Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I Don't Believe in Fairies, BUT . . .

Still Waters

Many people would be surprised to learn that belief in fairies, elves, dwarfs, and the like has a long and venerable tradition in Europe. Like belief in witchcraft, it is one of the last relics of paganism.

People may also be unaware that, when folklorists were researching fairy traditions in the British Isles during the 19th, and even 20th, century, they found people who not only believed in them, but also claimed to have seen them. Of course, they might have been making it up. Indeed, that is the only view you could take if you have already ruled out the existence of fairies.

So, I don't believe in fairies, but ... there are still a lot of strange things being encountered. Like.....

http://malcolmsanoma...airies-but.html

One of my friends swears they're real. She is a high priestess of Wicca ,and she does all kinds of fairy magick .

I don't get it myself ,but I don't think I'm wired that way . I teach her about Santeria etc ,and she teaches me fairy stuffs .

I just dont get it though

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 2

One of my friends swears they're real. She is a high priestess of Wicca ,and she does all kinds of fairy magick .

I don't get it myself ,but I don't think I'm wired that way . I teach her about Santeria etc ,and she teaches me fairy stuffs .

I just dont get it though

Have you heard that song by Sublime It goes like : I dont practice santaria , I dont got no crystal ball , but If I had a million dollars Id spend it all

• Like 1

I think there are just about as many European (including UK) bigfoot reports/stories as there are Little People/Fairy reports/stories. I've seen lots of stories of people who have seen what they thought was little people (usually dressed in green) in various European countrysides.

Personally I think it is Mental, much the same as aliens, ghosts or bigfoot....

if they did exist, they'd be damn scary and not this Disneyfied Tinkerbell happy clappy.

• Like 5

I've been pondering this question...What is all this crap about fantasy characters and angels?? Have you heard this! 3 out of 4 people now believe in angels. Has everyone lost their minds in this world? Angels, and fairies...What about goblins?? Doesn't anyone believe in goblins anymore? And zombies?

You mean they are related? & If angels are by any chance real, so should goblins & zombies?

OMG I hope you are wrong. :P

• Like 1

I watched this programme months ago and it was about the beliefs people had in the past. One of the beliefs was that fairies were real and they lived underground. It was also believed that they would take kids away ( I'm not totally sure on that). There was a story as well where a man burnt his wife because she wasn't eating her bread and he thought she was possessed because she wasn't hungry.

Another bizarre belief was that if you seen this mist in the field you would die.

They believed in some crazy stuff in the past, didn't they? :D

Almost as bad as some people today. ;)

I had a phase in childhood where I wished and wished for tiny people (Barbie-sized) to play with. No avail.

But during this phase while at the airport with my parents I saw my first little person. She was beautiful with long dark hark and dressed so beautifully and adult with high heels and a fancy purse, yet she was shorter than me. I was entranced by the whole experience.

• Like 2

I've stated this on other threads, but I'll mention it again: When I was eight years old, my grandfather told me I'm half fairy. Yes, he was Irish (both parents were born in Ireland and brought him to the USA when he was an infant). No, he didn't drink. He was an educated, erudite man not given to flights of fancy.

For that reason, I won't close my mind to the existence of beings for which we have no evidence at present. Including fairies.

• Like 1

I've been pondering this question...What is all this crap about fantasy characters and angels?? Have you heard this! 3 out of 4 people now believe in angels. Has everyone lost their minds in this world? Angels, and fairies...What about goblins?? Doesn't anyone believe in goblins anymore? And zombies?

well it depends on what you mean by Angels - I believe in the "terrible messengers of the Lord" style Angels, I am Catholic after all, but not this "sitting on a cloud, playing a harp" winged beings.

Like the Fair Folk an Angel isn't the sort of being you'd like to meet, or to have one take an active interest in your life.

• Like 1

I've stated this on other threads, but I'll mention it again: When I was eight years old, my grandfather told me I'm half fairy. Yes, he was Irish (both parents were born in Ireland and brought him to the USA when he was an infant). No, he didn't drink. He was an educated, erudite man not given to flights of fancy.

