Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit'

Still Waters

Smoking in the car, even with the windows open or the air conditioning on, creates pollution that exceeds official "safe" limits, scientists say.

Any child sitting in the back of a car when someone in the front is smoking would be exposed to this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-19946656

this is just a universal war those non-smokers are waging on us :D

they keep coming on with these discoveries !!!

• Like 1

It's been illegal in my province of Canada to smoke in a car with children in it for quite a while now.

Smoking is also banned in all restaurants, bars, shopping malls, airports and most publicly owned outdoor areas like beaches, parks and even within 10 meters of a bus stop... there's quite a list. Hospitals, you can't even smoke on their outdoor property.

It's getting to the point where behind some bushes on your own property is the only way to do it.

Edited by synchronomy
  • Like 1

that's aweful !!!!!

smokers need to stick a finger to these laws and start acting up to those ridiciolus laws !!!

restart revolution !

that's aweful !!!!!

smokers need to stick a finger to these laws and start acting up to those ridiciolus laws !!!

restart revolution !

It's been decided here that smoker's have zero rights. Step by step it's progressing towards being made illegal.

• Like 2

It's been decided here that smoker's have zero rights. Step by step it's progressing towards being made illegal.

It's slowly getting that way here in NY State as well. They are slowly taking away citizens' rights altogether. Mayor Mike Bloomberg is now waging a war on soda drinkers in NY City. http://www.examiner.com/article/nyc-board-of-health-approves-ban-on-sale-of-supersized-sugary-sodas

I do have to say that smoking in a car with children is something I frown upon myself.

Well, if it's the logical truth, just don't do it. Usually, I never smoke in the car, only outside my house or work.

It's slowly getting that way here in NY State as well. They are slowly taking away citizens' rights altogether. Mayor Mike Bloomberg is now waging a war on soda drinkers in NY City. http://www.examiner....ed-sugary-sodas

I do have to say that smoking in a car with children is something I frown upon myself.

Not only soda drinkers but formula feeders too.

Edited by FurthurBB
  • Like 1

it's just some stupid people in power forcing what " they think " is suitable on majority of all people

they tried to ban smokes from resturants and cars and all here and public places , shops etc

although the law is vaild and still there EVERY ONE smokes in public places

these types of law needs a boot on the butt of people who's making them to knock some sense into them

smokers are here to stay :D

now where is that damn lighter

Edited by Knight Of Shadows

it's just some stupid people in power forcing what " they think " is suitable on majority of all people

they tried to ban smokes from resturants and cars and all here and public places , shops etc

these types of law needs a boot on the butt of people who's making them to knock some sense into them

smokers are here to stay :D

now where is that damn lighter

Ever hear of second hand smoke? Cigarettes and the smoke they give off are just disgusting! Non-smokers have rights too!

I have a right to not have to breath in someone else's smoke! How about I come over and spend some time farting in your general direction and see how long you like it? You just might start clamoring for rights to stop me from doing that, but that would just make you a hypocrite.....

How about I come over and spend some time farting in your general direction and see how long you like it?

monty.jpg

• Like 2

I love when non-smokers angrily inform me in public that smoking is bad for my health. And I always enjoy putting on my "oh my gawd, really?" face. Please worry about those quarter pounders and diet cokes you scarf down every day and let me worry about my health thank you.

• Like 1

Ever hear of second hand smoke? Cigarettes and the smoke they give off are just disgusting! Non-smokers have rights too!

I have a right to not have to breath in someone else's smoke! How about I come over and spend some time farting in your general direction and see how long you like it? You just might start clamoring for rights to stop me from doing that, but that would just make you a hypocrite.....

Well you breathe in the carbon monoxide from my car, right. And I'm sure you've farted in public, right. And I'm sure you've smelled someones perfume you didn't like, right. Well its called being in public so deal with it or stay home.

• Like 2

They are slowly taking away citizens' rights altogether.

They're protecting the peoples' rights to enjoy a healthier public environment. When you smoke in public places, you harm others' health and thereby infringe upon their rights. When you drink and drive, you risk harming others as well as yourself. Laws which restrict individual liberties for the common good are part of what make any society function, and are necessary for promoting public health. Health burdens from chronic disease caused by smoking, poor eating habits, etc., go past the individual level; they affect society economically in terms of healthcare costs and lost productivity.

Regarding the article itself...I think that if people want to risk their health by smoking in the privacy of their own home, they're entitled to do that, but once they have children who are powerless and can't make decisions for themselves, they should realize that something greater than their own health and "individual liberty" is at stake. They should try to do what is best for the child.

Edited by Cybele

monty.jpg

Hilarious!

I was googling that exact picture and came back to see it's already here.

Edited by synchronomy
  • Like 1

Well you breathe in the carbon monoxide from my car, right.

Only because the automotive industry has been too slow to design and produce non fossil fuel vehicles! Oil is big business and they don't want their profits diminishing!

And I'm sure you've farted in public, right.

Yes, but not in a confined space or in close contact with someone!

And I'm sure you've smelled someones perfume you didn't like, right.

As well as men's cologne. I usually take a step or two away from the people that almost bathe in the stuff!

Well its called being in public so deal with it or stay home.

I have a right to be in public and to not have to deal with somebodies foul smoking habits and the smoke they produce. The laws are changing in favor of people like me so why don't you just deal with it!

It's been illegal in my province of Canada to smoke in a car with children in it for quite a while now.

Smoking is also banned in all restaurants, bars, shopping malls, airports and most publicly owned outdoor areas like beaches, parks and even within 10 meters of a bus stop... there's quite a list. Hospitals, you can't even smoke on their outdoor property.

It's getting to the point where behind some bushes on your own property is the only way to do it.

it's just common sense not to smoke in the car when children are present, but yes it's been implemented as law here in BC for a long time now too.

it's been so long since you could smoke anywhere in public that i find it odd to see the occasional 'no smoking' sign.

sometimes you'll see a 'welcome to my smoke free office' sign...i think duh you are in a nonsmoking building. why would your office be any different?? it's just pompous if you ask me.

I love when non-smokers angrily inform me in public that smoking is bad for my health. And I always enjoy putting on my "oh my gawd, really?" face. Please worry about those quarter pounders and diet cokes you scarf down every day and let me worry about my health thank you.

I can tell you that I've never angrily informed anyone that smoking is bad for their health...it's pretty much common knowledge, so why bother? If you want to smoke, fine, just don't do it in front of non smokers that don't want to be on the receiving end of your pollution.

Quarter Pounders and diet Cokes? Change the subject much?

I can tell you that I've never angrily informed anyone that smoking is bad for their health...it's pretty much common knowledge, so why bother? If you want to smoke, fine, just don't do it in front of non smokers that don't want to be on the receiving end of your pollution.

Quarter Pounders and diet Cokes? Change the subject much?

perhaps you have never personally done that but let me tell you from experience that it happens all the time. not only do people feel the need to inform you of your health, they criticize how you look standing out there in the middle of nowhere - you know, the exposed place that smokers are forced to congregate...if they even bother to have a smoking area available - and will often make a big show of giving you a wide berth and then shooting you a dirty look for making them do it.

i rarely smoke in public, and when i do i take extra care to keep a distance from other people and i never leave a cigarette butt on the ground. (that is a necessary habit to get into here in bc, because forest fires are well ,you know, a big deal here lol)

i think the point about the quarter pounder etc is to demonstrate the hypocrisy of many individuals who would dictate to another what they should do with their own bodies

Edited by JGirl
  • Like 3

perhaps you have never personally done that but let me tell you from experience that it happens all the time. not only do people feel the need to inform you of your health, they criticize how you look standing out there in the middle of nowhere - you know, the exposed place that smokers are forced to congregate...if they even bother to have a smoking area available - and will often make a big show of giving you a wide berth and then shooting you a dirty look for making them do it.

i rarely smoke in public, and when i do i take extra care to keep a distance from other people and i never leave a cigarette butt on the ground. (that is a necessary habit to get into here in bc, because forest fires are well ,you know, a big deal here lol)

i think the point about the quarter pounder etc is to demonstrate the hypocrisy of many individuals who would dictate to another what they should do with their own bodies

Yes, some people do do that, and it is something that I would not only frown upon, but I would actually say something to the "I know what's better for you than you do" crowd.

