Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Physiology of Conciousness

BlackBearWolf

I was thinking about thinking on my drive home from work today.

Thoughts and consciousness trigger electrical impulses in our neurons and synapses, and this is verifible be science with instruments like an ekg (brain wave activity). But what I dont know is how locally contained this electrical activity is? For example does it travel in all directions from your head at the speed of light? Or is it contained to your cranium or 1 ft outside of it? This is important to me because, I was extrapolating that all living things including humans might be something like wi fi hot spots, constantly sending out electical waves (thoughts) out into the universe.

I assume we dont have the technology to create machines that can pick out and decipher these waves in the air and translate them back into there original thoughts. But that is the brains main function. It can decode these electrical impulses into what we call consciousness or understanding. Is it possible that our brain is capable of being somewhat like an antenna that can sometimes pick out random thoughts out of the air that did not orginate from it? This would explain alot of the paranormal and possibly psychosis like schisophrenia. But It would also allow for something like a collective consciousness where all thoughts and knowledge since the begining are accessible like a giant server in the sky. Does anyone with knowledge of science or physics know if this is or isnt possible? Thanks

Edited by BlackBearWolf
  • Like 2

Well I don't know how possible it is, no scientist but I wonder if this isn't why sometimes I can pick up on what someone is thinking or when someone thinks I said something when I was only thinking it.

• Like 1

or when you get the feeling that someone is behind you. Or how moms know when something is wrong even from great distance. .

That's an interesting question. I am under the impression that electrical impulses cannot travel on their own without a medium, in this case the nerves.

While it seems that the brain produces a incredibly weak electrical field as a by-product, I would think that it would have no effect on anything as it is not being focused and directed.

It would be sort of being in a house, you want to use electricity and you happen to live next to a transformer. While you might be able to use the stray currents to make a florescent bulb glow, the electricity would be useless unless it can be channeled for actual use.

Perhaps we are far more like a computer where our "consciousness" is like the computer screen that turns all the electrical information into something comprehensive so our bodies can function without being bogged down by the gigabytes of information it receives everyday.

Maybe what we think is "psychic" is really memorized biological cues.

I don't know..it is too complex to explain in just a short paragraph.

I like where your going with that ryu. Im curious

if the electric impulses you create with neurons turn to wave energy which propagate, then you wouldnt need a focused beam. It seems like all these questions need to be answered before we have a computer, human brain interface or a dream recorder. Both of which I want dearly

Well...I am just thinking that regardless of the nature of the energy, if one wants to utilize it then it needs to be focused and directed. Even light from a lamp can be made more useful when it is directed by a simple lamp shade.

Fiber optics can make it even more versatile...think of it this way..the only way a thought can be made to affect something outside of its origin is to be focused enough and delivered in such a way that a digital receiver can pick it up and transmute it into something that the user can use.

Or..is a more simplified example, sound cannot be intelligible or useful unless it is either manipulated, such as ones mouth and lips or purposely created using deliberately created vibrations from, say, the plucking of strings on a guitar.

Even radio waves are relatively useless to us unless it is modulated and filtered. Same thing, I assume, would be applied to thought frequencies.

As far as the weakness of the electric field is concerned, im reminded of sharks and how they have a sensory organ dedicated to detecting biological electric fiealds. im curios about the range of that

I guess the brain is that filter and modulator you are refering to. It seems as if that is one of its functions. but im begining to think that the actually thoughts are a by product of the neuro path ways of the brain. and the electricity is just fuel or transportation method of thoughts. but if it is transporting thoughts then it is possible that those thoughts are contained within the electricity

I was thinking about thinking on my drive home from work today.

Thoughts and consciousness trigger electrical impulses in our neurons and synapses, and this is verifible be science with instruments like an ekg (brain wave activity). But what I dont know is how locally contained this electrical activity is? For example does it travel in all directions from your head at the speed of light? Or is it contained to your cranium or 1 ft outside of it? This is important to me because, I was extrapolating that all living things including humans might be something like wi fi hot spots, constantly sending out electical waves (thoughts) out into the universe.

I assume we dont have the technology to create machines that can pick out and decipher these waves in the air and translate them back into there original thoughts. But that is the brains main function. It can decode these electrical impulses into what we call consciousness or understanding. Is it possible that our brain is capable of being somewhat like an antenna that can sometimes pick out random thoughts out of the air that did not orginate from it? This would explain alot of the paranormal and possibly psychosis like schisophrenia. But It would also allow for something like a collective consciousness where all thoughts and knowledge since the begining are accessible like a giant server in the sky. Does anyone with knowledge of science or physics know if this is or isnt possible? Thanks

I like this direction of questioning..

