Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Now there's more ice at South Pole than ever

Big Bad Voodoo

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2216238/Now-theres-ice-South-Pole-So-global-warming-thawing-Antarctica.html

Ice around the South Pole has expanded to cover a record area, scientists revealed yesterday – a month after saying that the North Pole had lost an unprecedented amount of its ice.

Researchers say – rather confusingly – that both occurrences are down to the ‘complex and surprising’ effects of global warming.

• Like 1

The ice at the north pole decided to move to the south pole.

• Like 1

Global warming can cause some strange things. You would think it would be losing ice at the south pole too.

Evidence of a balanced system of heating/cooling perhaps?

No, just a different climate gas, the Ozone hole is above the South pole and causes heat to be sent back into space. But in 2040, when the Ozone hole is finally closed that will change fast.

But I guess that would have been too much foe a Snail reporter to check, it does not come naked or in bikini.

Evidence that the climate is complex and responds to many different influences. Overall Ice mass has reduced even at the South Pole, and certain areas are shrinking whilst others are growing.

Br Cornelius

Meanwhile, the Arctic ocean ice melts are breaking all the records so far.

I once heard that the earth is bulging more at the equator.

The magnetic north is on an accelerated path of travel, moving rapidly in the direction of Russia.

Now the anarctic ice is laying on more weight.

We are just learning about the earths climate feedback mechanisms, just like we are still learning about the human body's feedback mechanisms, and still learning more about the Kreb's cycle.

Meanwhile, we presently sit on earth unaware while our geomagnetic field is being rocked and rolled:

"The Bz component of the Interplanetary Magnetic Field (IMF) was tipped sharply south for several hours early Saturday morning, and this helped stir up geomagnetic activity at high latitudes. A prolonged period of Minor to Moderate Geomagnetic storming was observed." http://www.solarham.net/

So it is better to just sit back, measure all with objectivity and stop the extreme political stances on the current climate conditions.

Edited by regeneratia
  • Like 1

This was my first reaction too, part of the cause/effect of global "climate change"? Maybe the term "global warming" isn't detailed and accurate enough, or maybe theres a cycle where the coldest areas shift around. Maybe in relation to the location of the "hole in the ozone" layer? (I'm not very educated on the subject, but I seem to remember this detail standing out about the layer)

This was my first reaction too, part of the cause/effect of global "climate change"? Maybe the term "global warming" isn't detailed and accurate enough, or maybe theres a cycle where the coldest areas shift around. Maybe in relation to the location of the "hole in the ozone" layer? (I'm not very educated on the subject, but I seem to remember this detail standing out about the layer)

you remember right, but as most don't so the Daily Mail, or better said somebody making the Daily Mail a tool, can start arguing against something that is as evident as night and day.

Hmm dose this mean the theory where the earth will topple on its axis and snap freeze everything will come true. :w00t:

• Like 1

Let's not forget the difference between melting pack ice and melting glacial ice. Quite a difference, with very different implications for warming.

Doug

Why can't we ever have a climate prediction that comes true? Surely the alarmist would get more support if they can point and say "i told you so!"

Why can't we ever have a climate prediction that comes true? Surely the alarmist would get more support if they can point and say "i told you so!"

Mean Global temperature trend - correctly predicted. There you go - I told you so :tu:

Br Cornelius

Public release date: 16-Oct-2012, http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-10/haog-aeb101612.php

Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres

An extremely brief reversal of the geomagnetic field, climate variability and a super volcano

41,000 years ago, a complete and rapid reversal of the geomagnetic field occured. Magnetic studies of the GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences on sediment cores from the Black Sea show that during this period, during the last ice age, a compass at the Black Sea would have pointed to the south instead of north. Moreover, data obtained by the research team formed around GFZ researchers Dr. Norbert Nowaczyk and Prof. Helge Arz, together with additional data from other studies in the North Atlantic, the South Pacific and Hawaii, prove that this polarity reversal was a global event. Their results are published in the latest issue of the scientific journal "Earth and Planetary Science Letters".

What is remarkable is the speed of the reversal: "The field geometry of reversed polarity, with field lines pointing into the opposite direction when compared to today's configuration, lasted for only about 440 years, and it was associated with a field strength that was only one quarter of today's field," explains Norbert Nowaczyk. "The actual polarity changes lasted only 250 years. In terms of geological time scales, that is very fast." During this period, the field was even weaker, with only 5% of today's field strength. As a consequence, the Earth nearly completely lost its protection shield against hard cosmic rays, leading to a significantly increased radiation exposure.

This is documented by peaks of radioactive beryllium (10Be) in ice cores from this time, recovered from the Greenland ice sheet. 10Be as well as radioactive carbon (14C) is caused by the collision of high-energy protons from space with atoms of the atmosphere.

The Laschamp event

The polarity reversal now found with the magnetisation of Black Sea sediments has already been known for 45 years. It was first discovered after the analysis of the magnetisation of several lava flows near the village Laschamp near Clermont-Ferrand in the Massif Central, which differed significantly from today's direction of the geomagnetic field. Since then, this geomagnetic feature is known as the 'Laschamp event'. However, the data of the Massif Central represent only some point readings of the geomagnetic field during the last ice age, whereas the new data from the Black Sea give a complete image of geomagnetic field variability at a high temporal resolution.

Abrupt climate changes and a super volcano

Besides giving evidence for a geomagnetic field reversal 41,000 years ago, the geoscientists from Potsdam discovered numerous abrupt climate changes during the last ice age in the analysed cores from the Black Sea, as it was already known from the Greenland ice cores. This ultimately allowed a high precision synchronisation of the two data records from the Black Sea and Greenland. The largest volcanic eruption on the Northern hemisphere in the past 100 000 years, namely the eruption of the super volcano 39400 years ago in the area of today's Phlegraean Fields near Naples, Italy, is also documented within the studied sediments from the Black Sea. The ashes of this eruption, during which about 350 cubic kilometers of rock and lava were ejected, were distributed over the entire eastern Mediterranean and up to central Russia. These three extreme scenarios, a short and fast reversal of the Earth's magnetic field, short-term climate variability of the last ice age and the volcanic eruption in Italy, have been investigated for the first time in a single geological archive and placed in precise chronological order.

###

Nowaczyk, N. R.; Arz, H. W.; Frank, U.; Kind, J.; Plessen, B. (2012): "Dynamics of the Laschamp geomagnetic excursion from Black Sea sediments" Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 351-352, 54-69. doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2012.06.050.

Images in printable resolution:

www.gfz-potsdam.de/portal/gfz/Public+Relations/M40-Bildarchiv/Bildergalerie_Laschamp

It was a very cold dry winter in Australia so I can understand the extra ice. Our weather systems form offf the antartic coast or near abouts. Hell it snowed in Canberra.....Twice!!!! Once in the middle of spring. Now I dont know what has made the world topsy turvy, But there were lots of cyclones offf Asia this Year and Places like the US had bad droughts. We also have been warned for a extreme summer in Australia. So there must be something wrong whether its man/earth/solar related I dunno. ...... I saw snow yippee!!! :)

Better just to sit on the fence regarding climate change:

OH man, I saw this a day ago. This is important stuff.

I think we need to make note about the fact that this is a lava planet. Heat. Has surely got to influence this solar system.

Closest-Ever Exoplanet Discovered In The Alpha Centauri Star System

October 17, 201

"But astronomers have finally been able to uncover such a planet in this star system, one that orbits Alpha Centauri B, and does so in a very tight orbit of just 3.6 days. It also has a surface temperature approaching 2,200 degrees Fahrenheit, making it far too hot for life to thrive. However, astronomers speculate that the planet is “tidally locked,” meaning the same side always faces its host star; further investigations will be required to prove this, but the team thinks its possible the planet could have an atmosphere.

via.pngredOrbit (http://s.tt/1qinD)"

http://www.redorbit....t-found-101712/

• 4 weeks later...

I suppose I could start a new thread for this article I saw on Google News this morning, but this thread seems an appropriate place to post it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/nov/11/poles-scientists-antarctic-sea-ice

From the article : "The Arctic is losing sea ice five times faster than the Antarctic is gaining it, so, on average, the Earth is losing sea ice very quickly. There is no inconsistency between our results and global warming."

I suppose I could start a new thread for this article I saw on Google News this morning, but this thread seems an appropriate place to post it.

http://www.guardian....tarctic-sea-ice

From the article : "The Arctic is losing sea ice five times faster than the Antarctic is gaining it, so, on average, the Earth is losing sea ice very quickly. There is no inconsistency between our results and global warming."

Ehm, yes, that was known for quite a time but just kept been silenced by the drone of the denialists... you know that cult claiming that the earth is not warming...

And the reasons why the ice is growing in the South is (in all likelihood) also known.

"There is no inconsistency between our results and global warming"

except the ipcc and their climate models were expecting a loss of sea ice in the antarctic.

http://www.ipcc.ch/i...dex.php?idp=150

They call it a "mystery" in the article that I linked, so I would imagine their models will be tweaked with this new information. They solved the mystery and it doesn't disprove the premise. I'm not sure how this is a problem.

They call it a "mystery" in the article that I linked, so I would imagine their models will be tweaked with this new information. They solved the mystery and it doesn't disprove the premise. I'm not sure how this is a problem.

what would disprove the premise?