Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Airship to conduct aerial search for Bigfoot

Saru

Trail cams next to creeks and rivers would be easier :) ( and are there now from hunters )

I'm wondering if boat mounted could offer a wider view and uninterrupted view over a longer length of a waterway. Would checking one boat's footage be easier than several dozen trail cams?

It doesn't seem trail cams are stopping projects like Dr. Meldrum's. That is why I posted it in this thread.

It was just a thought.

Edited by QuiteContrary

The problem in Afghanistan is not spotting targets, it's confirming the target is the one they want to kill.

I don't think they would have any problem finding heart signatures and getting good clear photos if they have the right cameras with quality optics. It's just like anything else...it comes down to how much money you can throw at it.

You are right! My bad. i was talking with my friend who is in the army, and he says that thermo cameras aren't all what they are cracked up to be though. That dense canopies and thick tree trunks can block the heat signature. :unsure2: Can anyone else confirm this? I am now curious...

• 2 weeks later...

I guess maybe Meldrum is not going to show up.....I am going to copy paste the emails to and from him, and will remind him after posting......These are in reverse order of conversation.

Sorry if I took the scam remark out of temporal context. My quick skim gave much more of an impression of armchair sniping, of which I get plenty already. Hence my hesitancy. I will be happy to answer questions and welcome constructive suggestions. I am leaving town for the coming week and will not have much time to jump in right away.

Jeff

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Robert Lester <GoDucks@frontier.com> wrote:

I was thinking it may be a scam. You know as well as I do there are a lot of them. Until you replied, I was still thinking that it may be one. I was actually very glad to see a reputable person is involved. I take offense that you do not see any “ knowledgable “ conversations going on.Let me just paste how I asked William to join, maybe it will be more inviting. I sure hope it is. Skeptics or not, any of us would love to see something actually come out of this project. I would love to be able to say “ I was wrong “.

Invite to William below, I hope you would re-consider. And I appreciate you answering emails.

Hello again,

I can make a quick request. Your story has been posted on the top “ paranormal “ discussion site on the net. The site basically has discussions on anything from Bigfoot to God, and World News to Conspiracy Theories. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people in the discussions, and some smart asses also. ( as in anywhere ). Mainly, the discussions are great, and a lot comes out of them. Your story is being debated right now. Of course the “ does Bigfoot even exist “ has been mentioned, but also the details of how much money is needed, if Idaho State is really involved, if this is a scam, why not use RC drones and Blimps that are available now, with FPV capabilities, and camera also.

What I am hoping, is if you can get involved in the discussion, and be involved in the debate. Myself, I live in the Pacific Northwest, hunt it, fish it, know many people in the lumber industry, and Fish and Wildlife. I would love to be involved, although I need you to know I am not a “ believer “ in a large primate living in the US or Canada. The discussions though I enjoy very much. Please take a look, and hopefully get involved in this discussion, don’t let the one liner smart asses get to you, if any show up. A lot of us would love to eat crow on this, and there are a lot of people that believe also. I have nothing to do with the site, other then a member, and the site makes no money as far as I know. I have had quite a few people join in on discussions that involved them, one example is if you saw “ The Demon Exorcist “ on Animal Planet. I was able to get the woman that was the “ victim “ on the show involved to tell her story, and give her evidence.

If anything, it can be educational to everyone, and can also be free PR for your goal. Below is the link to the topic, I hope you can get involved and fill in some details, and answer a lot of questions. Would be greatlly appreciated.

Thank you,

Robert Lester

Sent:
Monday, October 15, 2012 1:35 PM

To:

Subject:
Re: clarification

Please don't compare me to Biscardi -- this is why I have little if any motivation to have a conversation on your forum. I glanced through your posts and those of others and I see little evidence of a "knowledgable" conversation taking place. You have already stated that you think the whole thing is a scam. So to what end a conversation on a public forum with you?

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Robert Lester <
> wrote:

Nothing professional, but a lot of interested people that have a high interest in this topic. Both skeptical and “ believers “. Not a bunch of whack jobs, or kids, but adults that discuss these types of things. I live in the Pacific Northwest and hunt, fish, etc. here and I have a high interest in discussing it. I get it though, if no money involved, or high publicity, not time for it. Biscardi is just like that also. I was hoping either you or William would take a bit of time and answer a few questions. There are some very knowledgeable people there, and good people also. Hell, never know, maybe even people with money.

