Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does anyone know what this medallion is?

White Unicorn

This is my first topic post so I hope I have it right in forum. This is a very old family heirloom and I want to find out what it really is. Any help is appreciated :tu:

post-122220-0-11253100-1350158445_thumb.

• Like 1

The top part is from the Emmerton Court lodge, the center is from the York lodge, the bottom could be from the Masonic Knights order. To trace the origin you might have to check which lodge has contacts into all three groups. Could also be that somebody created his own medal.

Germanic 19th century? State of Hanover?

I'm not good at these but this is probably a medal and perhaps a badge but not a medallion.

• Like 2

Looks Masonic with the compass-ruler. I also thought Knights of Columbus because of the triangle/skull and red cross but the larger cross on the bottom is not positioned right, there's are angled.

Definitely a fraternal order. Might also be an officer's pin or an award within the organization.

Edited by Mr. Smith
  • Like 1

It's Masonic ,but depending upon the specific group it came from ,their are sometimes differences in designs.

I love the Masonic women's rings ,and some are very run of the mill,and some are specially made for a specific person,so they have different settings ,stones and designs ,depending .

So just assume its Masonic in origin ,and a male member wore it ,more than likely .

• Like 1

I don't know what it is but its really nice.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. I have a very diverse family history. This is from my father's side which didn't make sense at all to me. France Huguenots to Germany England and Holland before coming to states. He had Kaballah ancesters on grandmother's side so I could not link it to Knights of Columbus although I saw some simularity to that. A lot of inter religious marriages for centuries so there may have been a Catholic on that side I don't know about! My mothers side had York and Scottish Rite and Templars so I could identify that side of the family items. This one is very mysterious to me. It doesn't fit with anyone and great great grandad died and nobody knew what it was except it was old when he got it. It's like a polished lead or pewtar and the clasp looks very medival or homemade. There were metal makers and blacksniths on this side of family dating back to the 15th century.

• Like 1

spoooky... the skull is creepy

That's what my dad and I thought so it was just stashed in a jewelry box for years as that weird whatever badge or medal!

It might have been emblem of crusades because of the horse and cross? I think might represent John the Baptist? Thought I'd give it shot and post it to get clues.

• Like 1

The top part is from the Emmerton Court lodge, the center is from the York lodge, the bottom could be from the Masonic Knights order. To trace the origin you might have to check which lodge has contacts into all three groups. Could also be that somebody created his own medal.

That may be the biggest clue for me to look into. I had one great great grandfather on my dad's side that was a Freemason who served under George Washington in the revolution. He's the first grandfather on that side that I know was a Mason. What Rite was Washington?

• Like 1

That's what my dad and I thought so it was just stashed in a jewelry box for years as that weird whatever badge or medal!

It might have been emblem of crusades because of the horse and cross? I think might represent John the Baptist? Thought I'd give it shot and post it to get clues.

Not a horse. It's the lamb of god.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamb_of_God

http://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&safe=off&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=825&q=agnus+dei&oq=agnus+dei&gs_l=img.3..0l5j0i5l3j0i24l2.1448.5652.0.7322.9.9.0.0.0.0.104.832.8j1.9.0...0.0...1ac.1.7wDeWZMlXno

• Like 1

I was thinking horse since a lot of medival coins have horses looking like this for some reason, but I believe you are correct because of the slanted cross!

I couldn't link to your site, why do you think a slanted cross is creepy, any reason in particular?

My link was only to some Kinight's Templar badges. Nah.. no proper reason, I had a dream I was blind and being chased by serpents once. I survived and my sight was restored and one of the first things I saw was a cross being carried past me, slanted behind three lights. Weird, I know... just a disturbing dream that has stuck with me. :)

I dont know what it is but somehow reminds me on WW1 medallions.

Grand dad was in World War II nobody in WWI . I asked my dad when he was living and he said that it belonged to one of his dad's great fathers and that's all he knew.

That may be the biggest clue for me to look into. I had one great great grandfather on my dad's side that was a Freemason who served under George Washington in the revolution. He's the first grandfather on that side that I know was a Mason. What Rite was Washington?

It was called the Alexandria Lodge #22, but initially he joined the Lodge in Fredricksburg. There were strong connections to the York Lodge, as far as I can reconstruct, but I can't find a connection to Emmerton Court.

As far as the Masonic Knights, they are not to be confused with prior organizations as the Templar or later organizations as the Masonic Knight Templar or even more recent creations such as the Masonic Knights. Initially it was a subchapter for the military. I don't think it exists anymore.

