Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit'

Still Waters

The US and EU gives billions in subsidies to tobacco companies, and a bunch of the cash is used for anti-smoking research and anti-smoking "ad" production. I think that even if smoking was banned outright, they would still keep getting government payments. It's a win-win scenario for the tobacco companies-they keep growing the stuff, and the government pays them to tell people not to use it. How about if the government would just buy them out and shut them down? As Barney Fife says: "You gotta nip it! Nip it in the bud"!

Smokers and non-smokers are so impolite to each other.

lol, so true. If people could be as outspoken in other aspects of life, maybe there could be some solutions to a lot of problems in society...or else a lot more brawls lol

Such great manners.....did I pluck a nerve? :yes:

This thread isn't about "all of the foul habits of this society", it's about smoking and it's effects on non-smokers.

I have generally found that name calling is something resorted to by people that have nothing relevant to say..... :passifier:

Your right, and I apologize to you and all the members on this thread. I did indeed digress and resort to name calling. I just have a hard time with whinning little snivlers and I realize now that unlike non-smokers, I should be even more tolerate of their right to believe that how they feel about something is the way we all should feel about it. Again my apologees.

So back to the topic at hand, I would absolutly agree that smoking around children, especially in a car, is never a good idea.

Edited by praetorian-legio XIII

Your right, and I apologize to you and all the members on this thread. I did indeed digress and resort to name calling. I just have a hard time with whinning little snivlers and I realize now that unlike non-smokers, I should be even more tolerate of their right to believe that how they feel about something is the way we all should feel about it. Again my apologees.

It's a touchy subject. It is my right to have smoke free air because I choose not to smoke. But, it is your choice to smoke, so where can you? I get it. That is why both sides need to have some courtesy. If you see kids playing outside, don't go and light up near them. At the same token, there should be smoke areas for those who choose to smoke.

• Like 2

Secondhand Smoke in Cars, Bars Impairs Breathing Within 20 Minutes

ScienceDaily (Oct. 22, 2012) — Heavy concentrations of secondhand smoke, such as those found in smoke-filled bars and cars, can lead to airway restriction for bystanders within minutes of exposure. The study, presented at CHEST 2012, the annual meeting of the American College of Chest Physicians, showed that after 20 minutes of exposure to highly concentrated secondhand smoke, participants experienced near immediate physiologic changes, including airway resistance and impedance.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121022080921.htm

• Like 1

Secondhand Smoke in Cars, Bars Impairs Breathing Within 20 Minutes

http://www.scienceda...21022080921.htm

The article posted above is worth the read..

I am a long time smoker... BUT I hate second hand smoke ( Ironic I know )

I have sat next to people when I was not smoking, and when they were puffing away on their cigarettes, the smoke made my eyes sting and it was worse to breath in more than inhaling from a cigarette myself.. I do not know why that is..but it did seem worse

I cannot stand smoking in closed areas, I prefer to smoke outside in private away from everyone and I am well used to it...

I have two small children...I have a 7 year old girl and a 5 month old baby boy...I cannot allow them to be exposed to my smoke, or my husbands for that matter ...

I do not think it is fair to smoke around anyone who is a non smoker, more so my kids.. it is not something I can do...not even in my car.. My kids are usually in our car, and they can never breath that in..I can't allow it...... Nor would it be right to offer someone a lift and allow them to smell the smoke and breath it in... I would feel terrible

I was raised in a very clean home, and my dad smoked, but he never would smoke indoors .. Our home never smelled of smoke...ever ..Well the odd time when I burned toast lol

My point here is.. as a smoker, I made the choice myself.. So I do not feel I have a right to force anyone to breath in my smoke...it is not their choice, and who am I to upset and make them feel sick with my smoke?

I don't mind going out to a pub or club that is smoke free.. .I found I can enjoy myself all night long without a smoke.....If I wanted one, I could pop outside with the other smokers away from the non smokers..

In the winter time, if it is really cold outside.. I would do without...lol

What I cannot stand is how some non smokers will chant abuse and hate at anyone who is a smoker.. I do not see how spouting hate and dogs abuse, looking down on others is going to make it OK... But people are idiots.. and that will never change ... If you are near someone who is smoking..walk away from them, they are not forcing you to stand there and inhale...

Edited by Beckys_Mom

When i did smoke It was always outside. Only in my truck when I was alone. Smokers have no rights and should have.

When i did smoke It was always outside. Only in my truck when I was alone. Smokers have no rights and should have.

I believe they should have rights . .Like to smoke on their own property.. whether it is their car or home.. It is their right.. Even though I don't do it, I still feel they have that right.. Just like I feel non smokers have many rights too.

It would be pointless to be biased over this

Speaking as a smoker here, anyone who smokes in a car with a child in the backseat is a goddamn idiot.

I'm all for smokers rights (Thank God I don't live in California) but you should NEVER smoke around a child. EVER. It's not just the health aspect, it's that children imitate pretty much everything they see their peers doing.

• Like 1

Speaking as a smoker here, anyone who smokes in a car with a child in the backseat is a goddamn idiot.

I'm all for smokers rights (Thank God I don't live in California) but you should NEVER smoke around a child. EVER. It's not just the health aspect, it's that children imitate pretty much everything they see their peers doing.

Hey now......California is a beautiful state and it's where I was born and raised and where I still live!

Other than that, your spot on.....

What should be done is to split smokers and non-smokers. Just because you do this, you are not allowed here and here is like an racial thing, but not exactly in the same sense. By telling them they are not welcomed here or here is liked telling another color that he is not welcomed here or here. Some places are outright banning people from establishments because they are smokers. I have even ran into places that ask specifically if you are a smoker, if you check yes, then you are asked to leave. It is getting quite bad to be honest. While trying to uphold the rights of non-smokers, they are trampling all over the rights of smokers.

A while back I turned down a very attractive girl as soon I found out she was a smoker. I just couldn't understand why she would willingly want to burn out her own lungs, prematurely wrinkle her beautiful skin, clog her arteries, and damage her heart at the same time. Was really disappointed, just couldn't get past it though.

Edited by WoIverine