Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bhutan aims to be first 100% organic nation

Still Waters

The Himalayan kingdom of Bhutan, famed for seeking "happiness" for its citizens, is aiming to become the first nation in the world to turn its home-grown food and farmers 100 percent organic.

The tiny Buddhist-majority nation wedged between China and India has an unusual and some say enviable approach to economic development, centred on protecting the environment and focusing on mental well-being.

http://www.google.co...295352b5495.481

• Like 1

Organic is great for a small community but wouldn't produce the food needed for the world. Organic means no pesticides of any kind. Bugs will destroy a plant. In my own garden I rarely use pesticides but there are times I have to because of an infestation if I want to get anything out of it.

I fertilize in the winter with horse manure.

I had already decided to move here when I'm old, it's not that easy though. There are ways around it. Sikkim in India which is next door would be pretty good too.

If I could I'd move there now and I'm far from old. Not because of the organic either just seems they have they right idea on how to live. Only thing I'd miss is access to the ocean but It would be worth it.

Most insect infestations can be taken care of by other insects. For some of the stuff I grow at home I use ants. Give those little buggers sugar water or nectar and they leave the plants alone and go for other insects. Wouldn't do it to close to the house though you might get house guests.