Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UM-Bot

Halloween: a history

5 posts in this topic

Taylor Reints: Halloween is an observance that exemplifies the meaning of fear. On this day, millions of children will dress their scariest, hoping to get a taste of candy. But where exactly did Halloween come from? Perhaps the oldest record of a holiday similar to Halloween was practiced by the Celts in an event called Samhain. According to the Celtic calendar, the beginning of the year started on November 1. They believed that on October 31 and November 1, the door to the netherworld opened, allowing the spirits of the dead to return to Earth. The Celts celebrated with a large festival and feast.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article
1 person likes this

Nice read, Happy Samhain!

Edited by WGH
2 people like this

I remember when I was a kid, my very Irish grandpa always telling my brother and I about Stingy Jack around Halloween. That brought back some nice memories, thanks for the article!

Thanks for you thoughts!

Ahhh I love the bit with the jack-o-lantern! Fist year i made one and it wasn't smashed into little bits! shame to all you pumpkin smashers! Thanks for a wonderful read!

1 person likes this