Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Disney buys Lucasfilm for 4 Billion

Imaginarynumber1

Looks like there will be a lot more Star Wars films coming for those of you that are fans.

After acquiring Marvel for $4 billion, the news has broken that Disney are set to pay almost the exact same amount for LucasFilm, ushering in a new era of Star Wars movies, starting with "Episode 7" in 2015.

Read more at http://www.comicbook...R7KYgKACLdGk.99

Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas. Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.

Read more at http://www.comicbook...R7KYgKACLdGk.99

this may be a good thing - Disney does make good films aimed squarely at the family market. And they'll hire a director not afraid tosay "George, p*** off".

• Like 2

Why mess with classics? I havn't seen Star Wars 2&3- after the disaster of 1 I wasn't going to waste my time.

this may be a good thing - Disney does make good films aimed squarely at the family market. And they'll hire a director not afraid tosay "George, p*** off".

They've done quite well with both Pixar and Marvel properties, so this could turn out well.

Why mess with classics? I havn't seen Star Wars 2&3- after the disaster of 1 I wasn't going to waste my time.

The one who is responsible for those piles for feces would only be a creative consultant. Ol' George won't be doing anymore directing, it would seem.

Maybe they will improve on Star Wars and give it a fresh approach.

This is great news if you ask me.

Can't wait to see what they do with the franchise. :)

I agree (didn't George originally plan 9?). Kinda want them to base the films loosely on the books.

:D

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2

I was gonna rant and rave about how stupid this was then I figured 'oh yeah, I don't have to watch them if I don't want to'. So I'm pretty 'meh' on the subject, will be interesting to see if these movies differ from the books that have been published about what happens after the main trilogy.

I agree (didn't George originally plan 9?). Kinda want them to base the films loosely on the books.

:D

I would love it if they based the next few movies off the books. I've always wanted to see Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy on the big screen. I'd be find with them recasting the leads, too. Ford is the only one who looks half descent. Except that damn earring....

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

Episodes 7, 8 and 9 - the films George Lucas said weren't going to happen because he originally envisaged the series to be six movies despite saying back in the late 70s or early 80s that it was meant to be nine films, after having previously said that it was only meant to be three. Then six. Then nine.

Lucas is completely full of **** of course - he makes this crap up as he goes despite trying to project an image of himself as some master visionary.

What will this sale mean for the Star Wars TV series that has been in development for several years?

More importantly - who cares?????? :D

They'll probably put Johnny Depp in it.

Christian Bale - Denzel Washington - Jessica Alba - Mark Hamill - Carrie Fisher - Anthony Daniels - Kenny Baker - Peter Mayhew

Edited by Golly Buster

I would love it if they based the next few movies off the books. I've always wanted to see Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy on the big screen. I'd be find with them recasting the leads, too. Ford is the only one who looks half descent. Except that damn earring....

There's no way that they can reboot the series using the original actors at this point. It will be very interesting to see what comes though, and despite the naysaying of Golly Buster, I do care. Star Wars was an iconic part of my childhood.

• Like 2

There's no way that they can reboot the series using the original actors at this point. It will be very interesting to see what comes though, and despite the naysaying of Golly Buster, I do care. Star Wars was an iconic part of my childhood.

I couldn't have cared what they did with Star Wars before, but after this news I am really interested. It could be awesome.

Mine too Boony, fact is I hope they respect the stature it has acquired amongst fans and don't make cheap "b" grade special effects tele-series out of the Star Wars Universe. That would be annoying especially if they go all "Beverley Hills 90210 meets Darth Vader" aka: wet behind the ears young actors with raging hormones playing "heroes", like they did with Stargate Universe's plot lines. :td:<_<

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 1

As someone who's read like half of the gazillion Star Wars books that have been put out, and having been a Gaming Gm for a d20 Star Wars roleplaying game for like 4 years, I know a lot about this subject. Probably too much.

The article I read said that George was going to start writing scripts, which I hope means any old ones he has are tossed out.

