Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I Don't Believe in Fairies, BUT . . .

Still Waters

I believe Irland is also where the legend of the banshee came from... could be wrong about that though.

(from wiki)

The banshee: from the Irish bean sí [bʲæn ˈʃiː] ("woman of the sídhe" or "woman of the fairy mounds") is a feminine spirit in Irish mythology, usually seen as an omen of death and a messenger from the Otherworld.

In legend, a banshee is a fairy woman who begins to wail if someone is about to die. In Scottish mythology the creature is called the bean sìth or bean-nighe and is seen washing the blood stained clothes or armour of those who are about to die. Alleged sightings of banshees have been reported as recently as 1948.[1] Similar creatures are also found in Welsh,[2] Norse[3][4][5] and American folklore[citation needed], such as aos sí ("tumulus folk").

Back in 1967 (I was 14) we were all sitting down to dinner when my father suddenly went very still and got pale... A few moments later he got up from the table and went to his room... We were all wondering what had happened and if he was alright when the phone rang... It was one of his sisters calling to tell him his mother (my grandmother Mary Greene) had just passed away...

To the end of his life dad swore that he had heard a woman crying and moaning - we had heard nothing... So I've got sort of an open mind about some things like this...

Edited by Taun

I hope they look something like this :D

memole.jpg

Nearly..

Gay-pride-parade-fairy.jpg

• Like 2

Every time you say that there are no such things as fairies one of them dies.

Of course . Not a song I like a lot though .

Yeah its not a one I like that much

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x

(from wiki)

The banshee: from the Irish bean sí [bʲæn ˈʃiː] ("woman of the sídhe" or "woman of the fairy mounds") is a feminine spirit in Irish mythology, usually seen as an omen of death and a messenger from the Otherworld.

In legend, a banshee is a fairy woman who begins to wail if someone is about to die. In Scottish mythology the creature is called the bean sìth or bean-nighe and is seen washing the blood stained clothes or armour of those who are about to die. Alleged sightings of banshees have been reported as recently as 1948.[1] Similar creatures are also found in Welsh,[2] Norse[3][4][5] and American folklore[citation needed], such as aos sí ("tumulus folk").

Back in 1967 (I was 14) we were all sitting down to dinner when my father suddenly went very still and got pale... A few moments later he got up from the table and went to his room... We were all wondering what had happened and if he was alright when the phone rang... It was one of his sisters calling to tell him his mother (my grandmother Mary Greene) had just passed away...

To the end of his life dad swore that he had heard a woman crying and moaning - we had heard nothing... So I've got sort of an open mind about some things like this...

That's interesting, so banshees are a type of fae. Learn something new every day. :)

It's interesting that the Scottie banshee has similarities with the Morrigan who I believe is a Celtic goddess of war.

• Like 1

That's interesting, so banshees are a type of fae. Learn something new every day. :)

It's interesting that the Scottie banshee has similarities with the Morrigan who I believe is a Celtic goddess of war.

(again from wiki)

The Morrígan ("phantom queen") or Mórrígan ("great queen"), also written as Morrígu or in the plural as Morrígna, and spelt Morríghan or Mór-ríoghain in Modern Irish, is a figure from Irish mythology who appears to have been considered a goddess, although she is not explicitly referred to as such in the texts.

The Morrígan is a goddess of battle, strife, and sovereignty. She sometimes appears in the form of a crow, flying above the warriors, and in the Ulster cycle she also takes the form of an eel, a wolf and a cow. She is generally considered a war deity comparable with the Germanic Valkyries, although her association with a cow may also suggest a role connected with wealth and the land.

She is often depicted as a trio of goddesses, all sisters,[1][2][3] although membership of the triad varies; the most common combinations are Badb, Macha and Nemain,[4] or Badb, Macha and Anand; Anand is also given as an alternate name for Morrigu.[5] Other accounts name Fea, and others.

I have heard that the trio of goddesses were also collectively called The Babh (the bh at the end is a V sound) Consisting of Morrigu, Macha, and Niambh (pronounced Neeve I believe)... I suppose it depends on the part of Ireland you came from as to the make up of this group... It is also sometimes put forward that Morrigu was the inspiration for the Arthurian witch Morgan Le Fay...

(editted for spelling)

Edited by Taun

I meant to put in that Niamh is also listed as the daughter of Mannan Mac Lir and Fand(?) and not as a sister to the others in the Morrigna and has a prominent place outside of the Trio... So mythologically speaking she most likely was not considered part of them to the vast majority of people at the time...

I meant to put in that Niamh is also listed as the daughter of Mannan Mac Lir and Fand(?) and not as a sister to the others in the Morrigna and has a prominent place outside of the Trio... So mythologically speaking she most likely was not considered part of them to the vast majority of people at the time...

Taun, I herebye deem you Keeper of the Wiki Scrolls.

• Like 1

Taun, I herebye deem you Keeper of the Wiki Scrolls.

Irish myths are a hobby of mine, and as I was pressed for time I opted for the old wiki cut 'n paste rather than try to type it all out...

There is a song called faires wear boots by black sabbath

But back to topic fairies might be real.any body remember that pic that was taken

Back in the 1930s with the girl and the faires

• 1 month later...

There's a passage in the Bible that says something to the effect that "there are more things in heaven and earth that is known"

My belief, the older I get kind of upholds this, in that I've seen and heard things, that are not easily explainable and hence I come to UM to visit with others who might or might not have, seen and or heard of strange phenomenon.

actually i believe that is from shakespear "there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" I could be wrong on that however but i am pretty sure it is not from the bible.

So, I don't believe in fairies, but ... there are still a lot of strange things being encountered. Like.....

Ahh nice one.

You know you just killed a fairy don't you.

Why would people believe in little tiny humans. That's just silly.......

tgod-Lucia-Zarate5.jpg

But I have a good idea as to how the legend might have come about..........

• Like 1

The mighty Tuatha De Danann, stealers of childern. Scary things. There is a good book that looks at the myths and historical accounts of missing people and sightings dealing with fairies, trolls, ogers, dwarves, etc. very interesting. After reading it I believe there is something there, not sure what, but something.

"Caverns, Cauldrons, and Concealed Creatures" by William Michael Mott. the new expanded version is on his website, amazon has the old one.

I don't believe in fairs but I do beleive the phoneix myth was started in reality.

Of course fairies exist. Look at my avatar. Those are fairies. We all know that innocent teenage girls couldn't and wouldn't fake photos of fairies so they have to be real.

Apparently fairies are two dimensional.

• Like 1

actually i believe that is from shakespear "there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" I could be wrong on that however but i am pretty sure it is not from the bible.

Hamlet, Act I, Scene 5.

Fairies of the Earth unite, blight and with spite show your might!!! Ha ha ha ha!!!! :clap:

I Don't Believe in Fairies, BUT . . .they believe in you!!

I'd take the myths of old like goblins, faery's, dragons and wizards over the boring myths that have sprouted in the last 5000 years.

• 8 months later...