator but call

that creator by a different name and worship that creator their own way. Even Indigenous peoples like Native Americans or Australian Aborigines and

tribes in Africa believe in a creator. The bible has several Authors with different views and that's what makes it confusing. The main thing is to look

at the big picture.

I stick with my own personal faith...It's the best way for me.. Keeping thy faith to thyself...Is much safer

Don't put too much faith in science either because they have even proven themselves wrong on their findings many times.

Science doesn't require my faith...It is there to help us understand more about our planet and universe... It is educational.. This is what my 7 year old loves most ...Long may that continue

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

I stick with my own personal faith...It's the best way for me.. Keeping thy faith to thyself...Is much safer

If everyone done that and respected each other for doing so... Our world would make one huge step towards peace. :tu:

Science doesn't require my faith...It is there to help us understand more about our planet and universe... It is educational.. This is what my 7 year old loves most ...Long may that continue

There is people who treat it like a religion though, those people annoy me just as much as religious extremists. They don't even understand science. They just quote things, like someone quoting a bible. lol

Science isn't supposed to be 1 way, like a written scripture is. It's supposed to evolve. (ironically) Always good to have an open mind when learning Science and realise that it's not the be all and end all. I imagine from what I know from you already that you teach your daughter something like that anyway, so not aiming this at you. :tu:

• Like 2

If everyone done that and respected each other for doing so... Our world would make one huge step towards peace. :tu:

There is people who treat it like a religion though, those people annoy me just as much as religious extremists. They don't even understand science. They just quote things, like someone quoting a bible. lol

Science isn't supposed to be 1 way, like a written scripture is. It's supposed to evolve. (ironically) Always good to have an open mind when learning Science and realise that it's not the be all and end all. I imagine from what I know from you already that you teach your daughter something like that anyway, so not aiming this at you. :tu:

Becky holds a strong liking to the universe..She begun reading space books ( for kids of course ) from she was 6 years old.. She did well in her school work, so when she wrote asking santa for a telescope, we got her one.. Because my hubby was into physics ( has his A'Levels in Physics) he was keen on the idea to get the telescope.. I was thinking of one around £50 or so, but because he wanted a better one he paid a good bit more and got a big telescope...I think he bought it more for him...They put it to good use and have taken pictures of Jupiter.

As you are from the UK, you may remember a few weeks ago, they were doing a live special called - Stargazing Live, hosted by Dara O' Brian and Brian Cox, which featured Brian May from the band Queen.. I should say Dr Brian May, as he has his PHD in astrophysics, which was something I never knew ...They had a crew from the BBC over in our neck of the woods, so of course Becky and her dad had to pack up the telescope and we all headed out ... Becky is forever at her telescope on a clear night... If you were to speak to Becky to ask her questions about the planets, you would be surprised what that little girl could tell you ... With that, and the books she takes home reading up on the planet, ( weathers, volcanoes etc ) I hope she goes on to do well. She has been to Armagh Planetarium several times now, and hopes one day to visit Kennedy Space Centre...

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

Becky holds a strong liking to the universe..She begun reading space books ( for kids of course ) from she was 6 years old.. She did well in her school work, so when she wrote asking santa for a telescope, we got her one.. Because my hubby was into physics ( has his A'Levels in Physics) he was keen on the idea to get the telescope.. I was thinking of one around £50 or so, but because he wanted a better one he paid a good bit more and got a big telescope...I think he bought it more for him...They put it to good use and have taken pictures of Jupiter.

As you are from the UK, you may remember a few weeks ago, they were doing a live special called - Stargazing Live, hosted by Dara O' Brian and Brian Cox, which featured Brian May from the band Queen.. I should say Dr Brian May, as he has his PHD in astrophysics, which was something I never knew ...They had a crew from the BBC over in our neck of the woods, so of course Becky and her dad had to pack up the telescope and we all headed out ... Becky is forever at her telescope on a clear night... If you were to speak to Becky to ask her questions about the planets, you would be surprised what that little girl could tell you ... With that, and the books she takes home reading up on the planet, ( weathers, volcanoes etc ) I hope she goes on to do well. She has been to Armagh Planetarium several times now, and hopes one day to visit Kennedy Space Centre...

Wow, she could have a really amazing future with that much interest at such an early stage. I wish her luck in life no matter what path she does take. Sounds very bright.

I didn't see it, I heard all about it though. I usually look out for that sort of thing. Pretty much got my head stuck out my window for at least an hour a night if it's clear. Sadly live in the middle of the city so you can guess how badly the sky has light pollution. I do miss living in the North East of Scotland for that reason, even though it rained 90% of the time, when ti didn't you would get a really good starry sky. Could see a lot.

I'm guessing it was more for him, but at least if she had lost interest it would not have been wasted. lol It's good that you are both supporting her interest in it.

Me and my housemate want to invest in a good telescope, whats a good make a model? And what are the things to look for?

• Like 1

Wow, she could have a really amazing future with that much interest at such an early stage. I wish her luck in life no matter what path she does take. Sounds very bright.

