Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Do Grammar Mistakes Upset People?

Kazoo

D: The newly formed internet jargon of abrreviations, fine if you are using a phone, but how many of you have had to google what it means? I know I have to!

4COL ;S

Yeah I know what you mean.....

'Upsets'? No.

'Depresses'? Yes.

It's sad that many people seem to no longer care about the correct use of language. I guess I'm just old-fashioned and like to see 'word-crafters' using the language accurately and correctly. I try (and probably fail) to emulate them and improve my own efforts...

Just as when I drive I try to not get in the way of others, position my car properly, read the traffic ahead, not tailgate or subject my passengers to needless g-forces.. When I cook, I try to make the food not only taste better than the last time I made that dish, but present it attractively, rather than just lazily slap it onto the plate. In my work I read (and critique/reject..) many documents - from management procedures to presentations, from scientific reports / analyses to doctoral theses.. Apart from the content, if any of those contain poor grammar and/or spelling mistakes, they may be open to misinterpretation and look ridiculous .. and will likely be sent back for correction..

It's all about good communication and pride in your work/language.

PS - perhaps contrary to the above, I do find some of the new 'techniques' useful - for example, when confronted with a 'wall of text', TL;DR works nicely, I think..

• Like 3

4COL ;S

Yeah I know what you mean.....

Had to google this....came up with: Parker 4 CLO-S Male ORFS to Female NPT Pipe Elbow Adapter

Too technical for me! I`m out!

Haha...I had to google it myself.

It was supposed to be "for crying out loud, what did you say?"

Or something. I was agreeing with you BTW LOL

Mohahahaha

• Like 1

'Upsets'? No.

'Depresses'? Yes.

It's sad that many people seem to no longer care about the correct use of language. I guess I'm just old-fashioned and like to see 'word-crafters' using the language accurately and correctly. I try (and probably fail) to emulate them and improve my own efforts...

Just as when I drive I try to not get in the way of others, position my car properly, read the traffic ahead, not tailgate or subject my passengers to needless g-forces.. When I cook, I try to make the food not only taste better than the last time I made that dish, but present it attractively, rather than just lazily slap it onto the plate. In my work I read (and critique/reject..) many documents - from management procedures to presentations, from scientific reports / analyses to doctoral theses.. Apart from the content, if any of those contain poor grammar and/or spelling mistakes, they may be open to misinterpretation and look ridiculous .. and will likely be sent back for correction..

It's all about good communication and pride in your work/language.

PS - perhaps contrary to the above, I do find some of the new 'techniques' useful - for example, when confronted with a 'wall of text', TL;DR works nicely, I think..

A+

• Like 1

I know I make my share of grammatical errors and a there are a few basic spelling words I like to butcher. It is a combination of ignorance and yes, laziness. But also forgetfulness, some rules just don't stick for me.

I'm sure my gravestone will read "Here lays..." and I think that may even be wrong on a moral level.

Haha...I had to google it myself.

It was supposed to be "for crying out loud, what did you say?"

Or something. I was agreeing with you BTW LOL

Mohahahaha

I do find sometimes googling comes up with some wierd interpretations, great if its in context, but it can also make us look pretty silly sometimes, like you talking about crying out loud and me thinking you want to debate NPT Pipe Elbow Adapters. lol

• Like 1

BTW, there are times when despite knowing the rules pretty well, I still roll out an error, e.g. with apostrophes..

Yes, theres time's when I forget how to use them thing's - so thank heaven's I can go back and edit my post's so no-one will even spot my carelessness..

:D

• Like 1

BTW, there are times when despite knowing the rules pretty well, I still roll out an error, e.g. with apostrophes..

Yes, theres time's when I forget how to use them thing's - so thank heaven's I can go back and edit my post's so no-one will even spot my carelessness..

:D

I really don't think you have anything to worry about Chrizs. My eyes hungrily devoured your well written post... it felt soothing and soft. Thankyou. :yes:

• Like 2

A very common error seems to be typing (accidentally?) the word 'quiet' when, clearly, the word the writer meant to use is 'quite'. Spellchecker would miss that I guess, so I should just let it go.

Can't help but wonder though, do the online newspapers have proof-readers at all?

• Like 2

Some unfortunate keyboard typos are so awesome that it is beautiful. Like 'gimme a sex' and 'i'll sh-*-t my mouth now'.

