Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shadow people

Tarnibritan

There is no real evidence that they are demons. Not saying they are angels but we have no real proof. The facts are people from all around the world have seen them. I worked out Americans seem to see them a lot with hats! Europe with no hats but I might be wrong there just going by peoples experience here including my own I am from england the one I saw had no hat. My mum told me a story about my great great grandmother in Ireland seeing one just before she died! she chased it around the house but then I did also hear she was a very hard woman lol. A guy I dated his aunt saw one before she died. Yet the one I saw was years ago same as others who have seen them and we are still here. Some of you guys point out they hide when you sight them others including my self have been touched by one maybe this is proof they have different characters. Maybe they are good and bad maybe they are in between people of good and bad.

There is no "real" evidence that they are "people" either. ;)

What makes you think that demons do not have different characters? Do you believe that demons do not have free will? When there is free will, there is bound to be different characters. A demon can quit his allegiance to evil and become good. A familiar for a white magician for instance.

My point is, these are not people like "human people". This term is very confusing to new experiencers/researchers when they read it. If someone finds it offending to call these entities demons, then he is free to call them whatever he wishes to call them.

There is no "real" evidence that they are "people" either. ;)

What makes you think that demons do not have different characters? Do you believe that demons do not have free will? When there is free will, there is bound to be different characters. A demon can quit his allegiance to evil and become good. A familiar for a white magician for instance.

My point is, these are not people like "human people". This term is very confusing to new experiencers/researchers when they read it. If someone finds it offending to call these entities demons, then he is free to call them whatever he wishes to call them.

I am not saying they are people or demons or anything! all I am saying is I just go by peoples experience of them. I don't know what they are if I did I would probably see the world

differently how nice would that be? all I am saying is you cant call them demons if u dont know for sure just like I shouldn't call them people.

No,shadow people,from how I understand it,are actual black shadows you see .

The experience I had with a "shadow person" was totally different to seeing a normal everyday black shadow...

And unlike seeing a normal everyday black shadow, the experience I had was a little unnerving, which I have never had with a normal everyday black shadow

When you haven't seen them you cannot disagree with those who have seen them with their own eyes. Unless you quote something from people who have ALWAYS seen them as 2 dimensional shadows on the walls.

Yes they are seen in cemeteries but as 3 dimensional figures not as 2 dimensional shadows on the walls. As I said before they are more like black plasma (3 dimensional black transparent or sometimes full black matter) and have depth to their appearance which 2 dimensional shadows do not. If someone has described them as 2 dimensional black shadows then it could oinly mean that it is their own interpretation or due to a lack of name to call it otherwise. You can confirm this with the posters in this thread itself whether they saw them as 3-dimensional figures or 2 dimensional figures.

I am still unsure whether it was a 2D or 3D figure I saw, could've been a mixture of both, I know for definite that it was not like a normal everyday shadow...

I have never seen a normal everyday shadow walk (I assume it walked due to the way it moved) from one door (stair door) diagonally across the middle of a room through a coffee table to another door (kitchen door)

It was black/dark grey and transparent, with no discernible feature's (face hands' etc) except the outline is the best way I can describe it

Edited by Jackofalltrades
  • Like 1

When you haven't seen them you cannot disagree with those who have seen them with their own eyes. Unless you quote something from people who have ALWAYS seen them as 2 dimensional shadows on the walls.

Yes they are seen in cemeteries but as 3 dimensional figures not as 2 dimensional shadows on the walls. As I said before they are more like black plasma (3 dimensional black transparent or sometimes full black matter) and have depth to their appearance which 2 dimensional shadows do not. If someone has described them as 2 dimensional black shadows then it could oinly mean that it is their own interpretation or due to a lack of name to call it otherwise. You can confirm this with the posters in this thread itself whether they saw them as 3-dimensional figures or 2 dimensional figures.

I will go a step further and say 100% of what I said is not even close to shadows on the wall.

Do you even know what jinns are? You must be thinking about something that comes out of a bottle/lamp and grants you your three wishes. ha ha! its not like that. People in the middle east call shadow demons as jinns and it is a fact. I have been exchanging information with some Arab theologians on that since many years and they have always called these entities black smoke jinns or shayatin or qareen. You can ask someone here who is from middle east or africa and ask them what they call shadow demons. You cannot outright reject something so evident so popular like this. I am not the one who invented this name for them. Also, there is a book by Rosemarry ellen guiley on this subject with this very name: The Vengeful Djinn

But you also need to know that jinn is a very generic term that is used for other astral entities as well.

