Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ball Lightening

alibongo

One evening, while watching TV,my wife and I both saw two white spheres slowly move through our living room and disappear into a wall.They were about the size of grapefruit, glowing, silent, about two feet above the floor,a few inches apart.They did not emerge from any electric socket or disappear into one( for some reason I thought they might be electrical in origin).They did the same thing two days later.Our dog was in the room at the same time and did not appear to notice them.We both looked at each other in amazement as this phenomena occured.If they had appeared a third time, I think I might have touched one, just to see what happened.They did not appear "spooky", just very strange.Has anyone any idea what this was- I thought it might be ball lightning.My wife and I are both down to earth realists and sceptics.The weather was calm and fine.

Edited by alibongo

Hi! Go to Science and Space, then Science and Technology, then the topic: 'Study Explains the Mystery of Ball Lightning'. :)

Hi! Go to Science and Space, then Science and Technology, then the topic: 'Study Explains the Mystery of Ball Lightning'. :)

Thanks, I have had a quick look.What would have happened if I had touched one of the spheres,do you think? Nothing?

Hmm, I don't know. You might have got an electric shock, I suppose, but goodness knows how strong that would be.

I found it interesting that your dog took no notice of it.

• Like 1

Hmm, I don't know. You might have got an electric shock, I suppose, but goodness knows how strong that would be.

Yeah, I mentioned the dog because she is as neurotic as hell, and is frightened of heavy rain, fireworks,loud noises, and anything else unusual.Dogs are also supposed to react to "ghosts" and they certainly have better developed senses of smell and hearing than us.I am sure it was not a "spiritual"l thing, I am also sure it was "real", as another person saw it.The experience has not led me to believe in particular mysteries, but it has led me to believe that there may be more to the physical world that we haven't discovered, like foo lights before an earthquake.

Edited by alibongo
  • Like 1

That sounds weird. You would think ball lightning would travel faster than that not that I have ever had any experiences with it.

That sounds weird. You would think ball lightning would travel faster than that not that I have ever had any experiences with it.

Fast as lightening,you would think! No, these two spheres moved at walking pace.My wife and I are as different as chalk and cheese, she is extrovert and grounded, I am introvert and bookish, which reinforces in me that it was real.No alcohol, lack of sleep, or drugs involved either.It only happened on the two occasions, I wish it was regular so I could video it.

Edited by alibongo

Many UFO sightings could be ball lightning, a natural phenomenon occuring in thunderstorm activity, and other known instances of flashing balls of light caused by swamp gas and earth lights released around seismic events. But to rule out an UFO report as "ball lightning" or "swamp gas" can sometimes be declared to debunk the UFO sighting...and in some areas of the country, UFOs are heavily reported in and around seismic fault lines, indicates these aliens are interested in tectonic plate movements.

Yeah, I mentioned the dog because she is as neurotic as hell, and is frightened of heavy rain, fireworks,loud noises, and anything else unusual.Dogs are also supposed to react to "ghosts" and they certainly have better developed senses of smell and hearing than us.I am sure it was not a "spiritual"l thing, I am also sure it was "real", as another person saw it.The experience has not led me to believe in particular mysteries, but it has led me to believe that there may be more to the physical world that we haven't discovered, like foo lights before an earthquake.

I was going to ask you if your dog was asleep at the time, but even so, I would have expected her to react either to a 'ghost' or ball lightning ....... it's a puzzle!

What I think is weird is not that you have seen ball lightenings, we all know the phenomenon is real .. But the fact you saw them TWICE in the same place?? That's what's odd .. :unsure2:

Lucky you I guess .. And oh, I suggest you not to touch them ..

What I think is weird is not that you have seen ball lightenings, we all know the phenomenon is real .. But the fact you saw them TWICE in the same place?? That's what's odd .. :unsure2:

Lucky you I guess .. And oh, I suggest you not to touch them ..

Seriously? In my old place there was a house and if you go near it, the wind blows on your face and you hear a voice whispering incantations. And then there's the headless man and the bird-man. So the place then was pretty messed up. Lucky for him it was just balls. I even saw DWARVES and had felt an evil presence when I was little.

A couple of years ago, during a big thunderstorm a ball lightening the size of a big football (soccer) hovered next to the window in the breakfast room (a 3 sided glass extension of the kitchen). I had gone to the kitchen to make tea and when I lifted my eyes, there was that big bluish-white fuzzy ball hovering at the junction between the ceiling and the french window. I have no idea how long it took me, but I hurried - seemingly in slow motion- out of the kitchen & closed the door! My daughter said the same thing happened in her bedroom upstairs. The house & garden are in a 'clearing' surrounded by tall trees, and there are 2 large metal structure close to the house, so I think during thunderstorms it is possible for ball lightening to form & enter a house even more than once, if the conditions for their formation remain feasable.

• Like 1

I posted before on this subject still makes me curious it is amazing when you see it and really scary when it happens indoors.

This is what happened to me.

I experienced something that might be what is called ball lightning in 1981. I don't know , but I was amazed whatever it was. I just moved to the country and there was a lightning thunder then a small storm which ended up with a beautiful sunset and rainbow that evening. I walked in the door from work and left the screen open since the air was so fresh from the rain. I was surprised when I saw a ball of light come floating and stopped in the living room for about 40 seconds or so. It was white like a florescent light and a little bigger than a basketball. I assume it came through the door but I didn't see where it came from since I was too busy just coming home to notice. It moved toward the large bay window but it popped as it went to a lamp I just turned on ! It flashed like an old time big flash bulb even the same kind of sound but sort of like a small clap of thunder. It smelled like an electrical fire after but there was no fire. The lamp shade smelled and had residue on it because there was some smoke when it happened. When it happened, it was just raining and part of the sky seemed to have a strange yellow hue but it was just before the big lightning and downpour part of the storm. It was part of the storm obviously.