People do have a right to smoke......that's not my gripe......but cigarette smokers right to smoke ends when their smoke permeates the air surrounding non-smokers!

Yes, some people do do that, and it is something that I would not only frown upon, but I would actually say something to the "I know what's better for you than you do" crowd.

People do have a right to smoke......that's not my gripe......but cigarette smokers right to smoke ends when their smoke permeates the air surrounding non-smokers!

yes i would agree with that.

it's really about respect, not about smokers vs nonsmokers, but unfortunately that is what the focus is on. if i am aware that someone near me is aware of my smoke i move or put it out. if i am at a bus stop i do not smoke if there is someone else there (unless they are smoking)

it's just a matter of respect.

the same respect should be applied to those who wear scents in public places. i am extremely sensitive to perfume and will get a migraine if exposed to it for any length of time. yet, i will go out to dinner and be inundated with five or six different smells from those around me all competing with the smell and taste of my food.

this is far more offensive to me than a waft of smoke yet i have no right to say a damned thing.

yes i would agree with that.

it's really about respect, not about smokers vs nonsmokers, but unfortunately that is what the focus is on. if i am aware that someone near me is aware of my smoke i move or put it out. if i am at a bus stop i do not smoke if there is someone else there (unless they are smoking)

it's just a matter of respect.

the same respect should be applied to those who wear scents in public places. i am extremely sensitive to perfume and will get a migraine if exposed to it for any length of time. yet, i will go out to dinner and be inundated with five or six different smells from those around me all competing with the smell and taste of my food.

this is far more offensive to me than a waft of smoke yet i have no right to say a damned thing.

I know of at least one hospital in my area with a sign on the door relating to fragrances and their nauseating effect on sick people. It's worded very nicely but it essentially translates to "If you stink-keep out!"

Edited by synchronomy
  • Like 1

"I have a right to be in public and to not have to deal with somebodies foul smoking habits and the smoke they produce. The laws are changing in favor of people like me so why don't you just deal with it!" Euporbia

If being in public was free from all the "foul" habits of this society and no one was every offended by other people, in wouldn't be public anymore would it. So, yes, you do have to deal with it.

And I do deal with it, intolerent hippocrites like you, on a daily basis.

Edited by praetorian-legio XIII

"I have a right to be in public and to not have to deal with somebodies foul smoking habits and the smoke they produce. The laws are changing in favor of people like me so why don't you just deal with it!" Euporbia

If being in public was free from all the "foul" habits of this society and no one was every offended by other people, in wouldn't be public anymore would it. So, yes, you do have to deal with it.

And I do deal with it, intolerent hippocrites like you, on a daily basis.

Such great manners.....did I pluck a nerve? :yes:

This thread isn't about "all of the foul habits of this society", it's about smoking and it's effects on non-smokers.

I have generally found that name calling is something resorted to by people that have nothing relevant to say..... :passifier:

My dad always smoked in the house and car. We weren't allowed to open the windows in the winter because we were letting the heat out....so now 3 out of the 4 kids in the family has asthma and that 1 smokes. I did actually say something to a smoker one day. We were getting seats for the fireworks for Canada Day. My sister and I had our three children all set up with snacks and drinks....and this old man comes to sit right beside us and starts smoking. We don't smoke, we keep our kids away from smoking. He could have moved anywhere else rather than upwind of us. So, yeah, I said something. His wife got all embarrassed, but, he said he refused to move because he had that right to smoke out in the air. Well, after a bit of bickering, he finally left. We were there first....just have some courtesy and common sense when dealing with others and there won't be people glaring at you if you are a smoker.