Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Patterson/Gimlin bigfoot film re-examined

Bionic Bigfoot

So you are saying that fairies and unicorns and the Irish and bigfoot and werewolves are all real because we have no proof of them having ever existed?

You poor deluded fool, the Irish don't exist!!!

• Like 1

You poor deluded fool, the Irish don't exist!!!

Of course not! All we have are a few blurry videos and suddenly there's an island of "Irish people"? Yeah, sure... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Of course not! All we have are a few blurry videos and suddenly there's an island of "Irish people"? Yeah, sure... :rolleyes:

And they call the Island they come from "Island" or "Ireland" or whatever idiot spelling they use... ohh please. Someone needs lessons in creativity.

• Like 1

And they call the Island they come from "Island" or "Ireland" or whatever idiot spelling they use... ohh please. Someone needs lessons in creativity.

Most ridiculous crap I've ever heard in my life.

• Like 1

Roger Patterson died shortly after the film was released in 1972 and it's mostly been Bob Gimlin who's been the main proponent. As I understand it Patterson was in favor of shooting the critter if they encountered it and supposedly Gimlin talked him out of it. What I saw made a good case for Patterson being duped by the two men, however......and this is a big however.......they ran out of film and had to reload. On the second can of film are the foot prints and they show a horse with rider walking beside them and you can clearly see the horse and rider don't make as deep an impression as the alleged Bigfoot. Patterson had a solid reputation and supposedly Gimlin had a bit of a shady past......how shady I don't know for sure.

That all sounds right to me. It the extra deep footprints that is part of why I think it a hoax.

I think the person riding in that 2nd film has been shown to be Bob Heironomous, the guy who supposedly wore the suit.

On the DNA front things aren't looking so good either:

Breaking: Melba Ketchum's DNA Diagnostics Building Is Shut Down! WTF!

In a strange turn of events, once again, the Admins from Team Tazer Bigfoot fan page, Lupe Mendoza, reported that while driving back from the Cryptopoolza his group decided to make a stop by the location of Melba Ketchum’s business, DNA Diagnostics, located at the address 569 Bear Drive, Timpson, Texas, 75975-4072. It turns out when they arrived, the building was closed down and had a for sale sign posted on the front of the building. This is very mysterious since the last word we heard from the Ketchum fiasco, oops… I mean "camp" stated that the DNA would be out soon and basically everyone that offered up a can of "hateraid" to her DNA study will soon be eating crow.

Also, interesting enough, the phone number listed 936-254-2228 for her lab is now disconnected. This just adds to the ongoing mystery surrounding her DNA study...

Read more: http://www.bigfootev...ostics.html?m=1

I just think its really stupid to write something off as not existing, absence of evidence is not evidence of abscence

My dear fellow, first and foremost, you need to read for comprehension. I clearly said I'm open to the possibility in the very first few words of the very first sentence I wrote. The problem isn't my own belief but rather the lack of any real, hard, scientifically verifiable evidence that I can hang that belief upon. If you don't have evidence enough to prove I committed a murder then guess what? Odds are you'll never convict me of murder. The same is true of Bigfoot, my own openness is based on the account of two men I know and knew very well and their actual encounters.

Now if you wish to believe without anything to back up that belief then by all means do so, you ain't gonna hurt my feelings. However, don't jump on me and tell me what I've written is "stupid" when it's painfully obvious you lack the ability to understand what I have written.

• Like 2

In a strange turn of events, once again, the Admins from Team Tazer Bigfoot fan page, Lupe Mendoza, reported that while driving back from the Cryptopoolza his group decided to make a stop by the location of Melba Ketchum’s business, DNA Diagnostics, located at the address 569 Bear Drive, Timpson, Texas, 75975-4072. It turns out when they arrived, the building was closed down and had a for sale sign posted on the front of the building. This is very mysterious since the last word we heard from the Ketchum fiasco, oops… I mean "camp" stated that the DNA would be out soon and basically everyone that offered up a can of "hateraid" to her DNA study will soon be eating crow.

Also, interesting enough, the phone number listed 936-254-2228 for her lab is now disconnected. This just adds to the ongoing mystery surrounding her DNA study...

I am shocked!... :no:

Did she have any investors?

Unfortunately, businesses go out of business every day, being a DNA test facility is no guarantee of success.

Very interesting. I look forward to the Bigfoot True Believer implosion that will occur on many forum sites (Other... not UM) as a result. Flame wars will likely get out of hand and result in Bannings.

I would still like to see what was found out about all those samples that were sent in.

Maybe it is all part of a scam? Say that the FedGov knocked down the door and took all the samples.... The MIBs? I look forward to the various excuses that will be issued.

• Like 1

DC, the ability to offer up excuses from the believer camps is apparently limitless. However, I'd be curious to see what they come with this time myself.

So you are saying that fairies and unicorns and the Irish and bigfoot and werewolves are all real because we have no proof of them having ever existed?

Not saying that at all and I think you KNOW what I was trying to say, and how does a large primates existence in anyway compare to a Horned horse.

Not saying that at all and I think you KNOW what I was trying to say, and how does a large primates existence in anyway compare to a Horned horse.

Well, they both only exist in legend and we have no proof they exist at all.

• Like 1

There's as much evidence for either.

