Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged]Male Beluga Whale Mimics Human Voice

pallidin

I think its amazing they learned how to mimic us. Just wait until they know what they are saying.

• Like 2

Flip flop it all reverse style, think what the animals think when we make their noises at them; 'hairless freak doesn't know what she/he is talking about, just mimicking me, crazy thing'.

• Like 1

New audio analysis of whale recordings has revealed that a beluga whale raised in captivity tried to imitate human speech. Scientists believe the whale, named NOC, taught himself to mimic human sounds. NOC would make noises when trainers were in the water near him. “Our observations suggest that the whale had to modify its vocal mechanics in order to make the speech-like sounds,” said Sam Ridgway of the National Marine Mammal Foundation. “Such obvious effort suggests motivation for contact.”

2088289489_c3d06e8539_o.jpg

Image is not copyrighted and under Attribution license on Flickr by David Paul Ohmer to copy, distribute and transmit the work

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/extras/2012/10/22/world-news-instant-index-10222012/

Hmm. I think its trying very hard to send a message.... It sounds like its trying to sing the intro to a song called Kill the Guy with the Ball..... :D by Steve Vai.

https://www.youtube....h?v=619kUYpVMBU

I would be careful if I was those trainers.

• Like 1

Be interesting if this could be the cause of the "Julia" sound... where could a whale have heard "Julia" from to begin with?

Witch craft...and aliens.. are responsible for this craziness.

Really though, thats pretty neat!

The gracious deity of the waters. When they stop singing the sacred song of the Cosmo's, we all die. FYI, i do the same thing in the bath tub every morning, it's really no big deal.

Freaky; wonder what it thinks its saying?

"Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi"

Edited by Karlis

Great article, thanks for sharing it pallidin. :)

I think the most amazing thing about Noc is that his voice matches his face...

He sounds like me after a few ales, hic

• Like 1

If you listen really close you can hear him say, "Call me Ishmael."