Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Maya demand an end to doomsday myth

Still Waters

Guatemala's Mayan people accused the government and tour groups on Wednesday of perpetuating the myth that their calendar foresees the imminent end of the world for monetary gain.

"We are speaking out against deceit, lies and twisting of the truth, and turning us into folklore-for-profit. They are not telling the truth about time cycles," charged Felipe Gomez, leader of the Maya alliance Oxlaljuj Ajpop. Several films and documentaries have promoted the idea that the ancient Mayan calendar predicts that doomsday is less than two months away, on December 21, 2012.

http://phys.org/news...msday-myth.html

• Like 3

I think the ancient Mayan predicted this would happen, too.

• Like 3

it will blow over soon enough, although i did hear that the date might be wrong and its in sixty years.

it will blow over soon enough, although i did hear that the date might be wrong and its in sixty years.

Great. Theres the get out clause right there.

Little late in the game to protest now. Maybe they should have started ten ...five...two .....one....years ago ?

It doesn't matter if the date is wrong because the Mayans never said anything about the end of the world. It's just the end of one B'ak'tun and the start of another. Just like our calendars go from December to January.

• Like 4

They should have thought of that sooner ..

It would be cool tho if doomsday really happened .. I wonder what would they have to say then :P

I wish them luck on this... but the nutcases have firm control of this 'prophecy' and once they get something - they hang onto until it dies, then they stuff it and mount it over the mantlepiece to be dragged out at a later date...

• Like 3

Just trying to deceive us so we'll be easier to be taken over by the killer trees... CONSPIRACIES EVERYWHERE MAN -sarcasm-

It isn't the end, and the Mayans know that. They know that the world will change though, soon. You'd be surprised what the cultures there do know about the world and what will happen.. Surprised they took so long to disclaim it.

• Like 1

I hope it does end on Dec 21st . My Electricity bill arrives on the 22nd .

• Like 1

I have heard that unlike the modern calendar the Maya did not add a leap day every four years, and therefore the "prophesy", by their reckoning of time keeping, has already taken place sometime back in 2011. So no worries.

Cheer up, folks!

The New Mayan Calendar features Kate Upton, Megan Fox and Adriana Lima. (It's doesn't foretell of an apocalypse but guarantees a half-decent climax)

• Like 2

My prediction is this: On December 22nd I will still have to show up at my crappy job.

• Like 1

I have been sayin this for years...and now its a bid deal!!!! lol, Its just a calander rotation and its supposably the estimated time for the polarities to swap.

Edited by MidKn13ght
  • Like 1

The world won't end the 21st cause it will be the 22nd in Australia. And if it's the 21st in Australia it will be the 20th on the other side of the planet. It all works out. LOL

• Like 2

In regards to the title of the thread, is it all the Maya or just some small activist group who are demanding this?

Cheer up, folks!

The New Mayan Calendar features Kate Upton, Megan Fox and Adriana Lima. (It's doesn't foretell of an apocalypse but guarantees a half-decent climax)

I would sacrifice myself to any of those three!

• Like 1

omg! thier was only 235 days in thier calender thier for ending doomsday in 1437???? Just doesn't work out, sorry, wat like big brother and politics aren't controlled?

omg! thier was only 235 days in thier calender thier for ending doomsday in 1437???? Just doesn't work out, sorry, wat like big brother and politics aren't controlled?

Now some of them are speaking out in Guatemala because they believe the country's government has been perpetuating the myth deliberately to encourage tourism.

Ahem..~*cough~* VATICAN ~*cough*~

Now some of them are speaking out in Guatemala because they believe the country's government has been perpetuating the myth deliberately to encourage tourism.

Ahem..~*cough~* VATICAN ~*cough*~

Kinda reminds me of that popular Cliche.."It's All About Money" :whistle: