Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Outrage as diver drags live octopus from sea

Still Waters

A rising tide of outrage is forming after pictures emerged of a 20-year-old diver who dragged a giant Pacific octopus from its watery home and then killed and ate it for his friends art project.

Angry fellow divers from the shore of Seattle took photographs of Dylan Mayer proudly standing with the large octopus and then watched in disbelief as he and his friend tossed the still live 30 pound female onto the bed of his truck before driving off.

http://www.dailymail...ome-dinner.html

Hope it chokes him....not enough to kill him, just enough to make him feel the fear and pain that octopus must have felt.

• Like 1

i would bring it home and cook it also .. whats wrong to eat an octopus?

• Like 1

I beleive the giant pacific octopus is a protected species. And as such this guy should be charged with poaching and whatever else. I don't care at all that it was an octopus. I only care that the law was broken and this fellow was caught doing it.

At least he did eat it, rather then simply tossing it out on a dirt road somewhere.

Edit: The article actually says the octopus is NOT protected, so no crime... Again, at least he ate it.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

According to the article news video, he didn't do anything illegal :unsure2:

According to the article news video, he didn't do anything illegal :unsure2:

There it's outrage because this is an intelligent animal and we relate it to us. There is a great documentary on the eating of intelligent animals called, The Problem with Popplers, starring Turanga Leela who explores the issue with anti-eater Lrrr of Omicron Persii 8. Very controversial stuff.

I beleive the giant pacific octopus is a protected species. And as such this guy should be charged with poaching and whatever else. I don't care at all that it was an octopus. I only care that the law was broken and this fellow was caught doing it.

At least he did eat it, rather then simply tossing it out on a dirt road somewhere.

Edit: The article actually says the octopus is NOT protected, so no crime... Again, at least he ate it.

Nope, it's not. It was caught off West Seattle on Alki beach. You have to have a license to fish for them, and the limit is one. It's really no different than fishing for salmon off the same beach. I can't see why people are so freaked out by it. Is it because it's pretty? Or because people aren't used to seeing them outside a restaurant where theyve just ordered it for dinner?

People fish for octopus in Puget Sound ALL the time. They just don't typically do it off of Alki which is a famous beach, FULL of people all the time, and it's always crowded with scuba divers. I'd imagine the outrage stems from people just never really seeing people hunt octopus before.

I live fairly close to Alki beach and I've even seen these octopus while swimming or sailing in Puget Sound. They are VERY abundant.

Edited by MissMelsWell

People eat fish and other animals all the time.

There it's outrage because this is an intelligent animal and we relate it to us. There is a great documentary on the eating of intelligent animals called, The Problem with Popplers, starring Turanga Leela who explores the issue with anti-eater Lrrr of Omicron Persii 8. Very controversial stuff.

Um, okay.

I can't see the problem. I like a bit of octopus and squid. It's delicious. I often buy calimari coated in breadcrumbs from the local supermarket.

Some people still haven't cottoned on to the fact that humans are natural omnivores and that seafood is the natural part of the human diet.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

The octopus may be, vaguely, intelligent but I reckon it'd struggle with Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

• Like 1

The octopus may be, vaguely, intelligent but I reckon it'd struggle with Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

Hehe... I hope so! ;)

The reason everyone was outraged,is because the area he did this in,is more like a gentle tidal poll,where people swim with the animals for fun and pleasure . The animals are not afraid of humans for this reason . No one has ever fished this area,or removed an animal ,for any reason.

They said its like taking a lamb from a petting zoo,for some lunch .

The other divers demanded he be banned from returning . It was the other divers who made the initial outcry .

Supplies shops in the area have banned him,and he's gotten death threat .

Maybe it taught him a well needed lesson .