I didn't see it, I heard all about it though. I usually look out for that sort of thing. Pretty much got my head stuck out my window for at least an hour a night if it's clear. Sadly live in the middle of the city so you can guess how badly the sky has light pollution. I do miss living in the North East of Scotland for that reason, even though it rained 90% of the time, when ti didn't you would get a really good starry sky. Could see a lot.

I'm guessing it was more for him, but at least if she had lost interest it would not have been wasted. lol It's good that you are both supporting her interest in it.

Me and my housemate want to invest in a good telescope, whats a good make a model? And what are the things to look for?

This is the one Gary bought -> http://www.amazon.co......32&sr=8-2 It is perfect if you are wanting to look at the moon and other planets like Jupiter, Saturn, Mars and so on.

He bought a moon filter and other attachments with it...

If you wish to go deeper into space, and see other galaxies nebulas, you'd be better off a larger aperture Newtonian reflector telescope, like this one - http://www.amazon.co..._sim_sbs_ce_1 It's worth checking out..

For either of the two telescopes, you can buy the extra attachments, that helps you connect your digital SLR camera to take great pictures...Becky has her own desktop folder of the pictures she has taken...

If you are looking at Amazon for either of the two I have shown you, ( or any other one on the same site ) read the reviews.. I always do that before I buy anything on line

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

OK that's your right. Just remember, people invented religion and people invented science and people aren't perfect.

OK that's your right. Just remember, people invented religion and people invented science and people aren't perfect.

How do you invent science?... Ancient Greeks made discoveries and worked on them.. Man has forever been making discoveries and creating study.. It is not the same as inventing a god and religion .. We study science,and we explore our natural world and universe.. Through time and discoveries made by man, man has managed to create a good understanding of the world around us and our universe........ Also how to make medicines and technology that we can trust in for most.. Man has been discovering and experimenting from he first made himself a weapon out of stick to hunt with ... Science is not something a human invented, it is a collection of discoveries, study and how things work and evolve It also provides us with many facts..... Science cannot ever be put in the same boat as religion.

Edited by Beckys_Mom

This is the one Gary bought -> http://www.amazon.co......32&sr=8-2 It is perfect if you are wanting to look at the moon and other planets like Jupiter, Saturn, Mars and so on.

He bought a moon filter and other attachments with it...

If you wish to go deeper into space, and see other galaxies nebulas, you'd be better off a larger aperture Newtonian reflector telescope, like this one - http://www.amazon.co..._sim_sbs_ce_1 It's worth checking out..

For either of the two telescopes, you can buy the extra attachments, that helps you connect your digital SLR camera to take great pictures...Becky has her own desktop folder of the pictures she has taken...

If you are looking at Amazon for either of the two I have shown you, ( or any other one on the same site ) read the reviews.. I always do that before I buy anything on line

Nice one, thanks.

I was expecting it to cost a lot more. lol You get a lot for your money then.

I dunno if to wait until I move out of the city though. I mean I don't want my neighbours thinking I'm using it to perv. LOL

Nice one, thanks.

I was expecting it to cost a lot more. lol You get a lot for your money then.

I dunno if to wait until I move out of the city though. I mean I don't want my neighbours thinking I'm using it to perv. LOL

I know what you mean... Gary usually puts Beckys telescope in the conservatory, which you know is glass all the way around including the roof..The telescope can be seen by our next door neighbor, be it is never pointed in the direction of anyones home, and our neighbors don't pay much attention, as they can see that is is always directed at the sky.... At the back of our house, there are no other houses around.. So when the moon and Jupiter can be seen, they are always in a certain area of the night sky that does not require us to point the telescope in the direction of anyones home.. Which is a good thing.. If the were located above people houses, that could look a bit suspect lol Becky sometimes takes pictures of birds she see's from a great distance perching on chimney pots.. I told her to be careful no one see's her looking at the chimney pot, they might think she is spying.. So I trust her to be most careful ..She has taken so many pictures of not just the moon and Jupiter, but during the day, some birds and animals too..She just loves the idea of taking pictures of things that are so far away...

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

I know what you mean... Gary usually puts Beckys telescope in the conservatory, which you know is glass all the way around including the roof..The telescope can be seen by our next door neighbor, be it is never pointed in the direction of anyones home, and our neighbors don't pay much attention, as they can see that is is always directed at the sky.... At the back of our house, there are no other houses around.. So when the moon and Jupiter can be seen, they are always in a certain area of the night sky that does not require us to point the telescope in the direction of anyones home.. Which is a good thing.. If the were located above people houses, that could look a bit suspect lol Becky sometimes takes pictures of birds she see's from a great distance perching on chimney pots.. I told her to be careful no one see's her looking at the chimney pot, they might think she is spying.. So I trust her to be most careful ..She has taken so many pictures of not just the moon and Jupiter, but during the day, some birds and animals too..She just loves the idea of taking pictures of things that are so far away...

Yeah I don't blame her, must be a lot of fun. :tu:

• Like 1