Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rats 'resistant to poison'

Still Waters

An increasing number of rats in areas of the west of England are mutating to become more resistant to commonly sold poisons, a university study has found.

Scientists at Huddersfield University said about 75% of rats in Bristol, Gloucestershire and Wiltshire had built up a resistance.

The most serious mutations have affected rats in Bath and Wiltshire.

Experts have blamed the rise on the incorrect use of poisons where dosages which are too low have been used.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-19974261

I think bugs do the same thing. It makes sense. Repeated exposure ,makes them adapt ,so they do not die.

As I said, there is a little something called evolution. Guess somebody will have to tell their cats: "If you don't bring a dead rat/mouse home you can't have any Sheba!"

Rats are incredible creatures. It's a shame that we create situations that make them become a problem.

Rat poisons are repulsive things. Completely inhumane taking days or longer to kill the rat by massive internal bleeding. A poisoned Rat is a sorry site indeed.

But Rats are survivors, they are resourceful and intelligent. They'll be around long after we've wiped ourselves out.

I was watching one yesterday climbing a tree to get to a bird feeder then hanging upside down to get nuts out.

Have to admire them.

• Like 1