Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Lucy Walk Too Slow for Her Group Mates

Still Waters

If you’re on the shorter end of the height spectrum, you know how frustrating it can be to take a stroll with someone who’s tall. At times, you might have to remind your companion to slow down, that your shorter legs can’t keep up.

This might have been an even bigger problem for our famous ancestor, Lucy. Within the species Australopithecus afarensis, there was considerable variability in height and limb length, and different members of the species may have had vastly different preferences for walking speeds, new research suggests.

How did our ancestors cope with such a dilemma?

http://blogs.smithso...er-group-mates/

My 4yr runs everywhere we go ,I chase him. My husband is 6ft 4in tall, I'm 5ft 4in and he chases me.

Never in my life have I had to tell a taller male to wait or slow down, they just do.

What as a stupid study.

• Like 1

My wife's a foot shorter than I am and I have to tell her to slow down.

My MIL is tiny and about 5' feet tall and I can't keep up with her. She's a dynamo. I am 6 feet tall. When all of us go out someplace or just go walking MIL can outwalk all of us.

I don't think the size and pace has anything to do with it. I think it is energy. I think Lucy might have just have ran out of energy. Her diet may have had something to do with it.