Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shadow people

Tarnibritan

I like Ghost Hunters, they tend to focus on more 'casual' hauntings rather than famous places with well known haunts and evidence etc They also concentrate on the scientific and physical evidence and extensive site scrutiny for practical reasons that the owner feels uneasy (cold drafts/electromagnetic emittances/tricks of light) whilst many TV 'entertainment' based shows disregard these factors and have spiritual mediums (who usually clearly act).

Now, it's on television so in my opinion, at least a few instances of coming across evidence will probably be exaggerated/fabricated if nothing has come to light during the investigation (the show needs to have some intrigue to it for the casual viewer or ratings will fall etc) so whilst there is that factor, it does seem to hold a lot of interesting evidence, especially evp-wise.

• Like 1

They are attracted to negative things, for exame divorce, fighting, abuse... I guess that environment makes them comfortable. I don't think it makes all of them attracted whats strange is the ones that are attracted.

Everything from an empty house, maybe a place where a crime has occured or a place of extreme misery. Personally I have seen one and during the day too...in one of my posts I describe it. There's a few vids on tube that look convincing.

• Like 2

Do you think they have some kinda intelligence or sentience or are reactions and powered by energy in the same way that 'replay' hauntings seem to work in the right conditions?

If they try to interact or they peek behind a wall or they go across a hall then there has to be some intelligence. If the shadow figure is doing the noises I don't know, but what I know is that a haunting enviroment is what makes them manifest more.

• Like 1

A simple thing like a door slaming is enough to get a- its just your imgaination. In her case this is way more an actual presence. Why she didn't go crazy or reported it or got it studied is beyond me. What I know is that when you see or hear something that you can even doubt your eyes and ears-thats when you know there is something. These happenings are NOT normal and are beyond science, trying to prove it or get is scientifically explored would be spectacular/

For people that have seen something concrete there needs no proof. The more people that experience it the better that people can agree that there is someing trully out there.

• Like 1

The only times I've seen "shadow people" were during sleep paralysis "episodes". I haven't had sleep paralysis in about 6 months now though. When it does happen, and you see full bodied shadows walking toward you and choke you, then you hear the voices! Wow, it's one hell of a dream experience.

I'd like to see a "shadow person" outside of one of these dreams though. They don't seem nearly as aggressive. :]

-skrapiron

Sleep paralysis can probably explain as much as 75% of strange/disturbing experiences in a context of waking up to a visitor in the room who doesn't seem to belong there for want of a better explanation :D An interesting avenue would be asking whether the person was aware of the 'shadow people' phenomenon prior to their experience. If we also rule out tricks of the light/making up stories for attention/angles of room objects etc there is probably 5% that is unexplainable which leaves wondering what the heck these things are!

Shadow people sound scary, I hope I don't meet one - I'd probably poop my pants :passifier:

They aint all that scary..... the one I experienced made me feel on edge, but I wouldnt say it was scary

Well 'scary' is subjective ain't it, I can think of many scarier prospects than coming into contact with a shadow person but I can also say I wouldn't be happy to meet its acquaintance and want to know what the heck it wants and why it came there! :D

I keep seeing shadowy beings in my bedroom late at night.

Quite often I wake up and see one of these things standing in my room in the dark. A year or two ago I was lying on my right side and I rolled over to lie on my left side. I did it very quickly and once I completed the manoeuvre I suddenly saw myself face to face with this shadowy thing with a pointed head (as though it was wearing a hood or a cowl). At the same moment the thing just moved quickly away from the bed and flitted towards the wardrobe without making a sound. I sat up and looked over at the wardrobe but there didn't seem to be anybody there. In fact, I wasn't scared and I just lay back down and went back to sleep.

And just last week I woke in the night and saw a shadow thing leaning over my bedside cabinet at the side of the bed. It seemed to have one arm slightly outstretched in front of it and I'm sure I quickly glimpsed its fingers as thought it was about to pick up an object from the bedside cabinet (there were a few coins, a lamp and a packet of Rennies on it). Again I wasn't scared and when I looked away and then looked back again the thing wasn't there anymore and I just went back to sleep again.

