Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

12-year-old Sues Parents After Drunk Driving

Keel M.

When I first clicked on this story on Yahoo, I assumed it would be somewhere here in the States that this had happened since everyone here is so quick to sue over any little thing. I was surprised to learn it is happening in Ireland.

After almost losing her life to her parents' poor judgment, a little girl has taken her family to task—and to court.

12-year-old Faith Carberry, of Longford, Ireland, filed a lawsuit against her parents, Mary Carberry and Tommy Varden, after sustaining severe injuries from a drunk driving accident caused by Carberry, driving a car purchased by Varden. On Wednesday, the liability suit was settled on undisclosed terms.

The accident occurred in November, 2007, when Faith was seven years old. Carberry was binge drinking and crashed her BMW into an embankment, killing Faith's sister Ava, 6, and Faith's' friend, Michaela Logan, 9. Michaela's brother John was also injured but, like Faith, survived the crash.

Full story

I think it shows disloyalty.

suing your parents is stupid. i don't care what the reason is, you should not be able to sue your family members.

i guess blood isn't thicker than money/

I like it actually. Her mother didn't show much loyalty to her family when she binged on alcohol and then drove.

• Like 7

Some people will sue a family member and then they split the money. That is what insurance is for, ya know?

• Like 2

People do sue family members so they can split the money, its called insurance fraud. People have been tricked into rear ending someone else just so they can sue. Good reason not to tale gate.

I don't think parents and children should be suing each other. If your a family work it out in private, get outside help but don't take each other to court.

Back in the 80's my favorite sister was killed by a drunk driver... Also in my sisters car were was her 8 year old daughter Kathy...

The drunk driver was not tested for blood alchohol at the scene and was only issued a ticket for driving without headlights on (the accident happened at 11PM on a dark night on a country highway)... The drunk driver was the wife of the County Commissioner so she was basically 'let go'...

The only way my sisters family could get any justice at all was for my neice (the only survivor in her car) to sue the woman (who was totally unhurt by the accident) but according to state law at the time she had to sue both parties to the accident... Then when it got to court the Judge threw out the case against my sister since (at that time) a child could not sue their parent...

A round about way to get some justice, but it did work...

Edited by Taun

I think the woman should of gotten more than 6 years since those other kids were killed. I don't think the father should of been sued, he had called social workers on her before and didn't have custody. It was her and her alone that decided to go pick up them kids after bar hopping.

I like it actually. Her mother didn't show much loyalty to her family when she binged on alcohol and then drove.

I agree. I was in an accident caused by my brother. My dad said I couldn't sue my brother because we were family...sure helps now that I am older and dealing with the results if my injuries to this day. If I could go back, I'd sue him for every cent.

• Like 2

I think it shows disloyalty.

What and killing your daughter, injuring your son and other daughter and killing your daughters friend because of drinking and driving (4 children in the car?!) is being loyal to your children?

Yeah don't think so.

suing your parents is stupid. i don't care what the reason is, you should not be able to sue your family members.

i guess blood isn't thicker than money/

Sorry but I disagree, the mother was binge drinking then drove with 4 children under 10 years old..... Killing 2 of them.

• Like 4

What and killing your daughter, injuring your son and other daughter and killing your daughters friend because of drinking and driving (4 children in the car?!) is being loyal to your children?

Yeah don't think so.

Sorry but I disagree, the mother was binge drinking then drove with 4 children under 10 years old..... Killing 2 of them.

I agree. Just because they are blood, they aren't to be held responsible? this kind of thinking has enabled the abusers throughout the ages to keep abusing. We need it to stop and maybe if this happens more and more they will actually learn a lesson.

• Like 3

Hopefully that will teach the childs parents to get their acts together. Getting "smashed" on alchohol makes you look like a big idiot, anyway. Great way to drop your IQ.

Yep, this was about insurance and lawyers lining their pockets. Are we really to believe that a twelve year thought this up herself after she severely injured herself and killed her siblings DRUNK DRIVING?

That makes it worse if this is about dollars and slick lawyers profiteering on a child's misery.

Unfortunately it can only strain the relationship with her parents further, she will likely regret it later, of course they are not good people, but who would want to trust any of that lot?

I favor rehabilitation and reconciliation, if not now in the future, litigation of this kind does not promote that.

an eye for an eye... it's as old as the old testament.... no justice will result in suing a family member... only drama and misery will follow