Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evil Dead Remake

Simbi Laveau

The first one is actually a milestone in horror.

Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell ,both were launched from it ,and it took years to make .

They has soooo little money ,they had to start and stop filming for months . The make up was very low budget .

The actors kept getting eye infections from the contact lenses etc. Everyone was a complete trooper in making it .

At the time,it was premiere in horror ,for all of us. There was nothing else like it before.

It set a new standard in horror.

Respect !

In my opinion, anyone who is an aspiring filmmaker (even if not in the horror genre) should look into Bruce and Sam's early years. They were incredibly self sufficient and dedicated even though Bruce makes light of it and jokes around. Plus, if you read about the crap they had to go through and still want to be a filmmaker, you definitely have some potential.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine has been working on the special effects for this. I was initially dismissive - why remake such a great movie? Then he showed me a video he had on his phone of some of the models they've used, and I've got to say they look pretty awesome. Most of the effects are analogue using latex models with some CGI for gore and splatter effects. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to special effects. I reckon only the best CGI can match analogue. I'm looking forward to seeing this now.

It looks like the original but with a bit more emphasis on the gore and mood music anyway I will take a gander and see if its up to par with the original. :unsure2:

• Like 1

i watched it first when i was six....will look forward to a remake but never found it to be much of a scarey film....mind you im a bit weird like that...not found a scarey film yet x

Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?. :gun:

• Like 8

Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?. :gun:

Nice quote, and I just come to the realization of a second point, this remake is playing it completely straight-faced well I guess like the original Evil Dead. This doesnt have any resemblance to Evil Dead 2 at all.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's an underground cult classic that has potential to be seen in a new perspective with the hand of a new director. Long-time fans will be beside themselves. Anyone else won't get it. But these type of movie series are for the diehards.

The idea of a remake is to make minor changes to improve, by the way.

But if there's already one there... why make another?

Perhaps some new band should re-record Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" in it's entirety. Oh no that would be plagarism wouldn't it?

Well.... I suppose superhero movies are starting to dry up, so they might as well swoop upon cult classics now.

• Like 2

I just watched the Judge Dredd remake it was worse then the original so now I find myself actually liking the original WTF hey :w00t: but I am sceptical about some of these remakes.

New trailer !

Release in April !

http://www.geeksofdo...ent=Yahoo! Mail

That looked pretty creepy... but will it deliver any suspense not just the gratuitous gross-outs?

And still again, no Bruce Campbell either?

I remain sceptical. I love my horror most of the time with a nice serving of suspense and the psychological.

So many recent horror films have fallen flat on their faces because they lacked these qualities especially the recent deluge of remakes. I could do without the gore personally in a horror film because that is just cheap shock value afterall, cutting corners and appeasing the gorehounds (fans that dig ultraviolence and gore).

You want some of the best horror films ever made try Jacques Tourneur's Cat People, Siegal's Invasion Of The Body Snatchers original, Clayton's The Innocents, Harvey's Carnival Of Souls, etc.

• Like 1

That looked pretty creepy... but will it deliver any suspense not just the gratuitous gross-outs?

And still again, no Bruce Campbell either?

I remain sceptical. I love my horror most of the time with a nice serving of suspense and the psychological.

So many recent horror films have fallen flat on their faces because they lacked these qualities especially the recent deluge of remakes. I could do without the gore personally in a horror film because that is just cheap shock value afterall, cutting corners and appeasing the gorehounds (fans that dig ultraviolence and gore).

You want some of the best horror films ever made try Jacques Tourneur's Cat People, Siegal's Invasion Of The Body Snatchers original, Clayton's The Innocents, Harvey's Carnival Of Souls, etc.

Well,he's 30 years older.

He might look ridiculous in this kind of flick,bur he and Sam raimi are producing/directing,and knowing those guys,I smell cameos .

Also ,remember,the entire original cast of ED ,were unknowns.

It gave Sam and bruce ,their ticket into cultdom .

I would think,for them,they hope to do the same for these guys.

Well,he's 30 years older.

