Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Evolution of Musical Instruments Explored

Still Waters

No one knows where music came from, or who Elvis' singing predecessors were, or even when the first instruments were invented, but Neville Fletcher, a retired scientist at the Australian National University in Canberra who has made a hobby of studying the physics of instruments, thinks the key to the invention of instruments is the materials available in each civilization. The people used what they had.

http://www.livescien...nstruments.html

• Like 1

is that why are music is so electronic, i guess we shall witness the death of the instrument, R.I.P

[silly] No. nonono. God made the guitar as it is, there is no proof of evolution in musical instruments. [/silly]

A very enjoyable read, music grows, changes and so our need for tools to grow with it.

I think drums are as old as we are, i drum on things subconciously/naturally, horns were most likely stumbled upon and probably used for many things including music, I think strings were discovered by people being very creative......then....electricity comes along making more evolutionary possibilities.

• Like 2

I agree that drums were probably the first, and I would say flutes and whistles were second - using hollowed out bone - probably discovered while sucking the marrow out...

• Like 1

I don't know about the battle sounds, but certainly the sounds of everyday chores as chipping stone for tools, pounding and scraping animal skins and plants would provide a rhythm. And the various work surfaces and tools used would affect the tones made during the activity.With some observation, and just a bit of refinement, purposeful tools-instruments-could be made. Add some vocalization-perhaps simply conversation about the activity being performed-and it could be called a song.

• Like 2

[silly] No. nonono. God made the guitar as it is, there is no proof of evolution in musical instruments. [/silly]

Spot on, they might be evolving now but if there was ever a strong argument for creationism at the beginning this is it... ;)

• Like 1

Musical instruments evolved from two sources. One being the pleasure of the human ears, the other being to "attract" animals closer for a kill.

Spot on, they might be evolving now but if there was ever a strong argument for creationism at the beginning this is it... ;)

Further proof: "His brother's name was Jubal; he was the father of all who play stringed instruments and pipes." Genesis 4:20-22 (in context)

Makes you wonder what the stringed instrument he played looked like. Gibson or Fender?

• Like 2

We listen to the beat of our mother's hearts for months before birth. I think that instills in us a natural affinity for 'drums' . My mom also sang a lot as she went about her daily affairs... she told me I kept time to music before i talked or walked.

• Like 1

Further proof: "His brother's name was Jubal; he was the father of all who play stringed instruments and pipes." Genesis 4:20-22 (in context)

Makes you wonder what the stringed instrument he played looked like. Gibson or Fender?

I dunno, but I do know that Martin guitars are built in Nazareth (O.k... Nazareth PA, but still), so I may have to lean that way. ;)

• Like 1