My hope would be that the films are based on the adult life of Ben Skywalker, Lukes son, and Jacen Solo, Lukes Nephew, who becomes a Sith Lord and Emperor. Lots of young people involved. Lots of Sith. Lots of Jedi. Lots of battle scenes. Almost all the old characters are dead or retired by this point in the timeline. Maybe making camo appearances in wheel chairs or lying in a bed...

I hope it is not just more Luke, Leia, Han and Chewy.

Maybe just 3 movies about R2D2 and C3PO?

• Like 2

As someone who's read like half of the gazillion Star Wars books that have been put out, and having been a Gaming Gm for a d20 Star Wars roleplaying game for like 4 years, I know a lot about this subject. Probably too much.

The article I read said that George was going to start writing scripts, which I hope means any old ones he has are tossed out.

My hope would be that the films are based on the adult life of Ben Skywalker, Lukes son, and Jacen Solo, Lukes Nephew, who becomes a Sith Lord and Emperor. Lots of young people involved. Lots of Sith. Lots of Jedi. Lots of battle scenes. Almost all the old characters are dead or retired by this point in the timeline. Maybe making camo appearances in wheel chairs or lying in a bed...

I hope it is not just more Luke, Leia, Han and Chewy.

Maybe just 3 movies about R2D2 and C3PO?

This is also exactly where I want the story to take off. Forget about the fact they could use the same actors for a second (which would be great), the Jacen story was far more epic than any other in the entire series (I haven't read the Thrawn Trilogy though).

Can't believe I need to wait another year for the next in the timeline... :(

Episodes 7, 8 and 9 - the films George Lucas said weren't going to happen because he originally envisaged the series to be six movies despite saying back in the late 70s or early 80s that it was meant to be nine films, after having previously said that it was only meant to be three. Then six. Then nine.

Lucas is completely full of **** of course - he makes this crap up as he goes despite trying to project an image of himself as some master visionary.

What will this sale mean for the Star Wars TV series that has been in development for several years?

More importantly - who cares?????? :D

Back in the day I recall the Journal of the Whills was originally 12 parts, then 9... I doubt the 'missing parts' will see the light of day, I guess it'll be new franchise stories.

Mind you, I did have a dream last week where I was on set as a Sith Lord opposite a middle-age Ewan McGregor Obi Wan - so that must be episode 3.5-ish

but it shouldn't be about the flaming family market! The "family market" is what gave us Jar Jar bloody Binks! The family market will give us Disney tweeness and cutesiness. Lucas got away with cutsiness in the form of R2D2 originally, but look what happened when he tried to go for the family market! It should be squarely about sci fi geeks!

Edited by 747400

Sounds like Lucas needs to get himself into politics. :D

I just hope that if Disney ends up making more Star Wars films that they don't end up all Goofy.

Edited by BiffSplitkins

I just hope that if Disney ends up making more Star Wars films that they don't end up all Goofy.

That was my worry when I first heard the news.

• Like 1

but it shouldn't be about the flaming family market! The "family market" is what gave us Jar Jar bloody Binks! The family market will give us Disney tweeness and cutesiness. Lucas got away with cutsiness in the form of R2D2 originally, but look what happened when he tried to go for the family market! It should be squarely about sci fi geeks!

I wouldn't worry too much about cuteness. Disney have shown that they can make good films, without silly gimmicks. Have you seen John Carter? I thought that film was great. One of the best sci fi films I've seen in a very long time.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much about cuteness. Disney have shown that they can make good films, without silly gimmicks. Have you seen John Carter? I thought that film was great. One of the best sci fi films I've seen in a very long time.

John Carter = Excellent movie - crappy marketing...

• Like 1

There was another story out today saying that an inside source has confirmed that the new films will NOT be the Thrawn Trilogy. They said they will be all new stories and that Disney is looking to take an Avengers style approach, with spin off films for characters.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=69464