Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who Experiences Tomorrow's Hangover?

Golly Buster

Tonight you're going to lick, sip and suck your brains out, but before you do, I have a question I've been meaning to ask...

Who will feel tomorrow morning's headache?

Is it YOU that is going to be suspended in the throbbing, nauseous sea of that tequila hangover?

Or is someone else destined to feel that pain?

Is that FUTURE YOU's problem, not yours?

How does all this work?

Edited by Golly Buster

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Golly Buster

• Clarakore

• Ninhursag

• theworldneeds2know

i only drink for the hang overs. best feeling ever. lol just kidding haha

Huh .. That's a weird question ..

I think it's MY problem, since I decided to drink tonight and I'm very well aware I might have a bad hangover the morning after .. So if I drink, knowing that tomorrow I'll feel poorly, but I decide to do it ANYWAY and therefore accept all the consequences that drinking might bring, it is entirely MY problem .. I don't see whose else would it be ..

Huh .. That's a weird question ..

I think it's MY problem, since I decided to drink tonight and I'm very well aware I might have a bad hangover the morning after .. So if I drink, knowing that tomorrow I'll feel poorly, but I decide to do it ANYWAY and therefore accept all the consequences that drinking might bring, it is entirely MY problem .. I don't see whose else would it be ..

Well what I'm specifically wondering about, I guess, is why HANGOVER YOU allows PARTYGIRL YOU to cause her so much pain.

HANGOVER YOU doesn't enjoy the night out, doesn't experience all the pleasure of the alcohol and the debauchery, she just gets given by PARTYGIRL YOU a pounding headache and a general sense of seediness and shame.

PARTYGIRL YOU doesn't exist when you're HANGOVER YOU, and you sort of think PARTYGIRL YOU was a complete b**** for leaving you with this mess, but sooner or later you'll no longer be HANGOVER YOU and PARTYGIRL is just around the corner again, ready to have her fun and to hell with the consequences.

Does PARTYGIRL YOU genuinely believe that HANGOVER YOU is a different person?

Edited by Golly Buster

Oh my, you have complicated this to the maximum haven't you?! :cry:

It's so simple: people like to drink more than they hate hangovers. End of.

The choice is between doing something for instant gratification, take instant payout, break the rules for fun, drink more than a social drinker would vs having to face an adverse reaction later, get less of a profit, get punished, have a hangover. Some people have parts of their mind that are normal so the decision is easier for them. Others have areas which do not work the same and thus their "willpower" is said to be weaker.

Search "delayed rewards" if truly interested.

Researchers already know that alcohol dependence (AD) is strongly associated with impaired impulse control or, more precisely, the inability to choose large, delayed rewards rather than smaller but more immediate rewards. Findings from a study using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to investigate the neural basis of impulsive choice among individuals with alcohol use disorders (AUDs) suggest that impulsive choice in AD may be the result of functional anomalies in widely distributed but interconnected brain regions that are involved in cognitive and emotional control.

Results will be published in the July 2011 issue of Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research and are currently available at Early View.

“Individuals with AD score higher on questionnaires
that measure impulsivity – for example, ‘I act without thinking’ – are less 
able to delay gratification, and are less able to inhibit responses,” said Eric D. Claus, a research scientist with The Mind Research Network and first author of the study.

Given that impulsive choice in AUDs has been associated with impairment of
 frontal cortical systems involved in behavioral control, Claus explained, this study was designed to examine the neural correlates of one specific aspect of 
impulsivity, the ability to delay immediate gratification and instead 
choose rewards in the future.

http://www.bmedreport.com/archives/26488

The choice is between doing something for instant gratification, take instant payout, break the rules for fun, drink more than a social drinker would vs having to face an adverse reaction later, get less of a profit, get punished, have a hangover. Some people have parts of their mind that are normal so the decision is easier for them. Others have areas which do not work the same and thus their "willpower" is said to be weaker.

Search "delayed rewards" if truly interested.

Thanks, it sounds like there's some interesting research being done on this.

But to some extent, aren't we all the self-inflicted victims of the "Future Spike" syndrome (see Hasina's clip above)?

Spike guzzles down the ice cream because he thinks the inevitable stomach ache will be Future Spike's problem. When the stomach ache arrives he realises that now he is Future Spike.

We ignore our own inevitable death because we think that the painful, frightening experience of dying will be the problem of some 'other' person, a 'Future Me', not appreciating that sooner or later we are going to be the one doing the actual dying. It might as well be happening right now.

Edited by Golly Buster

Unfortunately, when people drink they do not think of their problems or they want to forget their problems. Drinking somehow is a tool to just drift away and temporary forget all issues one is having.

Ya drinking is an escape tool.