The strange thing is that they don't scare me and I always go to bed, switch off the lamp and go to sleep without being scared. In fact, for some reason most people who see these strange things almost never feel any fear.

Very weird.

I have read that encounters with shadow beings are getting more and more common and that there is actually no reason to fear them as they seem to be quite benign, whatever they are.

http://paranormal.ab...ow-ppl-what.htm

http://www.amazon.co...43184816&sr=1-1

Here's a little tale from one of those two websites:

Q: Can you briefly relate one of the most unnerving or unsettling shadow people encounters you’ve come across?

Jason: In the past couple of months, I was contacted by a woman whose husband was dying of cancer. As the cancer progressed, he reported seeing shadow people standing around his bed. No one else could see them. Weeks from death, the number of shadow people in his room increased to more than 20. Although weak, he convinced his wife to take him to a hotel 150 miles away. When they got to the hotel room, he told his wife he wanted to go on the trip with her to hide from the shadow people, but they’d followed him. After praying for the entities to leave her husband, they vanished and he died.

I’ve come across a number of shadow people stories where they seemed to be waiting for someone to die. Frankly, that gives me the willies.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

When I was a kid,there were no such things as shadow people,or the hatman .

I knew all the lore ,and these are relatively new ,in the total scheme of things .

So they do not register for me. No one I know has ever seen either .

Shadow people have actually been seen for a long time.

On one of those two links which I posted in the post above an investigator spoke to a man who used to see shadow people when he was a kid in the 1940s and books were written about them in the 1800s.

As a child I had multiple experiences with shadow people, and I only found out what they were a couple years ago. Even if people dont believe me, if you look up Rosemary E. Guiley, a paranormal expert studying this you'll find she has collected over 600 cases and whilst all vary, many have very similar themes, such as the feelings of terror when seeing them, the hat man, cloaked, red eyes sometimes yellow eyes etc. It isnt like shadow people are so well known that everyone imagines them with certain attributes.

The one I saw over 10 years ago did not wear a hat.

He was Hugh black as black can be. But I could see his eyes.

He stood next to my bed looking down on me I tried to move my face away from him to avoid looking at him but some kind of force pushed my head directly towards his face and I looked into his eyes he then placed his hand on my forehead.

Till this day I am so confused about the whole experience. I dont understand how everyone has seen shadow people with hats? my shadow guy did not have a hat or hair.

Till this day I am so confused about the whole experience. I dont understand how everyone has seen shadow people with hats? my shadow guy did not have a hat or hair.

It is strange that so many people report seeing shadow people wearing hats.

The most common type of shadow man is the type which wears a 1930s gangster-style fedora and what appears to be a long cloak or something like a trench coat. Even people who previously knew nothing about the phenomenon have witnessed the hat man, so it suggests that it is a real entity. This entity often appears to have red eyes.

One theory, possibly the most popular, is that the shadow people are interdimensional beings. Others say that they are demons.

imagesCABIPULH.jpg

Here are two good links:

http://libertarianal...ans-increasing/

http://mississippi-s...dow-people.html

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

It is strange that so many people report seeing shadow people wearing hats.

Thanks for your reply :)

it may be just something we will never understand but one thing for sure is if he wanted to hurt me he could have done so. I was scared of him at the time but as I have gotten older I feel it was not there to scare me and feel the reason he force me to have eye contact with him was to check on me! but the i could be wrong.

imagesCABIPULH.jpg

Here are two good links:

http://libertarianal...ans-increasing/

http://mississippi-s...dow-people.html

Thanks for your reply :)

it may be just something we will never understand but one thing for sure is if he wanted to hurt me he could have done so. I was scared of him at the time but as I have gotten older I feel it was not there to scare me and feel the reason he force me to have eye contact with him was to check on me! but the i could be wrong.