Of course they aren't on the same level. Didn't I mention that some cultures considered them ghosts and some considered them demons. Some cultures considered them ghosts like "shades" from the underword and some even consider them carriers of souls to otherworld (legions of yamaraja) and some consider them demons. Are demons and ghosts on the same levels? Of course not.

To remind you again, I am not the one who invented these names for them. I just listed the names that people call them (and have been calling them for centuries) in different cultures because you seem to be totally unaware of the fact that shadow demons were discussed and written prior to 90s as well. I just listed the names that people use for these entities because your question was "what were they called before?" so I answered it by listing the names that people have been using for these entities. I am not responsible if these names do not fall on the same level because its the difference in opinions of people across different cultures and not mine... these are not inconsistencies of my own opinion about them because I do not call them with all these names at the same time. Do you understand what I am saying here?

Yes there was no such thing as "shadow people" prior to 90s because this term was not yet invented to dupe the gullible public into believing that something new had happened in the paranormal field. Nothing new had happened. It was just a marketing stunt that media plays all the time.

I can quote you from this forum itself where people have seen incubi/succubi in the form of black shadowy entities. But honestly I don't think its worth my time to search and quote for you when you have already made up your mind about them without even experiencing them. But if you are interested to know and are willing to keep an open mind then I will quote something for you.

Those who've seen them know what they saw. Those who haven't have every right to disagree. I'm not blaming you, perhaps if I hadn't encountered them I wouldn't believe it either or would have just called them what others called them... astral spirits (a very generic term again).

Do I know what djinn are ?

Ummmmm,I can SEE ghosts ,spirits and demons ,since I'm a kid,and I've never seen a shadow anything . Djinn are alleged to be demons by

the Islamic community .You're kidding ,right ?

Succubi and incubi are STRICTLY SEXUAL entities,demonic in nature,so no,they never run around as shadows on a wall .

You want me to go thru the entire list ? As I can,quite easily .None of them qualify for what shadow people are alleged to be.

Most of them are very different entities .

Shadow people ,is a modern term ,used to define something else,that seem to be spirits that merely flit in and out of the picture . I've never seen this phenom ,despite having over 30 years in the paranormal field.

I'm not saying this alleged entity does not exist ,but its just something else renamed,and sensationalized .This term didn't even exist 15 years ago,as far as I can recall .

• Like 1

I am not saying they are people or demons or anything! all I am saying is I just go by peoples experience of them. I don't know what they are if I did I would probably see the world

differently how nice would that be? all I am saying is you cant call them demons if u dont know for sure just like I shouldn't call them people.

No, I know for sure what they are but I cannot convince others what they are. I have evidence that I cannot deny... my own experiences with them for many years both in physical and astral realms including my communications with them (some people may call me mad for claiming this but I did communicate telepathically with them for many days). But do my experiences have any proof for others? No. So you are free to call them whatever you wish to call them.

If someone experiences them over and over gain, it is possible that he will figure out eventually what they are although he cannot prove to to others what they really are.

No, I know for sure what they are but I cannot convince others what they are. I have evidence that I cannot deny... my own experiences with them for many years both in physical and astral realms including my communications with them (some people may call me mad for claiming this but I did communicate telepathically with them for many days). But do my experiences have any proof for others? No. So you are free to call them whatever you wish to call them.

If someone experiences them over and over gain, it is possible that he will figure out eventually what they are although he cannot prove to to others what they really are.

And you could be right. I will not doubt you its just so many people have had different experience with them so for me its hard to judge if they are good or bad.

• Like 1

Do I know what djinn are ?

Ummmmm,I can SEE ghosts ,spirits and demons ,since I'm a kid,and I've never seen a shadow anything . Djinn are alleged to be demons by

the Islamic community .You're kidding ,right ?

Succubi and incubi are STRICTLY SEXUAL entities,demonic in nature,so no,they never run around as shadows on a wall .

You want me to go thru the entire list ? As I can,quite easily .None of them qualify for what shadow people are alleged to be.

Most of them are very different entities .

Shadow people ,is a modern term ,used to define something else,that seem to be spirits that merely flit in and out of the picture . I've never seen this phenom ,despite having over 30 years in the paranormal field.

