Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is PMS a Myth?

Q-C

I think that there is a clear cultural bias in the industrialized world when it comes to PMS. I don't think that is debatable.

Women are not like men.

If you go and work in an office full of women you'll discover gossiping, lying, back stabbing, bad mouthing, spreading rumours, obnoxious behaviour, aggression and all kinds of cheap manipulation tricks being used.

Women are the weaker sex so instead of direct confrontation they choose the underhand methods to get what they want. When you pull a woman over her bad behaviour you'll either get the crocodile tears (which are quite frankly pathetic) or the excuses such as pms.

Its easy to see through such instances because her bad behaviour would have led to her gaining something. I've seen it all you wont convince me pms is real.

I am so in love.. this man is full of.........wisdom :wub:

Please feed more of your great knowledge and facts... Move to men.. what are they like ? ( Please god let him say they are all like him )

I could give you all the attention you crave morning , noon and night... you are just so amazing... Why cant all guys be like you?

I clicked like again...lol and I will start the - Mr Right Wing is fan dabby dosey club..

Say whaaaaaat?!

He's great isn't he? He wants the attention and I am going to give it to him.. I so wish I had his picture

Man this thing I am going through will last a few days...it's brilliant

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 4

I support gay marriage :)

Oh great, more fuel for my lover Mr Lover Lover.. hmmmmm

This is going to get so exciting now lol

I think that there is a clear cultural bias in the industrialized world when it comes to PMS. I don't think that is debatable.

Could you expand on that, thx.

Could you expand on that, thx.

Just that in industrialized cultures women are expected to be crabby and lounge around and be miserable (make me miserable), etc, if/when they have PMS. It seems more of an entitlement in our culture.

If you look at more ancestral cultures, women are the ones that do almost everything, from foraging to cooking, cleaning, etc. while the men mainly just hunt. Day to day life doesn't change no matter how crappy they feel. If you don't go out and gather, people don't eat. So they still tend to their daily duties, even while menstruating.

Obviously, one way is not superior to the other, they are just clear cultural differences.

Edit: If you'll excuse me, I have to get Hammy the Flying Squirrel to this party....

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

*commercial break* I love your hair, Hasina !!! I want it.

Why thank ya! This'll sound weird but look it up, I did it with pastels. Pretty easy to do and washes out quite nicely.

Women hate PMS.. I hate how it makes you feel hot......and I hate he mood...

Just that in industrialized cultures women are expected to be crabby and lounge around and be miserable (make me miserable), etc, if/when they have PMS. It seems more of an entitlement in our culture.

If you look at more ancestral cultures, women are the ones that do almost everything, from foraging to cooking, cleaning, etc. while the men mainly just hunt. Day to day life doesn't change no matter how crappy they feel. If you don't go out and gather, people don't eat. So they still tend to their daily duties, even while menstruating.

Obviously, one way is not superior to the other, they are just clear cultural differences.

Edit: If you'll excuse me, I have to get Hammy the Flying Squirrel to this party....

bolding mine

I don't know any women who take off 1+ days of work every month because the are entitled. Nope, they've got bills to pay and families to feed or they don't eat and have a roof over their head either.

Then this "entitlement" would also include back pain, joint pain, migraine headaches, allergies, etc, that men also suffer with.

How do we know if PMS was even physically the same in ancestral cultures? They lived differently, ate differently, may have been pregnant more often or nursed longer.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

bolding mine

I don't know any women who take off 1+ days of work every month because the are entitled. Nope, they've got bills to pay and families to feed or they don't eat and have a roof over their head either.

Then this "entitlement" would also include back pain, joint pain, migraine headaches, allergies, etc, that men also suffer with.

How do we know if PMS was even physically the same in ancestral cultures? They lived differently, ate differently, may have been pregnant more often or nursed longer.

I'm in no way saying that PMS is a myth nor that it does not have very real side effects. Maybe just that women in industrialized cultures wine about it more, for lack of a better term. I'm not belittling PMS in any way.

Ancestral cultures refer to those hunter/gatherer cultures that you find in South America, Africa, etc. "Primitive" some might say.

It says "Thoughts ladies?" in the description of this thread.

So as I'm not a lady, I suppose I can't share my thoughts :cry:

And I should get some tips from Mr Right Wing!

I'm in no way saying that PMS is a myth nor that it does not have very real side effects. Maybe just that women in industrialized cultures wine about it more, for lack of a better term. I'm not belittling PMS in any way.

Ancestral cultures refer to those hunter/gatherer cultures that you find in South America, Africa, etc. "Primitive" some might say.

I hear you, it sounded rough and unfair to my ears. :)

I'm wondering if in ancestral and present day primitive cultures the women, due to lack of body fat and/or very high physical activity level, may not even cycle every month?

Edited by QuiteContrary

I'm a male, so I'm not sure about this, but I thought I read somewhere in some medical studies that PMS is a recognized disorder involving certain hormones being either depleted or not working correctly after some cases of female menopause.

Apparently, this does not happen in all women, making the studies difficult to authenticate.

• Like 1

It says "Thoughts ladies?" in the description of this thread.

So as I'm not a lady, I suppose I can't share my thoughts :cry:

And I should get some tips from Mr Right Wing!

Plenty of men are sharing on the thread, so don't feel left out, join in.

• Like 1

I hear you, it sounded rough and unfair to my ears. :)

I'm wondering if in ancestral and present day primitive cultures the women, due to lack of body fat and/or activity level, may not even cycle every month?

No problem. I should have been a bit more clear.

They still menstruate every month, though I'm sure there are exceptions. I don't happen to know of any, however.

