Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Showdown bid to give UN control of Internet

Still Waters

Speaking from a free country, like we do, I agree. But for people from countries that live under repressive governments, maybe it might 'free it up' more.I don't know right now. I'll have to find out more about it before I'll give an opinion in favour/or not.

Edited to add 20 minutes later: Russia, China and a half dozen Arab states back this... That's not good.

It would only work, if it made the internet more open. This will end in a stalemate.

I don't know maybe we need a world wide plebicite, or maybe we can just let Switzerland decide.

Likely to be a stalemate between the UN and the entire world. Good luck censoring it, we have some the best hackers in this country, and many of them are under 16 and very creative about how they get around blocks and how they hide themselves. This may change everything.

Sorry man, since the internet's inventor Al Gore is American, you'll just have to suck it up. :D

.... you're kidding right?

Don't forget to mention Robert Cailliau, a Belgian computer scientist.

They, together, invented the WWW...which ppl now think is equal to the internet.

Well, there are lots of people who had their fingers in it, from the Austrian mathematician who invented binary math in the 1800s over some Polish mathematicians who created the RPN to the Department of Defense as without its Arpanet it would have never been feasible to start the internet. But the internet has grown far beyond the Arpanet and over 98% of it belongs to all kind of telephone companies all over the world, and I can understand that these companies want a neutral organization with their own national representatives to control their assets, not some bureaucracy in Washington.

• Like 1

Don't forget to mention Robert Cailliau, a Belgian computer scientist.

They, together, invented the WWW...which ppl now think is equal to the internet.

Yes sorry that is true, also from wikipedia:

with the help of Robert Cailliau and a young student at CERN

So that unnamed student needs recognition as well. lol

Anyway the main point is it wasn't an American.