Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghostly apparitions the result of time slips?

Still Waters

Humanity’s interpretation of the appearance of what we call “ghosts” has largely remained constant throughout history.

In general terms, when the apparent apparition of a person who is, for lack of a better term, “temporally misplaced” occurs (i.e. the apparition appears to be a deceased individual), we presume that what we’ve seen is a spirit, likely stemming from some energetic presence that emanates from the disembodied soul of of a once-living person. Thus, our study of such temporal apparitions has remained what we call “supernatural,” and attempts at communicating with ghosts most often fall under the categorization of conversation with “the spirit world” or “the other side.”

http://micahhanks.co...ange-phenomena/

• Like 2

Could be. After all it is just a jump to the left and a step to the rriiigghhtttt.

• Like 4

It actually seems more of a possibility than ghosts being 'spirits'.

• Like 1

This is interesting. I did cheat a bit and found myself skimming the page as I was getting a little lost in this one :blush: .

The theory put forward would explain why ghost buses and ships are sometimes seen though, and that's something I've thought about when reading 'ghost stories'. Also the times when people see a ghost of someone who is still alive etc. And why some are dressed in their natty Sunday best, whilst others are dagging around in nightgowns and bare feet. Good stuff to mull over, thanks S.W. :tu:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

As a rule of thumb, I would suggest that an apparition seen within the context of its original environment could well be a time slip, whereas seen as an isolated figure within the modern environment it is more likely to be either a "spirit" or a residual memory (stone tape theory).