I always wondered if ball lightning is the answer to the mystery of unexplained spontaneous combustion?

interesting story.

I think if I saw a ball of light the size of a basketball hovering in my living room, I'd be soiling my BVD's LOL

Earl Of Trumps

You wouldn't believe the thoughts that go through your head,after you say "holy ****!" I thought the house would catch fire because all I could think is this must be what they call ball lightning and somethings going to get electricuted or catch fire if it doesn't get out. My dog yipped before he ran out of the room to hide under the bed. Man's best friend didn't want to play with that ball LOL That's when I first noticed it. I was afraid to move when I saw it floating because I didn't know where it was headed.It seemed like if I moved it moved too...probably only my imagination since I was freaked. It happened quickly but it felt like forever. If it wasn't so quick I know I would have peed myself because I went to the bathroom after instead of going under the bed. A neighbor, a pilot, told me stories of ball lightning but I just never thought what ever he saw could enter a house. That's when a theory for spontaneous combustion came to me, I really thought I was going to get fried. After it's over you laugh at yourself and think the world is just full of things to discover. It was like being an ancient tribesman and seeing an eclipse for the first time . You don't have a clue of what's really happening and the world might even be coming to an end! . My husband came home and said lots of people in town had seen ball lightning before but it just doesn't happen that often, like years in between. I never saw wild coyotos, deers either before I moved there so I didn't really think much about it except it's a natural thing just like the thunder and the rainbow.

Must have been one laid back dog, my dog went crazy and alerted me to the weird light ball before I even knew what was happening!

I posted before on this subject still makes me curious it is amazing when you see it and really scary when it happens indoors.

This is what happened to me.

I experienced something that might be what is called ball lightning in 1981. I don't know , but I was amazed whatever it was. I just moved to the country and there was a lightning thunder then a small storm which ended up with a beautiful sunset and rainbow that evening. I walked in the door from work and left the screen open since the air was so fresh from the rain. I was surprised when I saw a ball of light come floating and stopped in the living room for about 40 seconds or so. It was white like a florescent light and a little bigger than a basketball. I assume it came through the door but I didn't see where it came from since I was too busy just coming home to notice. It moved toward the large bay window but it popped as it went to a lamp I just turned on ! It flashed like an old time big flash bulb even the same kind of sound but sort of like a small clap of thunder. It smelled like an electrical fire after but there was no fire. The lamp shade smelled and had residue on it because there was some smoke when it happened. When it happened, it was just raining and part of the sky seemed to have a strange yellow hue but it was just before the big lightning and downpour part of the storm. It was part of the storm obviously.

I always wondered if ball lightning is the answer to the mystery of unexplained spontaneous combustion?

interesting story.

I think if I saw a ball of light the size of a basketball hovering in my living room, I'd be soiling my BVD's LOL

Earl Of Trumps

You wouldn't believe the thoughts that go through your head,after you say "holy ****!" I thought the house would catch fire because all I could think is this must be what they call ball lightning and somethings going to get electricuted or catch fire if it doesn't get out. My dog yipped before he ran out of the room to hide under the bed. Man's best friend didn't want to play with that ball LOL That's when I first noticed it. I was afraid to move when I saw it floating because I didn't know where it was headed.It seemed like if I moved it moved too...probably only my imagination since I was freaked. It happened quickly but it felt like forever. If it wasn't so quick I know I would have peed myself because I went to the bathroom after instead of going under the bed. A neighbor, a pilot, told me stories of ball lightning but I just never thought what ever he saw could enter a house. That's when a theory for spontaneous combustion came to me, I really thought I was going to get fried. After it's over you laugh at yourself and think the world is just full of things to discover. It was like being an ancient tribesman and seeing an eclipse for the first time . You don't have a clue of what's really happening and the world might even be coming to an end! . My husband came home and said lots of people in town had seen ball lightning before but it just doesn't happen that often, like years in between. I never saw wild coyotos, deers either before I moved there so I didn't really think much about it except it's a natural thing just like the thunder and the rainbow.

It is very scary indeed ! I have no idea how long it took me to notice it and leave the kitchen because it seemed that both time, and my heart, almost stood still. I have no idea also why I acted silly and shut the kitchen door as if it would be a protection when it obviously appeared through a closed, but glass, door! However, there were no residue or scorch marks left anywhere. I didn't notice any trace of an odor either when I returned to the kitchen next day.

It is very scary indeed ! I have no idea how long it took me to notice it and leave the kitchen because it seemed that both time, and my heart, almost stood still. I have no idea also why I acted silly and shut the kitchen door as if it would be a protection when it obviously appeared through a closed, but glass, door! However, there were no residue or scorch marks left anywhere. I didn't notice any trace of an odor either when I returned to the kitchen next day.

I wanted to go in the room with my dog since they have a better instinctive reaction but I froze when it seemed to move as I did in front of me and came closer! When I froze it moved on its own toward the lamp and window. It did not scorched the shade, it was just a smoke film. I think if it went back out what ever way it came in, there would have been no smoke anywhere just as in your case. It baffles me to this day. I was really excited to see some others have seen the same kind of things indoors. I never heard of it indoors until UM.

Just like you and the kitchen door, you do really silly things when you have NO clue about what you're dealing with. When it seemed to move in reaction to my moves I actually thought for a few seconds it was intelligent in some way and asked, " what are you and why are you here? Please go away." LOL After the fact, I laughed at myself as much as I laughed about my cowardly dog. I had to pull him from under the bed as he was shaking and whining. He didn't want to go back into the living room at all. He calmed down when he saw it was gone, but I really had to fight to get him out of the bedroom! I laugh now but it wasn't funny when it was happening.

• Like 1