Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Singing Sand Dunes Explained

Still Waters

When Marco Polo heard it in China, he suspected evil spirits. When residents of Copiapo, Chile, heard it emanating from a sandy hill, they dubbed the peak El Bramador, for its roars and bellows.

Scientists today call it "singing sand," but they're all referring to the same thing: As sand grains shuffle down the slopes of certain sand dunes, they produce a deep, groaning hum that reverberates for miles.

But how these dunes produce this "music" remains a much debated mystery. Another vexing question is why different dunes sing different tunes—and how can some even sing more than one note at a time?

http://news.national...ence-whistling/

• Like 1

That would be something I would like to see or hear rather.

With the correct placement of various-size windbreaks you can create tunes . My all-time best is White Christmas .

Dang, that would irritate the hell out of me.

No wonder they wrap their heads in cloths.

Edited by pallidin

I thought the sand hummed because it didn't know the words?

• Like 1

I can rest in peace knowing rocks can sing.

Uh, I mean ring.

they can move across the ground by themselves too...:P

I've heard trees whistle. But then I guess that was the wind blowing through them. lol

Just last week we had a cyclonic depression and winds at 45-60 kmph were blowing, all trees were swaying and when the windows were closed, somewhere through a small hole the winds were comming and making a whispering noise,, wooooooooooiiimmmmmmmmmmmmmm like that, my mom listened it and even i listened it, i then immediately thought of EVPs

I don't blame them for thinking the sounds were connected with evil spirits... eerie!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...