I'm not saying this alleged entity does not exist ,but its just something else renamed,and sensationalized .This term didn't even exist 15 years ago,as far as I can recall .

Did you read the links I gave you? Shadow demons are called jinns in the middle east. How can you deny something so evident. Why are you even arguing over this is beyond me! Ask anyone from the middle east and he will tell you what they call these dark figures there. How can somone argue over a fact such as this!

Am I to blame if the entities named in the list do not qualify for what shadow demons are alleged to be? I have already explained you this. You asked a general question what they were called before and I quoted the names. I did not name them with these words.

And you are totally wrong about incubi/succubi. I can quote from this forum itself.

This is how the OP of "spirit relationships" thread described his succubi:

I noticed a rotating, revolving or churning gray cloud or mist the size of a beach ball near the ceiling. Looking at it saw nothing but clearly there in the peripheral. It wasn't scary so I lay there for maybe 20 minutes wondering what that is, when a 2nd shadow or something move very slowly then scoot and vanish on the other side of the room. It wasn't scary, but was wondering what the heck that might be.

in the same thread another experiencer posted:

three shadow type ghosts have been abusing me for six months. i have tried everything but nothing seems to stop them. i don't know what to do. i'm not crazy i'm not dreaming or imagining things.

And there are many such posts in this forum scattered in different threads. And if you look in other websites you will find countless accounts with similar descriptions.

Too bad you've alreday made up your mind else we could take this discussion further but when people are just arguing for the sake arguing what is the point in discussing anything.

All I can say is that you are lucky you didn't encounter them so thank God for that. Lets end this discussion here. Cheers.

Edited by XingWi

And you could be right. I will not doubt you its just so many people have had different experience with them so for me its hard to judge if they are good or bad.

Yes I can understand.your stance :)

The experience I had with a "shadow person" was totally different to seeing a normal everyday black shadow...

And unlike seeing a normal everyday black shadow, the experience I had was a little unnerving, which I have never had with a normal everyday black shadow

I am still unsure whether it was a 2D or 3D figure I saw, could've been a mixture of both, I know for definite that it was not like a normal everyday shadow...

I have never seen a normal everyday shadow walk (I assume it walked due to the way it moved) from one door (stair door) diagonally across the middle of a room through a coffee table to another door (kitchen door)

It was black/dark grey and transparent, with no discernible feature's (face hands' etc) except the outline is the best way I can describe it

I have seen them countless times and they never looked like actual shadows to me either.

Edited by XingWi

Thought I would throw my experience in on this one. I never heard them referred to as "Shadow People" until I had read a few on-line articles. Growing up, I lived in a haunted house for a short-while (I didn't see them there, but just for frame of reference..I've had experiences.). I would describe them to my dad when I was younger as, dark things that are blacker than the dark itself. They were usually human in shape, but not always fully formed. Sometimes there would be just a head coming out from a wall, or an upper torso hanging from the ceiling. I have seen them since I was around 7 years old. I have never seen them outside in the daylight, but my brother has-once- and today he refuses to talk about it (I'm 29, he's 4 years younger). My wife has seen them when with me at my old house, I am able to point them out. In none of these cases was I drinking, using drugs, sleeping, or lucid dreaming (I do reality checks and am very familiar with Sleep Paralysis and dream-states). It has happened with other people in the room. I believe, along with my dad, that they are people Astral Projecting, or they are Astral Scouts, possibly other dimensions mirroring at the right time. They aren't really "shadows" as others have said. I have been "tuned in" to things like this since I was young, and have always meditated. My dad has experience being OOB, and is also very in tune with whatever is out there.

I have had other things go on as well, but ever since I moved into my new house 5 months ago, I have not seen them, not that I'm complaining. :tu:

• Like 1

Well I would think they like to hang out and just watch or do their thing. I saw one during the day and it was completely black as in cavern black. The edge was not fuzzy it was sharp. You couldn't see behind it and it was obviously in space because there was nothing behind it.

The place where I live is way more peaceful. But once you see one very clearly, sometimes you look back and can't even believe your eyes.

Like one poster said above as some people see them or some people want to see them to believe. The best thing to have is a peacefull house, because seeing them is quite traumatizing.

Well I would think they like to hang out and just watch or do their thing. I saw one during the day and it was completely black as in cavern black. The edge was not fuzzy it was sharp. You couldn't see behind it and it was obviously in space because there was nothing behind it.