Bigfoot would also have to be a hominid, thanks to its non divergent big toe. So the gigantopithecus argument is out. No hominids of such stature have been found. In fact, the most recent lineage of hominids that died out were smaller than modern homo sapiens.

Then there is the amount of food required. Large primates are omnivorous by necessity. Contrary to common belief, jungles and forests are not full of food. They are full of things trying to survive and kill one another. Look at bears. They're diet is 90% herbaceous and they have to hibernate because of food scarcity in the winter months. Primates do not hibernate. We don't have the ability to do so. What is a bigfoot going to eat in the winter?

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

Bigfoot would also have to be a hominid, thanks to its non divergent big toe. So the gigantopithecus argument is out. No hominids of such stature have been found. In fact, the most recent lineage of hominids that died out were smaller than modern homo sapiens.

Then there is the amount of food required. Large primates are omnivorous by necessity. Contrary to common belief, jungles and forests are not full of food. They are full of things trying to survive and kill one another. Look at bears. They're diet is 90% herbaceous and they have to hibernate because of food scarcity in the winter months. Primates do not hibernate. We don't have the ability to do so. What is a bigfoot going to eat in the winter?

Well it seems like you have it all figured out

Well it seems like you have it all figured out

I study biology. Mainly primate evolution. I would LOVE for bigfoot to be real, but I have to go with what the evidence tell me. Right now, ALL the evidence says that there is no such creature.

• Like 1

I study biology. Mainly primate evolution. I would LOVE for bigfoot to be real, but I have to go with what the evidence tell me. Right now, ALL the evidence says that there is no such creature.

So Ill say it again looks like you have it all figured out :tu:

So Ill say it again looks like you have it all figured out :tu:

Most of it. I'm still struggling with light switches.

Most of it. I'm still struggling with light switches.

My ex-wife never could get the hang of them either.

• Like 1

My ex-wife never could get the hang of them either.

I had to replace a double panel light switch and outlet in my master bathroom about a year ago when it broken. I accidently installed it upside down. Yo have to flick the switch down to turn it off. I still have yet to fix it.

• Like 1

I'd agree that Bigfoot has to be a hominid... But isn't it true that Neanderthals were much more robust and much stouter and heavier in build? And that the people refered to as Cro Magnon (I believe that is an antiquated term now?) were as tall or taller on average then modern man? And that the Flores people were dwarfed in an extremely short amount of time due to island dwarfism? Then isn't it possible that a genetically isolated hominid group developed gigantism for the same reasons other megafauna developed gigantism (Cold? Protection?)? I think it is possible, but if it happened or not is debatable.

Wouldn't a larger then human hominid need less food then a proportional human? Larger animals eat proportionally less food. There are no know hibernating primates, but bigfoot would not need to hibernate if it is nomadic, like pronghorn antelope, or like reindeer. AFAIK polar bears do not hibernate, and they are bigfoot sized at roughly 9 feet tall and 1500 pounds. And they don't freeze to death, due to a fat layer, and yet, they don't look like plush dolls either. It is only a matter of evolution/adaptation for bigfoot to survive harsh winters, subsist on what can be found and to be a large sized creature.

I'd agree that Bigfoot has to be a hominid... But isn't it true that Neanderthals were much more robust and much stouter and heavier in build? And that the people refered to as Cro Magnon (I believe that is an antiquated term now?) were as tall or taller on average then modern man? And that the Flores people were dwarfed in an extremely short amount of time due to island dwarfism? Then isn't it possible that a genetically isolated hominid group developed gigantism for the same reasons other megafauna developed gigantism (Cold? Protection?)? I think it is possible, but if it happened or not is debatable.

Wouldn't a larger then human hominid need less food then a proportional human? Larger animals eat proportionally less food. There are no know hibernating primates, but bigfoot would not need to hibernate if it is nomadic, like pronghorn antelope, or like reindeer. AFAIK polar bears do not hibernate, and they are bigfoot sized at roughly 9 feet tall and 1500 pounds. And they don't freeze to death, due to a fat layer, and yet, they don't look like plush dolls either. It is only a matter of evolution/adaptation for bigfoot to survive harsh winters, subsist on what can be found and to be a large sized creature.

I don't believe that there has been enough time for a group of hominids to diversify so much. Neanderthal was more robust, but shorter overall. It possible, but it's just not probable and there isn't a shred of evidence.

Most larger animals eat more, lower calorie foods in bulk, i.e. plants and tubers and the like.

• Like 1

I don't believe that there has been enough time for a group of hominids to diversify so much. Neanderthal was more robust, but shorter overall. It possible, but it's just not probable and there isn't a shred of evidence.

Most larger animals eat more, lower calorie foods in bulk, i.e. plants and tubers and the like.

Neanderthals developed around 800,000 years ago, and died out about 20,000 years ago, right? And wasn't Homo Erectus wandering East Asia more then 1 million years ago? And hasn't there been at least 4 glaciations since 1 million years ago? Thus, there have been at least 4 times when Alaska had a land bridge to Asia and there were hominid apes in Asia at the time. So, I think there very well could have been time for such evolution. Though it is just an opinion.

But larger deer need to eat more, per pound, then large deer, right? And larger bears need to eat less, per pound, then smaller bears.