Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tourette Syndrome

Miss Shadows

To provide a basic idea of what it is, it's a neuropsychiatric disorder that leads to sort of compulsive/impulsive movements or vocalizations. Those things you might've seen in movies or on Youtube like someone uncontrollably screaming profanities, things of those severity tend to be highly exaggerated, to the point of plain inaccuracy often times. These little involuntary actions are more like things someone with Tourette's might do repeatedly often without realizing it or on purpose, and 'tics' come in all kinds of forms and on a spectrum, although I know at least some can "suppress" them, though that's a tricky task. Overall to the best of my knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong) it's still not the most understood condition, for instance what causes it, environmental vs. genetic factors, etc. So, that being said, I wanted to throw out a question of my own and see if anyone has any answers or information to add in. Namely, I'm wondering how widespread the science of pharmaceutics is that they're either producing new FDA-approved pharmaceuticals for TS or finding treatments for it otherwise. Also, non-FDA approved or unregistered products, has anyone heard of anything aside from your stamped and labeled products that's even been rumored to be beneficial to treatment? People are always saying Marijuana cures this, or such and such remedies that...I know this is a pretty off-beat/random topic and a packed question, but noting also that I'm not asking for medical advice, maybe this would be an interesting point of discussion, seeing as TS doesn't seem like a very well-known issue one way or another.

I was diagnosed with this syndrome at about the age of 6 or 7, but grew out of my symptoms over time. The medication I took as a child and adolescent is called clonidine. It was designed to be a hypertensive medication, but for some unknown reason, it helps with Tourette's as well. I'm afraid I can't tell you much about the current state of drug research on Tourette's. I think it's either a rare condition, or that a great number of mild cases go undiagnosed, so there's not as much motivation for creating new treatment and drug therapies; however, the one I took was very effective for me. I once saw a documentary wherein an extremely severe case had brain implants to help control his symptoms. Most people do grow out of their tics by adulthood, and it has also been correlated with conditions such as OCD and ADD.

Every disease has both genetic and environmental components, but I don't think they've been well-established in the case of Tourette's.

Trying unregistered products for something like this--or anything, really--is a bad idea because such drugs haven't been studied--i.e. proven safe and effective. If you don't know what you're taking you could have an adverse reaction.

Edited by Cybele

i have torrets but its very mild, if you seen it you would probably think i was just being weird for a second and go on with your day.

Most mental disorders are misunderstood, if people out there have something to add

then it can only be a good thing, even if it means that common misconceptions and stigma

are removed from a persons understanding.

Thanks,

• Like 1

My math class partner whispers profanities all through class as the teacher lectures. I have secretly named her "whispering Tourettes" because she cannot seen to control herself.She is under a lot of stress IMO.

My grandnephew has been recently diagnosed with TS. Parents were told it may being linked to allergies. So, maybe allergy control might help?

Edited by QuiteContrary

I have a form of it linked to OCD. I sometimes get the odd involuntary movements, I also tend to swear quite a lot.

I had a good friend who had it bad as a child. Her twin did not suffer from it. She still suffers from OCD. She has mostly grown out of the Tourettes.

I believe that cognitive behavioral therapy is effective and possibly anti seizure medication. That same kind of medication is used for bi polarism as well.

• Like 1

The swearing part gets my mind moving. There's a couple other desease/syndromes that also have this same symptom. I can't help but wonder what would happen if the person didnt KNOW any "obscenities." Say they didnt realize they were socially unacceptable or were taught that "sugar, spice, flowers" etc were bad words. What if they only knew them in another language?

• Like 2

I worked with a software engineer who had a very strong case of Tourettes. He was brilliant, but the vocalizations and involuntary movement were super distracting in meetings, but over time you get used to it, respectfully let the tick pass and move on. He didn't swear or say socially objectionable things... he fist pumped like he was at a rock concert and said "Whooooooop! Whoop! Whoop! eeee-Yep! Eeeee YEP!" in some ways, it was rather cheeful behavoir! LOL.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I have a friend who has TS.

Can't imagine the potential embarassment when in public.

Yeah, I have a friend who has TS.

Can't imagine the potential embarassment when in public.

Hm, I've read all the posts and mine's nothing nearly as severe as that. It's not medicated, I'm not taking therapy for it, and honestly when I tell people they're always very skeptical or disbelieving all together. I'm almost wholly a naturalist when it comes to what I put in my body for medical purposes. I think the last time I ingested pain medication was a few months ago after I was stabbed and my wounds were healing up after that, but I don't think I've even had an Aspirin, Tylenol, or anything like that since I was maybe 14...nope, no seizure medications or such pills otherwise, and anyway I don't think mine is that bad, what I do do is catch myself if something comes on and mentally condition myself to "rid" myself of whatever it is. I wasn't even aware it was a "mental" disorder though...I've been screened for all kinds of things for work/school/family purposes, and the only things that came up were a mild case of Tourrette's and suspected Autism...I know I've heard of Tourette's commonly being paired with other conditions as well though and I wonder if sociopathy may be a possibility...

Oh, and I don't know about for others with TS, but for me there's no real social issue in it...again, my case is so mild, if I squint or something I can play it off like my allergies are bugging me, so I guess I'm lucky enough that public embarrassment isn't an issue for me at least.

Edited by HeartsAreForBreaking