The place where I live is way more peaceful. But once you see one very clearly, sometimes you look back and can't even believe your eyes.

Like one poster said above as some people see them or some people want to see them to believe. The best thing to have is a peacefull house, because seeing them is quite traumatizing.

Yes. Very sharp edges. I do remember the incident with my brother. We were riding our bikes in circles around the house (trying to race each other, usual kid stuff) and he suddenly dumped his bike going around a corner of the house. He got up and ran in the house. I ran in to ask him if he was OK and he said he wouldn't go back outside. He said he came around the corner and there was a black Grim Reaper in his way, all black, no features, and so he hit his brakes and dumped the bike to avoid him, he said the (Reaper) turned his head and then walked into the side of the house. I assume he associated it with a Grim Reaper because we were kids and he didn't know how else to relate/describe it to me. He won't talk about it now, but I know he remembers it.

• Like 1

I Wonder if animals see the shadow people? Has anyone had pets at the time of seeing a shadow figure? If so did they act differently?

I know my dog did not like to sleep in my room. Alternatively, I had to get a new doorknob because he would try to bust in at night at random times...I'd like to think to protect me, but who knows. I do think animals are far more aware than we are. Sometimes I wonder if they are telepathic and playing dumb so we have to feed/care for/pick up after them, laughing all the while, :yes: .

• Like 1

Urban_monkey_one your dog sounded like he was protecting you :)

My two cats always sleep on me one at a time they seem to take turns each lol

But sometimes they have there funny moments when they act strange makes me wonder if they can sense something else with us! Sometimes think the shadow man I saw will return so maybe sometimes my cats sense this from me. Perhaps.

I think he was too. Sadly he passed a few years ago, but we blessed our new home with two dogs, and as I said I haven't seen anything here yet..so maybe the shadow people don't like Huskies!

• Like 1

An interesting take of the shadow people phenomenon:

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4175

The conclusion:

These experiences are weird, and can be scary. But they're also fascinating, once-in-a-lifetime opportunities to experience the true power of your brain. To conclude that it's a supernatural being is to rob yourself of the real wonder of what's probably happening. Faith in the supernatural offers you nothing better than an implausible and ignorant supposition that stifles further understanding, while the willingness to accept science gives you a whole universe without limits.

I agree with the opposite of what you are saying...

This argument continues to be presented. I believe to reject what you have seen and to pretend that the supernatural does not exist, robs you of your natural brain... We have eyes, we can see... If we saw a shadow person, just like all these other people have seen, that is what we've seen! Yes, there is a supernatural world. It is NOT unscientific, just speculative (visual). ;)

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 1

I Wonder if animals see the shadow people? Has anyone had pets at the time of seeing a shadow figure? If so did they act differently?

What a good point :yes: I have heard on numerous occasions that animals and children are more susceptible to seeing paranormal things.

• Like 1

That's very true, they are not well versed or experienced or concerned too much with how we are taught and somewhat forced to see the world and its meaning as we grow and are put through society to fit in nice little boxes and files, they're not too attached to consensus reality as such, so it isn't surprising that they are known to interact and 'see' more behind the world the human race has created.

This can be confused with imaginary friends that children often create but then again, on some occasions, how can a child tell the difference, or the parent? It is intriguing. I used to interact with a spirit which I believe to be my grandfather who died before he really knew me and my sister. He would appear above our bed sometimes and open and close the cupboards, as a wispy light and faint form. My sister would casually announce that 'Grandad is here'. I still remember it even though it is well over twenty years ago and I recall much imagining shenanigans separate from those kinda more intimate experiences.

It was just perceived as perfectly 'normal' and another segment of the exciting event of being alive and fresh to the wonders of life and not the trivial adult existence lying somewhere ahead, perfectly cohesive until you see how the world is divided for you as you mature. I think adults are very distracted, we have to be to not submerge and end up in a bad place, that's taken care of (mostly) when you're young, very free from walls and boundaries. so it makes sense to me.

Edited by DancingCorpse
  • Like 1

I am certain I experienced a shadow person a few days ago, for the first time ever.

It was a few days before Halloween and I was home from uni to attend my friends pre halloween party. As there was not enough room for us all to stay me and a friend decided to get a taxi home around 3 in the morning. I got out out of the taxi at my friends house who lives across the road. It was dark and no one was around so I ran home because it was so cold. I have a really long, steep driveway that I have to run up to get to my door. I let myself in the front door, which leads into a porch. I then have to use a separate house key to open the second door.