Edited by _Only
  • Like 2

Can't help but wonder though, do the online newspapers have proof-readers at all?

i'm fairly certain they don't. if they do, they need to fire them lol

• Like 1

http://www.dailymail...RS-reports.html

Head teacher advertises for someone to check the teachers' grammar, spelling etc mistakes!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2236494/Teachers-leaked-questions-new-basics-reading-test-year-olds-parenting-web-forums.html

This too ^ ^ , is just cheating ...... plain and simple. We're all doooomed, I tell you! DOOMED!

Edited by ouija ouija

http://www.dailymail...web-forums.html

This too ^ ^ , is just cheating ...... plain and simple. We're all doooomed, I tell you! DOOMED!

this is shameful

such a rip off for those students who fall behind because of inflated marking. if you don't know something you don't know it and you cannot build on something you don't know, hence your learning capabilities are severly crippled.

• Like 1

I'm not talking about smart asses or people who are being witty correcting the grammar of others.

I'm talking about people who just get angry and feel the irrational need to correct everything to the point it upsets them. Why is this? Is it some form of OCD? Maybe bad grammar symbolizes a sort of disrespect?

I'm not trying to be smart like "lul grammar nazi stupid". I'm seriously curious why.

Yes, it's a form of OCD. And I am poor on correct grammer.

I have a friend who, rambling grammatically incorrect statements countered me, proclaiming, "listen to what I mean, not what I'm saying"

• Like 2

Because some people are unnecessarily anal that's why. I could care less about someone's grammer. If I can't understand them, I'll ask. 90 % of the time when people turn on my grammer it's because they cannot compete within the actual argument. It becomes a useful ad hominim to make themselves feel better.

92% of the time, I then go back and point out the myriad of grammatical flaws in their complaint about my grammer. This really makes them angry.

People with their nose in the air have no business makeing mistakes of their own.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 2

this is shameful

such a rip off for those students who fall behind because of inflated marking. if you don't know something you don't know it and you cannot build on something you don't know, hence your learning capabilities are severly crippled.

Missed some capitalization there along with proper sentence structure,, and your comma belongs after "something" not really after "hence" although a comma after "hence" could be optional. There also needs to be another comma after "it".

You remember your coordinating conjunction rules don't you. :D

---- just haveing fun----

Edited by Seeker79

30682907.jpg
  • Like 1

grammar isn't as big a deal to me as a message filled with simple spelling errors.

it's one thing to have a few typos, or spell a word or two wrong here and there, but illiteracy is a major problem that is being swept under the rug - not just on the internet, but in all aspects of life.

that is why it bothers me as much as it does.

i understand completely that english is not everyone's first language, and i am not referring to those people.

Illiteracy is really something, that bugs me out.

I'm not talking about smart asses or people who are being witty correcting the grammar of others.

I'm talking about people who just get angry and feel the irrational need to correct everything to the point it upsets them. Why is this? Is it some form of OCD? Maybe bad grammar symbolizes a sort of disrespect?

I'm not trying to be smart like "lul grammar nazi stupid". I'm seriously curious why.

It's not irrational and i'll tell you why. Some months ago i met a woman online in Facebook. I was all excited, because i like meeting new people, except that one thing really annoyed me . This woman was making at least 2 misspellings in every single word she wrote. We were both Greeks, but i had a very hard time in understanding what she was writing. My eyes couldn't help but hurt after i was reading her replies. Illiteracy can't make me dislike a person, but it is a major problem. I do not judge these people, as i always tend to be patient, but it really bugs me to see so many mistakes in one's writing. It's not disrespect, but it is really annoying! Edited by CuriousGreek

I find it interesting that there are so many people here bothered by what others believe in or find important.

I am not joking when I say that I have stopped pursuing a couple of girls I've been interested in because of their grammar.

Does that make me a bad person?

Edit: I don't usually make mention of grammar in here because we have a broad mix of people who don't necessarily use English as their first language and I'm sure I make mistakes too. (Although if someone writes a horrendous post I might mention it in a 'niceish' way)

Wow, so bad grammar prevents stalking!

BTW, you don't know how to spell "Timothy".

I only get mad when I can't understand somebody. I like communication quick and simple because I tend to go on tangents and god awful rants. I figure if people can't understand why somebody is doing something different then they pounce. Why should grammar be held to different standards? People want everything to be faster and more efficient. I figure it's easier by not complaining about it, and if I really need help to understand them I ask.

But if your following a set of rules to make sure I don't explode well I'm going to be on your ass to make sure you get that right. I don't think I'd be fond of exploding. :yes: