Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tour de France Past Winners

Keel M.

Okay, I understand and fully support Lance Armstrong being stripped of his titles or medals or whatever the heck he gets for "winning" the Tour de France. What I don't understand is why those years will just have no winner listed rather than the second place guys for each year getting the reward. Is it that only the winner counts and everyone else is just a loser? It makes no sense to me to not reward a true winner for the years in which Lance Armstrong cheated.

Any cyclists available to explain??

• Like 1

I think ever who came in second at the time should now be the winner and make sure they weren't using something too.

• Like 1

HuttonEtAl said in one of his status updates: 'It also sounds like no one will be awarded victories for those years. The record books will be left blank for those years because all of the top finishers have been linked to doping. Maybe it was a level playing field...'

Well, exactly that is the problem. Take Jan Ullrich, for example. He finished just behind Armstrong in 2000, 2001 and 2003 and he was heavily doped as well. He and others have also expressed that they won't accept being listed as the winner for the years in which Armstrong won the Tour.

Edit: All cyclists dope. It's always been like that.

Edited by FLOMBIE

If that's true, why is Lance Armstrong being made a scapegoat now??

The French were ticked off when people started calling it the Tour de Lance. :lol:

Because he had been dominating the Tour like no one before. But there were so many other winners who were caught doping: Riis, Pantani, Landis, the glorious Merckx, let's not forget Ullrich, the only German winner, and also Virenque, who did not win, but used to be a French hero.

Edit: Another very good German cyclist, Eric Zabel, six times winner of the Tour's maillot vert, admitted under tears that he tried doping, but his liver could not take it, so he stopped. He also admitted that, if his liver could have dealt with the substances, he would have continued.

Edited by FLOMBIE
  • Like 1