Unfortunately I don't know if anyone in the scientific fields can answer these yet.. But there's probably plenty of people with experiances that could answer these questions..

imho, not all thought's are not an electrical or chemical product of the brain, and can be shared over distances.. Ego conciousness is chemical and electrical (mortal). but the true-self or mind consiousness is not confined to the body (immortal).

• Like 1

Well, we just recently found out that about 90+ % ? of the matter and energy in the Universe is "dark" .. so maybe there are still a couple things we don't yet understand about consciousness ? .. and energy. and matter for that matter.

This might be silly , but, i swear spiders pick up on my thoughts/intentions when, without moving, the thought enters my mind, to try to step on them. They suddenly run as fast as they can! I've tried it lots of times and it never fails! lol

wi-fi huh? i like it :)

I Ego conciousness is chemical and electrical (mortal). but the true-self or mind consiousness is not confined to the body (immortal).

What if the true self (immortal soul) your speaking of is chemical or energy? It very well may be. we have no way of determining this yet. Whether our true self is immaterial or not doesnt take away from the awesomeness of it though.

Is it possible that our brain is capable of being somewhat like an antenna that can sometimes pick out random thoughts out of the air that did not orginate from it? This would explain alot of the paranormal and possibly psychosis like schisophrenia. But It would also allow for something like a collective consciousness where all thoughts and knowledge since the begining are accessible like a giant server in the sky. Does anyone with knowledge of science or physics know if this is or isnt possible? Thanks

You have touched here on one of the most complex, studied, and written about philosophical issues ever raised by mankind.

There is no clearcut answer.

Estimates vary, but through simple conversation, it is thought that language is only a small part of the communication. Body language is attributed with much of the information transfer and some academics believe that telepathy, although elusive to scientific research, plays a key role also.

Easy to see examples of this when using message forums such as this, when sarcastic, or tongue-in-cheek replies often unintentionally spiral into flame wars between individuals with similar views on a subject.

From a technological standpoint, the internet acts as a medium for a global collective conscience. A major portion of the thoughts, knowledge, and communication of mankind are channeled through the labyrith of thousands of servers at Google every day.

Ivy league universities and colleges have funded many in depth studies on telepathy and collective conscience. We all experience daily the phenomenon of having a thought "pop" into our minds in elaborate detail even when there seems to have been nothing in our current reality that would prompt it. Random thoughts happening even when we are focussed on the tasks at hand.

Perhaps the notion of our collective conscience is simply that we share the same or similar reality, hence similar thoughts or actions are prompted.

You could spend a lifetime studying collective conscience, as many scholars and academics have, without any definitive conclusions other than in the philosophical sense.

As with most "unexplained mysteries" the truth is out there somewhere.

Edited by synchronomy

What if the true self (immortal soul) your speaking of is chemical or energy? It very well may be. we have no way of determining this yet. Whether our true self is immaterial or not doesnt take away from the awesomeness of it though.

There was a study conducted by an anethetist, err, I forget who or where, but it's in the 2nd video in this link.

http://www.unexplain...topic=230077= primacy of&st=0

They conducted an experiment whereby a person's consiousness resonated (rung out) when it was stimulated by a high EM field.

This resonation of the persons conciousness worked untill the person was put to sleep. at which which point, the persons consiousness no longer resonated. This proved that the persons true consciousness was not present in the sleeping body..

Edited to add: It is a scientific study, but it's quite crude..

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 1

This discussion us a lot about Rupart sheldrakes morphia fields and other theories. Look up his discussios on YouTube. I spent some time with him in a workshop a few months ago. Very interesting stuff.

This discussion us a lot about Rupart sheldrakes morphia fields and other theories. Look up his discussios on YouTube. I spent some time with him in a workshop a few months ago. Very interesting stuff.

I just bought "The Evolutionary Mind: Conversations on Science, Imagination and Spirit" with Sheldrake, McKenna and Abraham... Haven't had the time to really sit down with it, but what I've read so far has been very interesting and though-provoking. I'm excited to read more.

Thanks for posting all of the resourcrs topic contributors.

@ professor T. I watched the entire video you linked. I really enjoyed it as it touch upon fascinating ideas such as, consciousness is just the act of experiencing. So all things including atoms experience some sort of consciousness. Applying this to my op, it would then be possible to be telepathicly intertwined with all matter. We can communicate with mother earth and beyond!

I also looked at the amorphic field theory suggested by another poster. The way I understand it , consciousness interacts with others and evolves. I see this alligning with string theory and similar vibrations banding together to create matter.

Someone earlier mentioned the internet being a a form of collective consciousness. I recently saw some graphic comparisons of how this global network looks just like our neurological pathways.

• Like 2