And if I keep this on they are going to make a big juju ceremony for divulging their (not so secret) secrets) :devil:

• Like 1

Hmm Interesting aspects of masons and royal lineage. ? :unsure2:

Take it your local Masonic Hall on a meeting night and ask the Secretary if he and his brethren can identify the Lodge/Chapter? (They won't bite) It could have been made for a specific person. Honorary Member of different Lodges?

Edit cos I forgot how to spell honorary. Grr.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

Hmm Interesting aspects of masons and royal lineage. ? :unsure2:

Most royalty practiced within different Rites

It was called the Alexandria Lodge #22, but initially he joined the Lodge in Fredricksburg. There were strong connections to the York Lodge, as far as I can reconstruct, but I can't find a connection to Emmerton Court.

As far as the Masonic Knights, they are not to be confused with prior organizations as the Templar or later organizations as the Masonic Knight Templar or even more recent creations such as the Masonic Knights. Initially it was a subchapter for the military. I don't think it exists anymore.

And if I keep this on they are going to make a big juju ceremony for divulging their (not so secret) secrets) :devil:

After the revolution and when they were building Washington DC I see that many Rites gathered together to build the new country etc. I was thinking since this crossed Rites it must have been from that time era some kind of special badge for some service maybe? I haven't found any one in the Freemasonry that knows its origination within any current order, its too old.

Templars & Knights always confused me since there are so many different subchapters throughout the ages and even the Orders today.

But I really doubt any of them are going to do a juju ceremony! I wouldn't have posted if I thought it was letting out a real secret about something. Those tales were mostly from the days of serious life and death situations, persecution and the survivival of the Orders. I'd like to think we're in better times although when I read some of the Mason conspiracy crap posted I have my doubts. I guess and there are some orders on the dark side claming to be what they are not! History could start to repeat itself with the witch hunts if the conspiracy guys and these nuts get there way :(

After the revolution and when they were building Washington DC I see that many Rites gathered together to build the new country etc. I was thinking since this crossed Rites it must have been from that time era some kind of special badge for some service maybe? I haven't found any one in the Freemasonry that knows its origination within any current order, its too old.

Templars & Knights always confused me since there are so many different subchapters throughout the ages and even the Orders today.

But I really doubt any of them are going to do a juju ceremony! I wouldn't have posted if I thought it was letting out a real secret about something. Those tales were mostly from the days of serious life and death situations, persecution and the survivival of the Orders. I'd like to think we're in better times although when I read some of the Mason conspiracy crap posted I have my doubts. I guess and there are some orders on the dark side claming to be what they are not! History could start to repeat itself with the witch hunts if the conspiracy guys and these nuts get there way :(

'twas supposed to be a joke.

But as to confusions, neither the Templar nor anything before the 16th century had ever anything to do with Freemasons. Yes there are legends about ancient Egypt, a believe owed to a certain quack called Guiseppe Balsamo (better known as Alessandro Comte de Calgiostro) and his Paris "loggia", but that has nothing to do with reality.

The Templar were but one of many Monk orders created to protect and help pilgrims on their way to Jerusalem, but to the contrary of others got a little too mighty, which attracted the King of France to conspire against them. His aim was to get their money. He did not get it, most ended up in Portugal and was invested in making the Portuguese the mightiest seafaring nation in the world (at least for some time). And precisely this disappearance of the cash is what created the legends.

The Freemasons were mostly a political organization, and therefore persecuted in all but liberal minded countries.

'twas supposed to be a joke.

But as to confusions, neither the Templar nor anything before the 16th century had ever anything to do with Freemasons. Yes there are legends about ancient Egypt, a believe owed to a certain quack called Guiseppe Balsamo (better known as Alessandro Comte de Calgiostro) and his Paris "loggia", but that has nothing to do with reality.

The Templar were but one of many Monk orders created to protect and help pilgrims on their way to Jerusalem, but to the contrary of others got a little too mighty, which attracted the King of France to conspire against them. His aim was to get their money. He did not get it, most ended up in Portugal and was invested in making the Portuguese the mightiest seafaring nation in the world (at least for some time). And precisely this disappearance of the cash is what created the legends.

The Freemasons were mostly a political organization, and therefore persecuted in all but liberal minded countries.

Glad to hear you were joking :)

It's still hard for me to fathom all the history! It's overwhelming when you start linking conventional history and add the traditional history that comes down through the modern orders of Rosicrucians and Masons. France had Rosicrucians and the Knights and later Freemasonry was created with different orders and Rites. Some ventured to Scotland becoming Scottish Rite then venturing to the US. Some were York and the RAM. Freemasons were always bound to be political because the main ideal to better each man spiritually with God and create a government with tolerance and bring charity and freedom for humankind beyond the religious and political powers that be. It seems to me many Rites are more social and charity today until you become part of an Order within the other Rites. It becomes very perplexing, who's who now days if you know what I mean.