Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Capturing the best EVP's

Young Medium

hi guys, i am a medium so i know what its like to see and speak to ghosts. but ive always been really keen on proving it to others. i have recently bought an Olympus WS-110 digital voice recoreder and think capturing EVP's is the next step for our investigations with my team... just theres that many settings.. whats the best for capturing an EVP?

hi guys, i am a medium so i know what its like to see and speak to ghosts. but ive always been really keen on proving it to others. i have recently bought an Olympus WS-110 digital voice recoreder and think capturing EVP's is the next step for our investigations with my team... just theres that many settings.. whats the best for capturing an EVP?

I've noticed that the best EVPs are always the ones where you make sure to insert them in a video so that you can sync captions up with them, otherwise they don't sound like anything at all.... Cheers!

• Like 3

I've tried capturing EVP's too but have a hard time distinguishing if anything's being said. I don't have the professional filters that the paranormal enthusists have.

Hoping someone experienced with this sort of thing posts. I'd like to know more about this too.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

I've seen a ghost too.

Good luck on getting something.

• Like 1

thing is i have been on numerous investigtions.. i am going on one tommorow actually. i have video evidence of EMF meters going off unexplained, ive captured loud deep breaths unexplained, pictures etc. ive had info given by my spirit gude which has been 100% accurate and scared myself doing so but ive always wanted to hear them actually speaking, now i have purchaced a DVR i dont know how to use it the best way possible...

My only goal is to capture the best evidence i can and let other people decide if they want to belive it or not... also to try explain to people what they think they may be experiencing

• Like 1

I find you need to ensure that there's something that can cause fluctuations in the static nearby, but safely out of shot when you record it for TV.

• Like 2

I would say the least sensitive setting possible, otherwise you might catch too much background noise

In the manual i have these options:

Recording Modes:

HQ- High Quality

SP- Standard recording

LP- Long term, low quality

Mic Sensitivity:

hi or low

Voice actuator

low cut filter:

on or off

so whats what? and also does the playback speed make a difference?

I find you need to ensure that there's something that can cause fluctuations in the static nearby, but safely out of shot when you record it for TV.

being in the middle of a supposed haunted forest with sceptic on hand and a equipment engineer both could neither explain it... but like i said, im not trying to persuade im trying to prove...

Never understood evps. When I was in the active house, we heard all types of noises, but at that time were too scared to record them. I think whatever is making noises will make them so you can hear them, because they want you to hear them to scare you. In the investigation or experience people hear nothing but yet replay the recording medium and they hear something. Maybe its interference radio, microwave, earth resonation...?

This is my opinion and I've never been to a ghost investigation and only speak through experience.

Edited by Spky777

In the manual i have these options:

Recording Modes:

HQ- High Quality

SP- Standard recording

LP- Long term, low quality

Mic Sensitivity:

hi or low

Voice actuator

low cut filter:

on or off

so whats what? and also does the playback speed make a difference?

I don't know about all that, but I know for taking and fine-tuning audio, a good audio editing program is worth as much as the recorder itself. Audacity is a decent free one, but I haven't really dived into its features. It does seem to have a good array of them. If there's some kind of editing that can possibly be done to a recording, that program can likely do it. I do know it's got a good audio recording volume raiser. That, mixed with a background noise cleaner (which it also has) might work nicely for what you're trying to do.

Good luck trying to look for proof. That's admirable and sounds like a lot of fun. And feel free to take the naysaying sarcastic replies with the same size grain of salt they take your thread with. It's only fair.

Edited by _Only
  • Like 2

I will add the evidence to my profile on hear when i get it for those of you who are interested :D thanks for your posts guys

Use the LP setting (long play), that way it picks up all the internal "circuit" noise of the recorder...

This is claimed to be used by the spirit for their voice (white noise)....

You want the Microphone setting to be on High....their voices are weak.

You Do NOT want to use any "filtering" while you record...after during playback is fine to use filtering.

Use NO Voice Activation...it causes to much voice clipping and the EVP voices are mostly weak anyway (there are some exceptions).

I use the Panasonic RR-DR60 and/or Sony ICD-B7 or ICD-B300 with lots of success....

I have "hundreds" of voices.

It took me about 10 days to get my first voice...and it takes time to "learn" how to hear their voices clearly...

I use 3 minutes as a rule during my recording sessions, that way during playback there is no fatigue while listening for voices of the spirit...

But I always make more than 1 recording in this same place....

Ask a question and then give them about 15 seconds to answer the question before moving on to the next.

*I have a couple of the Olympus WS-100 voice recorders also...

along with MANY others...just "too many" to give them all a fair chance at recording.

I do know that the WS-100 is able to record and listen in real time...just connect a pair of headphones to listen while recording :-)

Is is possible that you might get a "real-time" recording...........

