Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nail biting classed as a mental disorder

Still Waters

Think of the alternative to nail biting. Is this preferable?

http://www.google.co...ingernails long

Yuck! Yuck! and thrice YUCK!! I don't know how people can live their day-to-day lives with nails that long. They must need help with everything they do ....... oh god! it doesn't bear thinking about :wacko:

• Like 1

Awesome, now that its got a medical designation i can get me some of that taxpayer funded welfare and social security disability.

Because instead of just being a bad habit now its not my fault.

Thank you Obama!

Awesome, now that its got a medical designation i can get me some of that taxpayer funded welfare and social security disability.

Because instead of just being a bad habit now its not my fault.

Thank you Obama!

You may have to 'up your game' a bit ..... I think all your fingertips will need to be bleeding profusely before you'll qualify for help :D

That's actually exactly right. It's always a matter of degree. Habits that significantly affect normal functioning can rise to the level of being considered a mental disorder.

OCD is most-commonly characterized by unreasonable thoughts and fears (obsessions) that lead you to do repetitive behaviors (compulsions). It's important to note that only certain types of nail biters--the extreme cases--fit into this category. "As with hair pulling and skin picking, nail biting isn't a disorder unless it is impairing, distressing, and meets a certain clinical level of severity," says Carol Mathews, M.D., a psychiatrist at the University of California, San Francisco. "That is not the vast majority of nail bitters," she says. "It is a very small minority of people."

What counts as clinical severity? "They have bitten so much that they are getting infections," Mathews says. "There is physical damage that is impairing their ability to use their hands."

Every time a psych needs a phd they make a new disease. I was instructed at work not to use the term "brain storm"as some tosser doctor decided to use that term for a mental disease in children. And therefore it is now politically incorrect. This guy hijacked the English language. Joke.

If this is being called a disorder, then they might as well label tapping feet the same thing.

If this is being called a disorder, then they might as well label tapping feet the same thing.

They already do .... it's called Restless Legs Syndrome(seriously) :)

• Like 1

Okay this is about the dumbest thing I have heard. They want everything to be a mental disorder so we can see how f'ed up we all are? Nail biting isn't hard to quit. I did it as a young teenager on my own without help of any kind.

I don't see why you couldn't quit doing this habit and congratulations for stopped doing it (not using irony here), but there might be people around the globe, who can't quit this habit so easily as you. Edited by CuriousGreek
  • Like 1

Too-much in my opinion. Biting your nails can be a very ''strong'' habit to many people, but it's not something, we could just say it's a mental disorder.

• 1 month later...