It seems that they are observing us for some reason. In a lot of cases I've read they seem to hate it when you notice them and if you do they suddenly move away very quickly. And that's exactly what's happened to me when I've seen them in my room. One was stood behind me when I was sleeping and when I woke I turned over and there it was at the side of the bed wearing a pointy hood. As soon as I saw it if moved away very fast towards the wardrobe. I thought to myself "That was strange" and then just went back to sleep. It's as though they enjoy watching you whilst you sleep, which is quite a creepy thought.

• Like 1

They are just a new manifestation of an older phenomenon. Obviously if they were real creatures from the deep places of the spirit world, they would not care to keep up with fashion and project top hats. Nor would they be interested in poking and messing with people while they sleep. You would think a "demon" or "lower dimentional entity" would have better things to do then to mess with humans in very petty ways.

I assumed so ,but it wasn't widely discussed or written about prior to the 90s I guess. What were they called before ? Does anyone know ?

I assumed so ,but it wasn't widely discussed or written about prior to the 90s I guess. What were they called before ? Does anyone know ?

1. Demons

2. Black Smoke Jinns

3. Shayateen/Shayatin

4. Legions of the Devil

5. Qareen/Qarin

6. Shades from Underworld

7. Legions of Yamaraja (the god of death)

8. Incubi/Succubi (in their original form without other manifestations)

9. Self-Shadow Doppelgangers

10. Wraiths

11. Tsalmaveth (shadow of death - according to some interpretations)

Although many cultures considered them demons but some very few cultures also considered them ghosts. With so many different names there was no need to invent another misleading name as "Shadow People" just to dupe people into believing that an alien race was suddenly showing interest in human beings. A misleading term as they are neither shadows (as they look more like black plasma not 2-dimensional shadows), nor people (unlike human people as they were considered 'spirits').

Edited by XingWi

1. Demons

2. Black Smoke Jinns

3. Shayateen/Shayatin

4. Legions of the Devil

5. Qareen/Qarin

6. Shades from Underworld

7. Legions of Yamaraja (the god of death)

8. Incubi/Succubi (in their original form without other manifestations)

9. Self-Shadow Doppelgangers

10. Wraiths

11. Tsalmaveth (shadow of death - according to some interpretations)

Although many cultures considered them demons but some very few cultures also considered them ghosts. With so many different names there was no need to invent another misleading name as "Shadow People" just to dupe people into believing that an alien race was suddenly showing interest in human beings. A misleading term as they are neither shadows (as they look more like black plasma not 2-dimensional shadows), nor people (unlike human people as they were considered 'spirits').

No,shadow people,from how I understand it,are actual black shadows you see .

More common in cemeteries I have heard.

More than half the things you have listed ,are not even close to that.

Djinn,incubi,succubi ,demons,different level of entity entirely .

They aren't even all on the same level .

So ,this is not what I'm thinking of at all .

There were no such thing as shadow people in folk lore ,prior to literally the 1990s.

A high case demon,or succubus ,has never gone around lurking as a black shadow .

This is something new,someone made up ,and *some* entities fall into the category ,but very low case entities .

I'm just not buying it ,as a concept.

No,shadow people,from how I understand it,are actual black shadows you see .

More common in cemeteries I have heard.

When you haven't seen them you cannot disagree with those who have seen them with their own eyes. Unless you quote something from people who have ALWAYS seen them as 2 dimensional shadows on the walls.

Yes they are seen in cemeteries but as 3 dimensional figures not as 2 dimensional shadows on the walls. As I said before they are more like black plasma (3 dimensional black transparent or sometimes full black matter) and have depth to their appearance which 2 dimensional shadows do not. If someone has described them as 2 dimensional black shadows then it could oinly mean that it is their own interpretation or due to a lack of name to call it otherwise. You can confirm this with the posters in this thread itself whether they saw them as 3-dimensional figures or 2 dimensional figures.