As I locked the first door and took my shoes off, i put my key in the second door to open it however someone had left their keys in the other side of the door so I couldn't get in. I grabbed my phone out of my bag and began calling my dad to let me in. As the phone was ringing I turned round and as I did a dark figure ran past the window of the porch. It moved so fast but I am certain it was a person, although I couldn't properly make them out because it was dark and they moved so fast. I started to freak out, why would someone run up my drive at half 3 in the morning?? At first I thought it was my friend running after me as maybe I had left something behind when we got out of the taxi but as I waited for her to appear at the door she didn't. I looked outside and couldn't see anyone but my heart was racing and by this point I was hammering on the door and shouting for my dad.

I told him what I had seen and he went outside for a closer look, only to find no one was there. There was nowhere for anyone to hide or go at the end of my drive and I know for a fact alcohol had nothing to do with it as I was working the next day so didn't have much to drink. It scared me to death and it's safe to say I'll always be a little nervous when it comes to going up my drive in the dark alone!!!

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone would be able to enlighten me a little on the topic of shadow people?

Are they ghosts trying to take another form or possibly something else entirely. I guess im just curious as the most recent ive seen one was a few weeks ago-where i live, I saw a tall shadow of a person walk out of the katchen-turn to look at me and then walk out the front door :blush:

The first time was years ago at my Grandmothers house when i thought i saw my sister walk into the laundry and i went to go and talk to her, but no-one was there, they tend to move so quick and i find them quite alarming.

Any opinions are welcome as to what you think they might be (or your own personal encounters)

Thanks Tarni

What you saw more than likely was the dead.

Psalms 23: Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me: thy rod and thy staff comfort me.

That's an interesting tale littlemonster, we often see the bizarre side of life when we least expect it, of course it is possible it was a person, trick of light, animal etc and also possible it was a spirit or shadow person. Any reason why it could have been the latter options? Maybe something interesting happened within the land of the house or perhaps a certain emotion was drawing energy.

I just registered to tell me my story and see if it has any relevance to the previous posts......

Im now 20 years of age but all throughout my entire childhood (kindergarten right up to end of primary school and middle of secondary school)

I had the same type of dreams ive researched it before but couldn't find anything till today!

The dreams i would have would be the same, I would dream that I would wake up, i'd be laying in bed and peak over my blankets and see full bodied white people figures, several of then completely white no face no hair anything just people figured completely white. They would all be kinda hanging from the ceiling/wall right round my bedroom all facing me, they moved real slow around the ceiling/wall at a time there would be up to 10 to 15 and sometimes more, when there was alot more like 20 or 30 they would stand around my bed and just stand there. At times they would pat my head when I hid under the blankets thats when I would wake up.

I had these for more than ten years always the same, during that time i had moved to different houses but still had the same dreams just in different bedrooms.

It freaked me the hell out when i was young as i got older i would expect to have the dream so i would be pre pared and when i had them i would tell to basically leave me alone.

i reckon they stopped around 17 or 16 im now 20 so its been about 3 years since ive had those dreams.,

That's an interesting tale littlemonster, we often see the bizarre side of life when we least expect it, of course it is possible it was a person, trick of light, animal etc and also possible it was a spirit or shadow person. Any reason why it could have been the latter options? Maybe something interesting happened within the land of the house or perhaps a certain emotion was drawing energy.

It definitely appeared more human like than an animal from what I remember and it was so vivid I doubt it was a trick of the light. I genuinely thought at first it was my friend running after me but when I looked no one was there. As for something interesting happening within the land of the house, I've heard there used to be a mine near by as my old neighbour once saw the ghost of an old miner in her bedroom, but I've never experienced anything. I'ts quite weird how I've never experienced anything paranormal until recently as i've experienced a few unexplainable things within the past few months.

As well as the shadow person I thought I saw, bizarre things keep happening in my uni house. Things turn themselves on and off, switches flicker on and off and locked doors mysteriously open. Also another quick freaky story, I went to the toilet in a bar the other night and I was the only person in there. As I sat down I heard the laugh of a child, so clear and then a creaking sound. I pretty much ran out of the toilets. Could have been coming from the speakers, but I doubt it. Would be a strange thing to play in the toilets and It sounded so close to me... weird.