Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Do Grammar Mistakes Upset People?

Kazoo

I'm not talking about smart asses or people who are being witty correcting the grammar of others.

I'm talking about people who just get angry and feel the irrational need to correct everything to the point it upsets them. Why is this? Is it some form of OCD? Maybe bad grammar symbolizes a sort of disrespect?

I'm not trying to be smart like "lul grammar nazi stupid". I'm seriously curious why.

• Like 1

I will admit, poor grammar bugs me. I don't get upset about it, and I don't correct others on it (unless it's my children). I don't know why it bugs me so much. I think I can blame Mrs. Palmer, my senior year english teacher. She drilled all of that into our heads.

I have seen some people get downright rude to others on internet forums over grammar, and honestly, they over react. It might be annoying but it is certainly not that big of a deal.

• Like 1

grammar isn't as big a deal to me as a message filled with simple spelling errors.

it's one thing to have a few typos, or spell a word or two wrong here and there, but illiteracy is a major problem that is being swept under the rug - not just on the internet, but in all aspects of life.

that is why it bothers me as much as it does.

i understand completely that english is not everyone's first language, and i am not referring to those people.

• Like 9

People have selfesteem issues and feel better about themselves to point out others faults. Grammer happens to be the most noticeable. Noone is perfect yet everyone is held to that standard.. :rofl:

• Like 3

I will admit, poor grammar bugs me. I don't get upset about it, and I don't correct others on it (unless it's my children). I don't know why it bugs me so much.

Probably because written word is a form of communication, and whenever someone has to do extra work (however small) to understand someone else's communication, it bothers them (to varying degrees).

• Like 4

People have selfesteem issues and feel better about themselves to point out others faults. Grammer happens to be the most noticeable. Noone is perfect yet everyone is held to that standard.. :rofl:

Sorry, that sounds nice, but it honestly bothers me when I read a 10 sentence paragraph with no punctuation to break up the sentences, and I say nothing about it, to not be rude. No self esteem involved. It just bugs me.

• Like 2

Sorry, that sounds nice, but it honestly bothers me when I read a 10 sentence paragraph with no punctuation to break up the sentences, and I say nothing about it, to not be rude. No self esteem involved. It just bugs me.

When I come across something like that, I just don't read it.

My ADD and dyslexia combined can't seem to handle it.

• Like 2

When I come across something like that, I just don't read it.

My ADD and dyslexia combined can't seem to handle it.

I read it, but find myself reading it in a hurried kid's voice who is speaking without taking a breath, in my head. Written communication is a funny thing.

• Like 2

Poor grammar bother me too. It can reduce someone's ability to comminucate effectively in writing. I don't it point it out much and have never done that in this forum. It's taught in grade school and I would have thought everyone learned it there. For instance in English when you make a noun plural you add the letter s, no apostrophe. All the time you see people adding apostrophes when they are making a noun plural instead of just the letter s. Adding an apostrophe means that is the possessive form of the noun, not the plural form. When I see that I think 'What did this person do all those years in school'. They had to have come across this a few times. When I was in school you had to take an English class every year 1st through 10th grade. Most people had one in junior and senior years too. If some one didn't learn something as simple as that all the years they were in school then I have to wonder about their ability to learn.

• Like 3

This is what I'm talking about. I find it particuraly weird. Not to single you out. But alot of perfectly nice people are bothered by it. I find it strange.

My prefer use of periods and lack of comma's probably bother alot of you. (the sentences above are perfect examples)

But WHY? I find it extremely strange how easy people look over the faults of another on the internet and real life. But then the person makes a grammar mistake and "No. This bothers me."

But WHY? I find it extremely strange how easy people look over the faults of another on the internet and real life. But then the person makes a grammar mistake and "No. This bothers me."

i mentioned why in my earlier post:

...but illiteracy is a major problem that is being swept under the rug - not just on the internet, but in all aspects of life.

i think this is a very valid reason for being bothered by it. how is it that you don't understand that?

• Like 4

I also explained why it slightly bothers me. I'm not going to mention looking over faults of others in choice of my stand against poor grammar, because I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I am not joking when I say that I have stopped pursuing a couple of girls I've been interested in because of their grammar.

Does that make me a bad person?

Edit: I don't usually make mention of grammar in here because we have a broad mix of people who don't necessarily use English as their first language and I'm sure I make mistakes too. (Although if someone writes a horrendous post I might mention it in a 'niceish' way)

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 1

I am not joking when I say that I have stopped pursuing a couple of girls I've been interested in because of their grammar.

Does that make me a bad person?

Edit: I don't usually make mention of grammar in here because we have a broad mix of people who don't necessarily use English as their first language and I'm sure I make mistakes too. (Although if someone writes a horrendous post I might mention it in a 'niceish' way)

No. It doesn't make you a bad person. What you said wasn't even related to this forum. No one should take offense to what you said.

Regarding grammar, someone recently corrected someone else on the US politics thread and said that the election wasn't a 'shoe in', it was a 'shoo inn', and correctly so.

They said that it was their inner pedant that made them say that. That was so polite and commendable.

• Like 1

Grandma doesn't bother me but poor punctuation does because I think it's a sign of laziness however it could be that people don't know any better but I'm not sure....ya get me?

• Like 1

Language is fluid. Don't make dams.

Edited by Likely Guy

I know this is spelling but I especially hate when people 'rite lyk dis'

About grammar, I agree with the others. Just makes it difficult to read, especially when they don't use periods.

• Like 2

I know this is spelling but I especially hate when people 'rite lyk dis'

About grammar, I agree with the others. Just makes it difficult to read, especially when they don't use periods.

How do women use their periods to help us better comprehend what they write?

Edit: Grammatical error.

Edited by Timonthy

Grandma doesn't bother me but poor punctuation does because I think it's a sign of laziness however it could be that people don't know any better but I'm not sure....ya get me?

I tend to over punctuate.

It's like JGirl pointed out; illiteracy is being ignored, especially in the US. On these forums it's not such a big deal because a lot of members are not native English speakers.

Somebody who is, however, should understand the difference between your and you're, their, there, and they're, it, it's, etc.

Mistakes will occur, of course. I'm guilty of that as well, but to willfully disregard and butcher your language "Cuz internetz kool", is just stupid. It makes people look stupid and I, for one, don't even pay attention to what they're saying. If you have a point to make, the least you can do is know how to properly address that point. Succinctly and eloquently, too, if I had my way.

These are things that people should have learned in grade/primary school. It speaks to a larger failing of standardized education.

• Like 6

How do women use their periods to help us better comprehend what they write?

Edit: Grammatical error.

They find a way. :yes:

• Like 1

Some people overreact and try to pay attention to grammar errors particularly. Some think that knowledge over Language makes them superior. Some will try to hold something against you that doesn't make any sence. But - some people are sent as our correctors. It is good to have good Grammar, but it is not essential all of the time.

• Like 3

Some people overreact and try to pay attention to grammar errors particularly. Some think that knowledge over Language makes them superior. Some will try to hold something against you that doesn't make any sence. But - some people are sent as our correctors. It is good to have good Grammar, but it is not essential all of the time.

Sence or sense? Sorry... This thread made me do it!!

I agree with your post 100%.

Edit: Please initiate checking every post I've made for errors!!!!

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 2