Registered just so I could post this message.

The file I uploaded "tomorrow let you know" was my FIRST EVP Capture (after that I started getting many).

tomorrow_let_you_know_evp.mp3

Edited by clockdryve
  • Like 1

Ooops....I just now notice that you have the WS-110 recorder and NOT the WS-100 that have "live-recording" feature...

But Both recorders look very simular so they MIGHT have the same feature.

I couldn't find anything quickly on the internet....

Might try the headphones...just incase ;-)

Use the LP setting (long play), that way it picks up all the internal "circuit" noise of the recorder...

This is claimed to be used by the spirit for their voice (white noise)....

You want the Microphone setting to be on High....their voices are weak.

You Do NOT want to use any "filtering" while you record...after during playback is fine to use filtering.

Use NO Voice Activation...it causes to much voice clipping and the EVP voices are mostly weak anyway (there are some exceptions).

I use the Panasonic RR-DR60 and/or Sony ICD-B7 or ICD-B300 with lots of success....

I have "hundreds" of voices.

It took me about 10 days to get my first voice...and it takes time to "learn" how to hear their voices clearly...

I use 3 minutes as a rule during my recording sessions, that way during playback there is no fatigue while listening for voices of the spirit...

But I always make more than 1 recording in this same place....

Ask a question and then give them about 15 seconds to answer the question before moving on to the next.

*I have a couple of the Olympus WS-100 voice recorders also...

along with MANY others...just "too many" to give them all a fair chance at recording.

I do know that the WS-100 is able to record and listen in real time...just connect a pair of headphones to listen while recording :-)

Is is possible that you might get a "real-time" recording...........

Registered just so I could post this message.

The file I uploaded "tomorrow let you know" was my FIRST EVP Capture (after that I started getting many).

wow this is amazing and thanks for the feedback its helped, i have already captured a couple of EVPs... you get a real rush from them its brilliant. thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Audacity is the program our group uses to clean up and filter our evp's it has a free version . We also only filter and work with a copy of the recording. Just encase you happen to mess up and delete something.

moving the recorder or carrying it causes alot of noise so does wind. To eliminate this we use external microphones with wind screens and clip them to out shirt collar or hat

So, how do you eliminate the pareidolia-like effect that is caused by simple random coincidental sounds? What system do you use as a 'null' or 'control' to test the validity of what you are doing?

If you don't understand those terms and why they are not just important but essential... well.. maybe you should.

When I see a paranormal 'investigator' take this subject seriously, I'll get interested.

We take an noise sample as as apart of our slate so that can be removed

We also have everyone pressant talk in the slate to get voice samples

Audacity is the program our group uses to clean up and filter our evp's it has a free version . We also only filter and work with a copy of the recording. Just encase you happen to mess up and delete something.

moving the recorder or carrying it causes alot of noise so does wind. To eliminate this we use external microphones with wind screens and clip them to out shirt collar or hat

You might be interested in this software, if you can find it.

Clear Voice Denoiser SDK

Type of processing:

Continuous and adaptive removal of background noise from speech. Programmable noise reduction parameters. Hiss and rumble additional filters, frequency response forming filter.

The system is implemented as a pre-processing subroutine call, it processes sound signals in digital PCM 16 bit format and is intended to remove automatically additive noise from an input signal with minimal reduction in signal quality. Useful signal (like speech) is automatically separated from background slow varying noise. The types of cancelled noise are: slow varying in amplitude and frequency properties broadband coloured white noise in sum with narrow band harmonics varying in amplitude and frequency such as, for example, office noise, street noise, car noise, hiss and hum in communication channels, noise of home and industrial equipment, slow music, etc. The rate of noise variation in time must be less than the speed of speech (or other useful signal to be retained in processed signal). The procedure is self-adjusting but the controls of the system give to the advanced user an opportunity to fine-tune the system by choosing the best degree of noise reduction.

Important features:

Up to 30 dB signal-to-noise improvement

Single tone reduction: > 50 dB

White noise reduction: > 20 dB

Selectable frequency banwidth up to S audio sampling rate

Does anyone know how the recorder picks up the spirits? I have evp's that are loud but no one heard them while recording so im assuming its not sound waves. I tried using a coil of wire in the mic port a few times. Got the humming of electric lines and a digital sound from a passing train lol. No evp's.

• 3 weeks later...

Take one digital and one analog recorder. If the EVP only shows up on one then toss it. Try a faraday cage as well. I am with the EVP's are wishful thinking crowd. It is too easy to eliminate errors and yet it seems (at least what I have seen and heard) no one is truly serious about it. I guess it would not be as much fun if it weren't real and certainly would not sell.

• 2 weeks later...