For that reason, I won't close my mind to the existence of beings for which we have no evidence at present. Including fairies.

how can you be half faerie?

Which of your parents was a Sidhe?

• Like 1

well it depends on what you mean by Angels - I believe in the "terrible messengers of the Lord" style Angels, I am Catholic after all, but not this "sitting on a cloud, playing a harp" winged beings.

Like the Fair Folk an Angel isn't the sort of being you'd like to meet, or to have one take an active interest in your life.

Yea, they are MEAN.

Seriously just because a myth has been perpetuated for centuries doesn't make it real or true. It's like the myth of dragons, many cultures have myths on dragons. Of course each culture ends up being influenced by another especially if one culture ends up being an extension or offshoot of the other.

By the way I think dragons are getting seriously short-changed here and its all because they're not cute or adorable. :(

• Like 2

I've read that, and it is interesting that church (synogogue, temple, mosque) attendence seems to be down worldwide, while belief in the supernatural seems to be on the increase.

As Wearer of Hats said that would me one of your parents or... two grandparents (one on each side) were fairy, or Sidhe, the Tuatha Dé Danann, as they are known in Irish myth. Maybe he meant Firbolg, or Fomorian? Those are some of the mythical Irish ancestor races.

Edited by DieChecker

Seriously just because a myth has been perpetuated for centuries doesn't make it real or true. It's like the myth of dragons, many cultures have myths on dragons. Of course each culture ends up being influenced by another especially if one culture ends up being an extension or offshoot of the other.

By the way I think dragons are getting seriously short-changed here and its all because they're not cute or adorable. :(

I think they're cute!

Any things possible. who knows whats real or whats fake. an elf is like a human. just got pointy ears. and live a little longer.

I don't know much about the 'little people' but I do know that there are many different races of them such as kolbolds, brownies, lepreachans, knomes, fairies ect. They each have their own ways of life and usually when they interact with humans, we're the ones getting the short end of the stick. They're tricksters and can be cruel. They've been known to kidnap children, which is why if parents found a fae ring they'd have their children wear their clothes on backwards to confuse the fae so it couldn't kidnap them.

I believe Irland is also where the legend of the banshee came from... could be wrong about that though.

• Like 1

I don't know much about the 'little people' but I do know that there are many different races of them such as kolbolds, brownies, lepreachans, knomes, fairies ect. They each have their own ways of life and usually when they interact with humans, we're the ones getting the short end of the stick. They're tricksters and can be cruel. They've been known to kidnap children, which is why if parents found a fae ring they'd have their children wear their clothes on backwards to confuse the fae so it couldn't kidnap them.

Not sure how wearing clothes backwards would stop a kidnapping.

Faeries and other fay are said to sneak up on you from behind to play their games on you, wearing the cloths backwards was said to confuse them and thereby cause the wee folk to come at you from the front where you could see them coming. that way you could catch them and get whatever reward was available for said capture ( for example a lepricaun and the pot of gold. )

Almost every culture has the equivialent of faeries & gnomes and other supernatural creatures and dragons in their mythology,... to bad Dragons are not real I would love to ride one. I even went so far as to name my car the little green dragon in honor of all the myths about them.

Edited by mysticwerewolf

Have you heard that song by Sublime It goes like : I dont practice santaria , I dont got no crystal ball , but If I had a million dollars Id spend it all

Of course . Not a song I like a lot though .

We exist, so ergo, they most probably do too.

Are you... Are you serious?

By that logic God is a massive space chicken with tractors for eyes, enormous bowling pins for legs, speaks French and can dance like a mother****er.

We exist, so ergo, GIANT, DANCING, GOD SPACE-CHICKENS DO TOO!!!

Edited by Insignia
  • Like 1

I hope they look something like this :D

memole.jpg

Edited by Ninhursag