No problem. I should have been a bit more clear.

They still menstruate every month, though I'm sure there are exceptions. I don't happen to know of any, however.

Do they nurse longer and get pregnant more often then western industrialized women?

Why thank ya! This'll sound weird but look it up, I did it with pastels. Pretty easy to do and washes out quite nicely.

Did you not have a lovely picture of yourself with dark brown hair recently? If so I liked that one best

Did you not have a lovely picture of yourself with dark brown hair recently? If so I liked that one best

I did indeedly, it may show up again, or I'll take another pic like that. I just had a few people tell me I looked like Kristen Stewart so I felt like I should change it. :P

• Like 1

Do they nurse longer and get pregnant more often then western industrialized women?

Rates of pregnancy vary wildly, but it is highest in poverty stricken catholic nations.

Breast feeding lasts considerably longer. It's actually not as beneficial for the child to nurse less than about a year and a half to 2 years. The upper limit seems to be around 7 years for benefits.

Check out Katherine Dettwyler has a good essay on it, if you're interested. http://www.llli.org/ba/aug94.html

I am dreading HRT !!!! It is unfair.. We think it is great to have no more cramps and pains each month and along comes HRT..sigh... I just know I am going to get it bad....I recall back when I didn't know or understand what HRT was ..I used to poke gun at my mom..I stopped if she got upset... I am thinking ..karma will get me good...

Rates of pregnancy vary wildly, but it is highest in poverty stricken catholic nations.

Breast feeding lasts considerably longer. It's actually not as beneficial for the child to nurse less than about a year and a half to 2 years. The upper limit seems to be around 7 years for benefits.

Check out Katherine Dettwyler has a good essay on it, if you're interested. http://www.llli.org/ba/aug94.html

underscoring mine

Wouldn't that account for lack of PMS "complaints"? Since not every woman experiences troublesome or severe PMS anyway. Out of the few who do experience moderate to severe PMS, they breastfeed for long periods thus avoiding PMS.

• Like 1

underscoring mine

Wouldn't that account for lack of PMS "complaints"? Since not every woman experiences troublesome or severe PMS anyway. Out of the few who do experience moderate to severe PMS, they breastfeed for long periods thus avoiding PMS.

It very well could. I believe there are some interesting anthropological studies out there that suggest the same. It's really no my area of expertise, though, so I couldn't say for sure. Correlation=/=Causation and all that.

I am dreading HRT !!!! It is unfair.. We think it is great to have no more cramps and pains each month and along comes HRT..sigh... I just know I am going to get it bad....I recall back when I didn't know or understand what HRT was ..I used to poke gun at my mom..I stopped if she got upset... I am thinking ..karma will get me good...

Dreading HRT hormone replacement therapy?

I hate what they do to horses to get the hormones.

I did not like the hot flashes but tolerated them okay, in Texas, in summer. But for some ladies symptoms are much worse. Plus being all wet and sweaty at work would not be fun.

We are each different and no one can tell us how we feel is a myth.

underscoring mine

You are spot on.. very true indeed

I know that not all women will suffer as bad... just like I know that not all women have heavy painful periods.. Same with pregnancy...all differ.. Some will have an easy time.. some wont

My sister and I differed with PMS.. She was more bad tempered and cried more than I did.. She used to feel so sad that it had her like that.. My mother said she never had any real problem with PMS or her monthly periods UNTIL she had 3 kids.. then it got worse for her..She winded up having her womb removed as a result..

I had it bad every month I dreaded my monthly.. it was long and painful..I winded up addicted to painkillers because of it.. .. BUT when I had my kids.. it got very easy for me.. I cry now and then at stupid things..but I don't get it as bad as I once did..and the monthly periods are very short and not as painful...

For every woman it really does vary.. I think the trouble with some men is - They don't fully understand it.. and some think that if so many don't suffer, that MUST mean the rest are just using it all as an excuse..

To fully understand it all.. you must realize that each woman.. regardless were in the world she is .. will vary ....

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

You are spot on.. very true indeed

I know that not all women will suffer as bad... just like I know that not all women have heavy painful periods.. Sam with pregnancy...all differ.. SOme will have an easy time.. some wont

My sister and I differed with PMS.. She was more bad tempered and cried more than I did.. She used to feel so sad that it had her like that.. My mother said she never had any real problem with PMS or her monthly periods UNTIL she had 3 kids.. then it got worse for her..She winded up having her womb removed as a result..

I had it bad every month I dreaded my monthly.. it was long and painful..I winded up addicted to painkillers because of it.. .. BUT when I had my kids.. it got very easy for me.. I cry now and then at stupid things..but I don't get it as bad as I once did..and the monthly periods are very short and not as painful...

For every woman it really does vary.. I think the trouble with some men is - They don't fully understand it.. and some think that if so many don't suffer, that MUST mean the rest are just using it all as an excuse..

To fully understand it all.. you must realize that each woman.. regardless were in the world she is .. will vary ....

underscoring mine

Exactly!

*WARNING* TMI

I hemorrhaged every month the last few years. I had difficulty breathing at that time each month from lack of iron. It can actually cause anemia induced heart failure. I had no idea at the time. Yeah, I should've pulled up my bootstraps and cleaned the dang house! Ha ha. So I was prescribed prescription iron like many women. But it only helped with the breathing trouble.

And cramps are uterine contractions as in labor! For some of us they can be severe, I know.

This runs in the family. My mom said the aunt who raised her in the 1930's had to drink some blood red colored liquid that was prescribed by her doctor and delivered to the house.

Edited by QuiteContrary