He might look ridiculous in this kind of flick,bur he and Sam raimi are producing/directing,and knowing those guys,I smell cameos .

Also ,remember,the entire original cast of ED ,were unknowns.

It gave Sam and bruce ,their ticket into cultdom .

I would think,for them,they hope to do the same for these guys.

No what I meant is Bruce Campbell wont be topped... this film gave him a meteoric genre rise and huge iconic fan following.

The remake indeed has creepy visuals with the body mutilations and decapitated head. Subtlety is out the door here which is expected as the original and its sequel are some of the bloodiest (not the goriest) films ever made but I cant say it looked like anything that would remotely make me jump out of my seat either.

• Like 2

Loved the original ED,... but as most people Im skeptical about the re-makes.

Time will tell.

moviestill.jpg

Someone's in my fruit cellar!

Edited by Hazzard
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Never got the Tree Rape scene...There's got to be another way to possess someone...Still, Evil Dead was great. Loved that movie, and AoD is one of my favorites.

• Like 1

I just watched the Judge Dredd remake it was worse then the original so now I find myself actually liking the original WTF hey :w00t: but I am sceptical about some of these remakes.

yer i felt the same about dread too. what a waist of time and money.i was hoping to see the mutant with the dial on his neck, that dude was freaky.
  • Like 1

[media=]

[/media]

the original dredd gave us this, theres nothing in the remake that could equal the awesomeness in this 9 second clip.

Edited by Iron_Lotus
  • Like 1

yer i felt the same about dread too. what a waist of time and money.i was hoping to see the mutant with the dial on his neck, that dude was freaky.

Wow that's what I was waiting for. :tu:

Yeah, I'm not so keen on this. Watched the trailer that was released a while back, and when I realized the campiness of it was gone (which is part of why I love the original trilogy), decided I'll be saving my money on this one.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not so keen on this. Watched the trailer that was released a while back, and when I realized the campiness of it was gone (which is part of why I love the original trilogy), decided I'll be saving my money on this one.

The first one was not campy ,at all...it was very basic horror ,on a low budget ,that set the standard for any movie like it,that came after it.

Part two was psychological ,part three was all camp .

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. The raves are how did it get just an R rating. What a bunch of Pussies the censors must be ,to think this warranted an NC-17,for just violence and gore .

I think only explicit sexual situations rate NC-17 .ok . There wasn't even nudity . Spare us extreme right .

As for the movie ,if you are NOT a fan of the original ,you will have your socks knocked off. If you are ,the mood won't be exactly right .

There wasn't enough development of the thing in the basement ,like the original .

There's a lot more plot tho.

A preamble to the story . A very different reason as to why they're out there.

It has its merits ,but....something was missing for me .

It's extremely creepy ,huge amts of gore and just sick stuff. That being said,the possession parts,albeit in the first one,just seemed too much like a possession movie for me ,at some points . They are much crieepier than the average possession movie though .

The end has a bit of a twist ,that I was already aware of .

Do watch it to the very very end of the credits .Very very very end ....

The trailers for other movies were Carrie and iron man .

Iron man looks off the hook ,carrie ,watch the original .

• Like 1

It stands on its own as a horror movie.....nothing like the ones before.

Enjoyed it very much.. The gore is pretty harsh but I actually expected more.

Didn't understand the NC-17 rating......people still had their kids in the theater.

Stay til the very end of the credits.

• Like 1

Remakes. Been so many. Most missed the mark but some hit home. And its not only the cult classics like Evil Dead, but the classic classics like King Kong and The Wizard Of Oz as well. I guess in Money Wood, nothing is sacred. I wonder how long it will be before Citizen Kane or Gone With The Wind are presented slammed full of CGI. Actually I'm surprized they haven't done The Rocky Horror Picture Show yet or eek! The Exorcist.

As far as Bruce Campbell, I think he's great at what he does. He nailed Army of Darkness. Any one catch Bubba Ho-tep? And I was glad to hear the new evil dead had such a great opening weekend. America does love its gore. Personaly, I'll wait for the DVD and watch it with a beer and a dubby.