Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Hidden Price of Food from China

questionmark

In recent years, China has become a major food supplier to Europe. But the low-cost goods are grown in an environment rife with pesticides and antibiotics, disproportionately cited for contamination and subject to an inspection regime full of holes. A recent norovirus outbreak in Germany has only heightened worries.

Qufu, the city in China's southwestern Shandong Province where Confucius was born, isn't exactly an attractive place. But its fields are as good as gold. A few weeks ago, a shipment of strawberries left those fields bound for Germany.

The air above the cities of the Chinese heartland is blackened with smog, as trucks barrel along freshly paved roads carrying loads of coal from the mines or iron girders from the region's smelters. Fields stretch to the horizon, producing food to feed the world's most populous country.

Read more

There was an article a year or so ago in the Syracuse, NY, paper about how local apple farmers are worried about apple imports from China. Now, New York is, I believe, the second largest apple producer after Washington in the United States. Why anyone in New York would consider buying apples from another state, much less another country is beyond me.

Not to mention, it kind of boggles the mind to think that one could purchase apples that were grown in China and shipped to New York and that those apples would be cheaper than the ones grown literally down the road.

There was an article a year or so ago in the Syracuse, NY, paper about how local apple farmers are worried about apple imports from China. Now, New York is, I believe, the second largest apple producer after Washington in the United States. Why anyone in New York would consider buying apples from another state, much less another country is beyond me.

Not to mention, it kind of boggles the mind to think that one could purchase apples that were grown in China and shipped to New York and that those apples would be cheaper than the ones grown literally down the road.

That is quite easy, a Chinese worker works for 1/50th of the money of an illegal emigrant, that is why.

I don't eat food from China or some other countries if I can help it. They can use pesticides and antibiotics we can't here. If it is canned what are the materials the can is made out of. What about bacteria or preservatives they are sprayed with, better wash them apples well.

avoid chinese products at all costs if you care about the west's survival. it truly is us vs them....i choose us.

• Like 1

I worry about using make up made in China. Some of the big companies are having it made there.