Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rocket explosion causes space debris worries

Waspie_Dwarf

Rocket explosion raises worries over space debris

A Russian Breeze M rocket stage, left with loaded fuel tanks after an August launch failure, exploded in orbit Oct. 16, raising concerns of the U.S. military, NASA and global satellite operators on the lookout for collision threats from hundreds of new space debris fragments.

The Breeze M stage violently disintegrated some time Oct. 16, dispersing debris in an arc around Earth encompassing orbital zones populated by the International Space Station and numerous communications, scientific, and military satellites.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Is there a field of Space Law? I think nations should be able to impose sanctions when a country continues using a design that endangers other systems.

I think nations should be able to impose sanctions when a country continues using a design that endangers other systems.

The Breeze M is not generally a problem, but this one malfunctioned. If you start heavily penalising accidents such as this you will destroy the commercial launch industry before it has got going. Who is going to follow in SpaceX's footsteps if the price of a single failure is bankruptcy?

• Like 1

What about all of the debris already up there? This explosion is hardly the first event to spread debris around up there.

Sounds like an opportunity to me for some company or another. Send a big ol' ship, designed for this purpose, maybe with magnets to get the metal debris but some other means to get all the other types of debris, to scoop up all the debris. All the nations that have traveled into space could pay them.