Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Will global warming change our diets ?

Saru

There could soon be shortages of staple foods like potatoes due to the effects of climate change.

The United Nations committee on world food security has issued an alarming new report on the impact of global warming: we may have to stop eating potatoes and get used to bananas instead.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Potatoes aren't namby-pamby vegetables like aubergines and asparagus, you know. It's going to take more than a bit of gradual global warming to see them off B)

potatoes.jpg

• Like 1

I'll still be the resident lead farmer.

You farm lead? How does that work? You steal it off church rooves?

Interesting.. But as long as there is chocolate all will be well.

s114.gif

There will be. I'm have gather mass amounts of chocolate in a secret and secured location, frozen to keep it from melting, in case there is a unexpected chocolate apocalypse at the end of this year in December. So no worries fellow chocolate worshipper, all is well.

All hail the chocolate.

All hail the chocolate.

• Like 2

If the Earth isn't suitable for farming, then I'll just have to go to Farmville on Facebook to get my rice and potatoes.

All sorts of things will change our diet (and are doing so already).

If global warming does indeed exist, that will be of course another factor.

Right now, population growth with a a limited amout of agricultural land is the most obvious reason for coming change of diet.

Our diets will change due to: realization on what is good for us, not wanting chemicals, not eating animals, vegetarianism and veganism is taking its course, I know you love your meat, but this is the trend. Meat eaters: be careful about what you put in your mouth. Everything else eaters: Be careful. These people have dirtied up everything. Yes our stomachs are resistant, but gosh darn, we as humans have survived eating long red curly bisquits made of fried bits of cheese wiz for this long. That and Coka-Cola so come on; I'm sure that's the same as Radio-activity...

and I do know meat is healthy, but I do think we need to look at it. Seafood too, and that is so sad. I feel like Seafood could be contamined the worste because it is in the Sea and sea-creatures bodies are very absorbant. I heard that oysters in the Pacific North West are no longer fertile, and many other atrocoties, meaning no more baby oysters. So if you partake, you better enjoy them while they last. Scallops sure are getting smaller and smaller, and don't taste nearly as good as I have had in years. Maybe its the weather, the shift.... wasn't that the title of this, yes Global Warming... I agree. Global Warming changes the climate, the food produce, the weather, the food. We have greater exports and are familiar with more foods.

Chiquita banana was boycotted back in the late 90's because of their exposure to commiting acts of slavery on their farms, in what I understand to be large porportions. They have still been doing business but took their labels of much of their produce. They were not prominant for a while. Nobody talked about it and I don't think many people remember, but they are back and putting their labels on everything. Starbucks sells their bananas, individually with a label on each one, for a dollor. Anyway, these types of things play into what we are eating as well.

The pic for this topic is what made me think of Chiquita...

Edited by SpiritWriter

& of course I haven't researched so it could be that Chiquita cleaned up their act?

then again, slavery happens around the world

• Like 1

Look forward. We'll be selling bananas out of Canada.

The, "Canada Banana".

I'm so copyrighting that.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

Coming off my first year of growing more than 50% of my produce organically and without the use of city water, I think I'll be just fine. I still have dozens of potatoes in bags stored for winter to boot!

I am still waiting to be able to grow exotic fruit, grapes and tropical plants that we were promised to be able to do in the South of England 30 years ago.

I couldn't even get my Pumpkins to ripen this year due to the awful summer.

Look forward. We'll be selling bananas out of Canada.

The, "Canada Banana".

I'm so copyrighting that.

The Canana...sweet!

• 2 weeks later...

in the future--near, far, or parallel--only the very rich will have such things as real food...they'll be the only ones who will be able to afford them, and they wont want to share...

• 1 month later...