Thanks for answering anyway,

Robert Lester

Sent:
Monday, October 15, 2012 9:59 AM

To:

Subject:

If you have a professional interest in discussing the details of the project I will be happy to talk to you in person.

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Robert Lester <
> wrote:

Thank You Jeff,

If you have time, I have asked William also, to answer some questions, or get involved on a discussion about this on a very popular site. It would be nice to have you involved if you have time.

Thank You,

Robert Lester

Here is the link.

Sent:
Monday, October 15, 2012 7:14 AM

To:

Subject:

Yes, I am involved. I will be leading the scientific facet, with William and Jason on the technical arrangements. The University has approved the proposal and the ISU Foundation will be handling the private donations.

Jeff

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Robert Lester <
> wrote:

Hello Jeff,

I am in a debate of sorts, and would like to have you confirm or deny that you are involved in a Bigfoot project, “ The Falcon Project “?

For someone to be asking for donations, I would like to see something more substantial that this is legitimate, and you have something to do with it also.

“ The research is to be coordinated through Idaho State University, with Dr. Jeff Meldrum, professor of anatomy & anthropology, acting as principal investigator. “

Thank you, I will await your reply before I make any decisions.

Robert
  • Like 1

Hello all. I have accepted Robert's invitation to participate in some discussion of the Falcon Project and matters relating to the investigation of the sasquatch question. However, I am on my way out the door after this brief intrroduction and won't be responding until tomorrow. Have a good evening!

Jeff

• Like 4

Hello all. I have accepted Robert's invitation to participate in some discussion of the Falcon Project and matters relating to the investigation of the sasquatch question. However, I am on my way out the door after this brief intrroduction and won't be responding until tomorrow. Have a good evening!

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks, appreciate it...Before I go off on more, can you please reply to my last email and confirm this is you.....Forums like this, and especially with me replying you would be here, I would like to confirm to everyone it is.

It has happened before, someone will pose as someone else......

Just a quick reply, ( from the email I just sent a hour ago ) or so and I will know I am not wasting my time, and others also.....THANKS!!!!

Edit to add : Not to mention, if someone is posing as you, that would really be wrong, and against the rules.

Edited by Sakari

Sakari is right, that is a real issue on an forum where you can be almost anonymous. And spell as badly as you want to too!! (Had to look up Anonymous).

Look forward to any discussion on the subject. Hearing about any progress will be very cool too.

One question that I have for the good Dr. is this "how will you decide where to search?" Obviously you can't go everywhere or see everywhere, but you have to start looking somewhere - how is that location decided upon? thanks. And Thanks for being a part of the forum. Regardless of my views on the topic, it is an honor to interact with someone of the scientific persuasion who has dedicated their time and energy to the pursuit of Sasquatch in ways other than to futz around on the internet like most of us here do.

Welcome!

I want to confirm to everyone that yes, that is Jeff.....

He has replied to the emails myself and him have been having back and forth...

Welcome Jeff !!!!!

And Thank You !!

• Like 1

Wow! Great! And yes, welcome, Dr. Meldrum. I am excited to hear about this project in your own words.

Edited by QuiteContrary

I'm just going to list some of my questions, in case I miss the opportunity.

Dr. Meldrum:

Feel free to answer any or none at all.

And again, thank you for giving us this opportunity to learn more about the Falcon Project.

First of all, the airship sounds amazing! Definitely a once in a researcher's lifetime opportunity. Congratulations!

--Is funding going well and do you see project completion as scheduled (spring 2013)?

--The ship sounds revolutionary in design. Have any prototypes (or similar craft) been tested for stability, agility, and wind vulnerability?

--What is Idaho State University’s involvement with the project?

--Will the aircraft be focusing on other (non-bigfoot) research at the same time? Say, to generate needed revenue to keep the project "in the air"?

--Will this be an international search project? (Canada)

--It is such a large ship. Why so large? It seems, to my novice mind, a ship of this size would be heard and seen and even felt by a creature that has survived by being almost supernaturally elusive, wary, and sensitive to its surroundings. (Lights on the ship, sounds more easily heard at night)

--With a range of 5 miles how do you plan on transporting the command trailer and large airship to “rugged remote forested terrain” locations? As described in the article.

--Mr. Barnes said he will be utilizing the airship in 12 states. Can you elaborate on which states? Are they all in one area of the Unites States?

--Would you further explain the purpose behind the kill switch? Thus, it will be live-streaming? To whom?

Sincerely,

Lyn (Quite Contrary)

Edited by QuiteContrary

Dr. Meldrum, (cont)

--I see the project will also be using infrasound. How did the theory that this hominid uses infrasound for communication come about?

"I have been immersed in Sasquatch research for a number of years, and I can tell you in my mind a mountain of evidence supports the existence of these creatures," Ken Gerhard, a San Antonio cryptozoologist who co-wrote "Monsters of Texas," recently told the Houston Chronicle.

This is an excerpt from the bottom of the article QC posted. Isn't it interesting how they make this guy sound like he's some sort of actual expert? Until you realize that anyone can call themselves a "cryptozoologist", and he co-wrote a book which means he couldn't write one on his own.

This from Wikipedia on Ken Gerhard:

Ken Gerhard is a cryptozoologist and field researcher for the Centre for Fortean Zoology and Gulf Coast Bigfoot Research Organization, as well as a fellow of the Pangea Institute and consultant for various paranormal groups. He has investigated reports of cryptids and mysterious animals around the world including Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, the Chupacabras, Mothman, Thunderbirds and werewolves. In addition to appearing in three episodes of the television series Monster Quest (History Channel), Ken featured in the History Channel special The Real Wolfman, as well as Legend Hunters (Travel Channel/A&E), Paranatural (National Geographic), Ultimate Encounters (truTV) and William Shatner's Weird or What? (History Television-Canada). His credits include appearances on several news broadcasts, Coast to Coast AM, and Ireland’s Newstalk, as well as being featured in various books, DVDs and in articles by the Associated Press, Houston Chronicle and Tampa Tribune. Ken is author of the book Big Bird: Modern Sightings of Flying Monsters as well as the co-author of Monsters of Texas (with Nick Redfern) and has contributed to trade publications including Fate Magazine, Animals and Men, The Journal of the British Columbia Scientific Cryptozoology Club and Bigfoot Times. He currently lectures and exhibits at events across the United States.

It sure looks like this old boy has a vested interest in keeping the myth going rather than solving it for all time.

Edited by keninsc

This is an excerpt from the bottom of the article QC posted. Isn't it interesting how they make this guy sound like he's some sort of actual expert? Until you realize that anyone can call themselves a "cryptozoologist", and he co-wrote a book which means he couldn't write one on his own.

This from Wikipedia on Ken Gerhard:

Ken Gerhard is a cryptozoologist and field researcher for the Centre for Fortean Zoology and Gulf Coast Bigfoot Research Organization, as well as a fellow of the Pangea Institute and consultant for various paranormal groups. He has investigated reports of cryptids and mysterious animals around the world including Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, the Chupacabras, Mothman, Thunderbirds and werewolves. In addition to appearing in three episodes of the television series Monster Quest (History Channel), Ken featured in the History Channel special The Real Wolfman, as well as Legend Hunters (Travel Channel/A&E), Paranatural (National Geographic), Ultimate Encounters (truTV) and William Shatner's Weird or What? (History Television-Canada). His credits include appearances on several news broadcasts, Coast to Coast AM, and Ireland’s Newstalk, as well as being featured in various books, DVDs and in articles by the Associated Press, Houston Chronicle and Tampa Tribune. Ken is author of the book Big Bird: Modern Sightings of Flying Monsters as well as the co-author of Monsters of Texas (with Nick Redfern) and has contributed to trade publications including Fate Magazine, Animals and Men, The Journal of the British Columbia Scientific Cryptozoology Club and Bigfoot Times. He currently lectures and exhibits at events across the United States.

It sure looks like this old boy has a vested interest in keeping the myth going rather than solving it for all time.

This guy is not credible. It's funny how he says "in my mind a mountain of evidence supports the existence".

Ok so lets speculate though. Lets say they get the thing up and going and the project is able to resolve incredible detail both photographically and from a thermal imaging standpoint. How good would the images have to be to meet the standards of evidence for a possible undiscovered hairy hominid? Opinions?

I do not think a clear picture would be needed, if the airship can capture a group of suspected hominid living in the middle of nowhere then a follow up with a helicopter would be in order.

If the airship fails to get a picture, I suggest smearing Vaseline on the lens, that works on the ground.

This guy is not credible. It's funny how he says "in my mind a mountain of evidence supports the existence".

Yeah, I wonder if Dr. Meldrum was sorry this guy was quoted in the article?

Welcome to the discussion Dr. Meldrum, thanks for taking the time to join us.

First, I would like to parrot QuiteContrary's questions in post #111

Second, a few of my own.

1) Will this project be utilized mainly for proving the existence of Bigfoot or will it me primarily for gathering more evidence? Will we see some heat signatures that could be Bigfoot or will the project continue until something more concrete can be found?

2) Will the Falcon Project be a sustained effort in the quest for cataloging Bigfoot or after a time will the craft be re-purposed or sold or even scrapped? Is there any talk of a sustained program at all or is it a matter of 'crossing that bridge when we get there'?

That is all I have for now, thanks again Dr. Meldrum for agreeing to a little Q&A.

Of course he isn't credible, that's why I posted what I found out about him for everyone to read.

While we all have varying degrees of belief and non-belief, it's based on what we know about Bigfoot or whatever from what we've read and heard. My own openness is not due to any evidence I've seen, quite the contrary, if I were to go with the "evidence" to date then I'd be in the camp of the card carrying, die hard, skeptics. If this guy wants to "believe" then that's his choice to make. What I find interesting is if we suddenly prove that they do exist, then this old boy will have to get a real job, along with the Bigfoot Quartet on "Finding Bigfoot" Let's face it, Matt Moneymaker left a career as an attorney to go off making a TV show about Bigfoot. You really think he wants to have to deal with the 9 to 5 grind again?

And speaking of old Doc Meldrum...........

Where the heck is he? Hmmmm? One post then, poof, he's gone like a Bigfoot on camera. Assuming he was ever here in the beginning.

And speaking of old Doc Meldrum...........

Where the heck is he? Hmmmm? One post then, poof, he's gone like a Bigfoot on camera. Assuming he was ever here in the beginning.

He was, he confirmed it through email, I posted that. *Snip*

Edited by Karlis
Do not get into personal conflicts. Let's see what eventuates from further inputs.

Dr. Meldrum, (cont)

One article mentioned that being a research project tied to a university, grants the Falcon Project some special privileges, however:

--Is this type of aerial reconnaissance legal when you could have people's homes in the path of your information gathering?

--Can you legally pilot a ship, especially of this size, while out of visual sight of the ship itself?

DARPA might fund it, if the frame could be set up to support hard points to mount weapons. Make the envelope of kevlar, for bullet resistance.

I still think this could be a good tool for many groups and professions who study large animals in their natural environment. Especially if used at night. The engines should be able to be changed out for quieter ones if necessary, but might result in loss of speed.

I wonder if the ship will have audio pickup capability?

Edited by DieChecker

DARPA might fund it, if the frame could be set up to support hard points to mount weapons. Make the envelope of kevlar, for bullet resistance.

I still think this could be a good tool for many groups and professions who study large animals in their natural environment. Especially if used at night. The engines should be able to be changed out for quieter ones if necessary, but might result in loss of speed.

I wonder if the ship will have audio pickup capability?

I don't think the idea is a bad one and if they are able to incorporate electric motors then they might well be able to maintain a more stealthy presence. I know battery technology has come a long way, but batteries are heavy suckers to lift.

On a side note, the US Air Force actually built a propeller driven plane that was powered by an atomic reactor, it worked and was really flown. The problem was the shielding required and the inherent weight of such a system at that time meant that there was little room to carry bombs, not to mention the nasty nuclear mess you'd have if one crashed. So the idea was cancelled soon after the flight.

Now, if I were to be asked to contribute an idea for them I'd recommend they take a good hard look at using a small reactor to trickle charge the battery in order to reduce the size of the batteries required and extend the flight time. And yeah, you still have that nasty atomic reactor to worry about if the darn thing crashed and you'd have to use radiation protocols and all that sort of thing. However, NASA the ESA has been using that technology on many of the probes to Mars and other space probes, so it's not new and there is much information available for them to consider.

If this is a University project to build the craft, then probably there will be quite a lot of safety factor built in, so that the engines will be 50 to 100% stronger then they need to be. And the craft will have 50 to 100% extra lift. I know when I was studying mechanical engineering and we built a man powered vehicle for a Senior Project, that we always put a 2X safety factor on everything, so we used thick titanium tubing when regular steel, or aluminum might have worked just as well, but would not have had that safety factor to it.

Quite probably this craft could carry less framework and smaller engines and more batteries and have a much longer range and mission length.