More than half the things you have listed ,are not even close to that.

I will go a step further and say 100% of what I said is not even close to shadows on the wall.

Djinn,incubi,succubi ,demons,different level of entity entirely .

Do you even know what jinns are? You must be thinking about something that comes out of a bottle/lamp and grants you your three wishes. ha ha! its not like that. People in the middle east call shadow demons as jinns and it is a fact. I have been exchanging information with some Arab theologians on that since many years and they have always called these entities black smoke jinns or shayatin or qareen. You can ask someone here who is from middle east or africa and ask them what they call shadow demons. You cannot outright reject something so evident so popular like this. I am not the one who invented this name for them. Also, there is a book by Rosemarry ellen guiley on this subject with this very name: The Vengeful Djinn

But you also need to know that jinn is a very generic term that is used for other astral entities as well.

They aren't even all on the same level .

Of course they aren't on the same level. Didn't I mention that some cultures considered them ghosts and some considered them demons. Some cultures considered them ghosts like "shades" from the underword and some even consider them carriers of souls to otherworld (legions of yamaraja) and some consider them demons. Are demons and ghosts on the same levels? Of course not.

To remind you again, I am not the one who invented these names for them. I just listed the names that people call them (and have been calling them for centuries) in different cultures because you seem to be totally unaware of the fact that shadow demons were discussed and written prior to 90s as well. I just listed the names that people use for these entities because your question was "what were they called before?" so I answered it by listing the names that people have been using for these entities. I am not responsible if these names do not fall on the same level because its the difference in opinions of people across different cultures and not mine... these are not inconsistencies of my own opinion about them because I do not call them with all these names at the same time. Do you understand what I am saying here?

There were no such thing as shadow people in folk lore ,prior to literally the 1990s.

Yes there was no such thing as "shadow people" prior to 90s because this term was not yet invented to dupe the gullible public into believing that something new had happened in the paranormal field. Nothing new had happened. It was just a marketing stunt that media plays all the time.

A high case demon,or succubus ,has never gone around lurking as a black shadow .

I can quote you from this forum itself where people have seen incubi/succubi in the form of black shadowy entities. But honestly I don't think its worth my time to search and quote for you when you have already made up your mind about them without even experiencing them. But if you are interested to know and are willing to keep an open mind then I will quote something for you.

This is something new,someone made up ,and *some* entities fall into the category ,but very low case entities .

I'm just not buying it ,as a concept.

Those who've seen them know what they saw. Those who haven't have every right to disagree. I'm not blaming you, perhaps if I hadn't encountered them I wouldn't believe it either or would have just called them what others called them... astral spirits (a very generic term again).

Simbi, this is for you. Please read this:

Sightings of shadow people have been reported all over the world. They are a recurring topic of the late-night talk radio show Coast-to-Coast AM. The former host of the show, Art Bell, seemingly resurrected the term "shadow people." The term appeared as early as September 21, 1953 as the title of a radio drama that was broadcast on Chicago's WGN-AM "Hall of Fantasy"* series. However, reports of beings fitting the description of shadow people have been recorded for centuries in literature. For example, in 1887, celebrated French author Guy de Maupassant pennned the story "Le Horla" ("The Horla") about shadowy beings who live on milk and water, bedevil human minds, and stalk the unwary.

There is no real evidence that they are demons. Not saying they are angels but we have no real proof. The facts are people from all around the world have seen them. I worked out Americans seem to see them a lot with hats! Europe with no hats but I might be wrong there just going by peoples experience here including my own I am from england the one I saw had no hat. My mum told me a story about my great great grandmother in Ireland seeing one just before she died! she chased it around the house but then I did also hear she was a very hard woman lol. A guy I dated his aunt saw one before she died. Yet the one I saw was years ago same as others who have seen them and we are still here. Some of you guys point out they hide when you sight them others including my self have been touched by one maybe this is proof they have different characters. Maybe they are good and bad maybe they are in between people of good and bad.